General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding gear questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019 | 03:06 AM
Mikey21991
|
2nd Gear
Default Riding gear questions

I was curious what riding gear everyone has jackets riding pants etc. Got my bike last year wasnt sure what to buy.

Old 03-02-2019 | 03:49 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain

Through the colder months my go to jacket has been the Off The Chain by Speed And Strength. Through the warmer months i use Scorpion Covert shirts and a Hot Shot vest from First Mfg.
Current favorite pants are Speed And Strength Critical Mass Jeans, but i also use Draggin' Jeans and Dainese jeans.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:11 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I do the ATGATT thing. I have a pair over textile/mesh pants I put over my jeans. If I ever go down and slide, I'd like to keep my skin. I started a few years back with a textile/mesh jacket (Fly Terra Trek 4 - not the "typical Harley" jacket) but I added a nice Harley FXRG leather jacket to my stash, which I wear in cooler temps. Full face helmet, riding gloves, and some good riding boots. Oh, and ear plugs are a must.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:14 AM
archie31636@gmail.com
Stage IV
Default What I ride in.

I ride in the classic leather motorcycle jacket and chaps. I'm a construction worker so I wear the same boots I work in. In the rain I wear the cheap Frog Tog rain suit with some rain protective boot covers. You can spend hundreds of dollars on leathers if you want. But my jackets are usually less than 200 and chaps are the cheaper ones as well. The rain gear is like 30 for complete suit. But you need to wear that rain suit under jacket and chaps. Because if not they will get on your exhaust pipes and melt. That you can spend way more cash than I too. The less expensive stuff works for me fine. Hell I'm riding my bike not in a fashion show. For helmet I use different ones depending on how I'm riding. If I'm just kicking around town it's a half helmet. If I'm on a long run over few hundred miles I use a modular helmet.

Last edited by archie31636@gmail.com; 03-02-2019 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-02-2019 | 05:26 AM
Mikey21991
|
2nd Gear

As far as I riding boots I currently have ariat steel toe boots, a bell helmet. I'm not into fashion diesel mechanic ha, just looking for good pants, and jackets in case something happened.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:39 AM
brownie4412
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Mikey21991
I was curious what riding gear everyone has jackets riding pants etc. Got my bike last year wasnt sure what to buy.
Originally Posted by Mikey21991
As far as I riding boots I currently have ariat steel toe boots, a bell helmet. I'm not into fashion diesel mechanic ha, just looking for good pants, and jackets in case something happened.
I'll be the annoying lecture guy today....I see you're from helmet optional Ohio. Wear the helmet all the time. All the gear in the world won't keep you alive if "something happened" and you bounce your dome off the pavement. That being said, have you been to Iron Pony in Columbus? They have literally everything in one place. If you hit them up at the right time they have ridiculous sales. I would go there and just start trying **** on, see what feels good to you.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:41 AM
Mikey21991
|
2nd Gear

I have not been to iron pony I'm from the Cleveland area.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:50 AM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member

Sky is the limit you can spent a lot buy a lot but is it the right stuff you never know until you hit the ground. I would start with a good helmet, riding jacket and pants along with a good pair of riding boots and some nice riding gloves that will get you started and just add things when you can. Good luck Ride Safe and Ride A Lot

Old 03-02-2019 | 06:13 AM
leachman
Road Captain

If you have a cycle gear near you, it may be worth stopping in to try on several different options. I am sure I am not the only one who has a wide variety of clothing options for all conditions. The trick I think is finding the most effective jacket for all conditions. For me, since I have a touring bike there is always a pair of chaps as well as my HD high vis rain gear, a zip up sweatshirt and my hd wind/waterproof jacket on the bike. I also have different layer gloves. I wear a modular helmet and carry a half helmet in tour pack. I generally dont worry about getting on my bike day to day and wondering if I forgot something if weather starts to change....Just remember what works for one person may not work for you. Good luck, and happy riding.

Old 03-02-2019 | 06:37 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

I am an old guy and like to put my money towards quality and be done with it. It is helpful that my favorite leather shop is not far from me but they (Fox Creek Leathers) have free shipping. I have their jacket and chaps, also bought a pair of Chippewa engineer boots from them and a couple pairs of gauntlet gloves, one pair waterproof. I have learned that you get what you pay for and as far as upper end leather, Fox Creek is pretty fairly priced. Now take into consideration that they are located in the middle of some prime riding area and you have the perfect excuse to make the trip and buy from them.

The following users liked this post:
pgpn (03-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Riding gear questions