General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding gear questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019 | 06:50 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

I also have a variety of gear I use depending on conditions. I have a classic style asymmetrical leather jacket, a vented, short collar, leather jacket, a mid-weight pair of chaps, a pair of heavy leather over-pants with side zippers, several style of boots but wear Chippewa engineers the most. I have a cheap Frog Toggs rain suit I keep on one bike and a cheap Coleman rain suit on the other bike.

I won't suggest a helmet since you didn't ask.

Old 03-02-2019 | 07:48 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

To me, a lot depends on what you plan to do. Do you plan trips? Short or long? Local only? I say this because after riding for a few days (insert sarcastic face here!) I do a few long distance trips each year. If you are planning local only I would recommend getting a decent rain suit for wet protect. A decent jacket or two. I have a leather jacket from local Indy. Heavy, cheap (relatively speaking) and warm. I have a textile that is lighter and can be layered. Is warm. I have a mesh jacket for warm weather.
For long distance, trips, or heavy duty riding, I would look to Aerostitch, Klim, or some such "premium" outdoor supplier for a water PROOF jacket and maybe riding pants. I would spend money and get better stuff for touring. Something you can wear and have protection in more of the crap weather you would encounter. This will help keep your closet from being stuffed.
Be careful of what you get for riding britches.... remember you need some protection on the insides of your legs for hot exhaust. Had a buddy who ruined an expensive goretex golf suit on his exhaust. Do some research. Keep asking questions. Depending on your riding style, spend as much as you can for the best you can. They will work better and last longer.

Old 03-02-2019 | 07:56 AM
Mikey21991
|
2nd Gear

The riding that I do is local I'm still a beginner rider, I have signed up for the rider course at the local hd dealer. I rode the bike 1k miles last summer still learning the ropes, thanks for everyone input.

Old 03-02-2019 | 07:57 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Riding Gear

Belstaff Mercury Jacket. Belstaff EZ on pants, both waterproof cordora,both have impact padding. Original Harley Willie G jacket,form the 1989. All American leather chaps made in the USA,no longer available. Duluth fire hose pants in place of jeans. Wesco motorcycle boots, waterproof leather custom made, or my Chippewa ralley boots.I also have Belstaff summer riding jacket ,same material as the military uses in desert Alot of money tied up in gear. I wear what ever depending on distance I'm going, temperature. I take the Belstaff gear if I going for a week or longer trip. Day trips leather if it spring or fall

Old 03-02-2019 | 09:58 AM
VAVOL
Novice

After picking up my Slim last month, I visited the local HD dealer for gear ... I ended up choking and laughing my way out the door to Revzilla.com. I now love my First Manufacturing Vendetta Leather jacket and the Gringo S helmet, plus I wear some old Danners steel toed boots. I prefer shopping on-line and if you research the sizing and comments, its not too difficult to gauge sizing correctly. I did throw my HD dealer a bone by purchasing the Epoch Foam eyewear, although those can also be found cheaper at epocheyewear.com I'm now in the market for some lighter boots, summer jacket and rain gear, and I'm guessing I'll purchase all from Revzilla ... can't go wrong!

Old 03-02-2019 | 10:00 AM
VAVOL
Novice

TheMurf - I like the idea of the Duluth pants vise jeans ... will pick dome up! Thanks for mentioning that ...

Old 03-02-2019 | 11:19 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Default Riding Gear

Your very welcome.I got the original fire hose work pants. Very nicely made and they are very tuff material. Lots if pockets for storage. I believe much better than riding in jeans. Duluth has some good gear. I will also suggest if you want U S made gear,check out Areostich. Not cheap for sure but very high quality stuff in their catalog. They have everything for bikers who like to travel,from gear, boots,bags,tools, you name they carry it.

The following users liked this post:
VAVOL (03-02-2019)
Old 03-02-2019 | 04:47 PM
Het
Banned

Lots of used riding gear on ebay for cheap. I've picked up some very nice HD jackets, and even a very nice leather on the cheap. I usually wear XL jackets and coats. HD clothing seems to run one size small. 2XL fits me perfect. I went to the local dealer for size fitment. The HD leather I wanted was over $400. Found one on ebay for $160.

Old 03-02-2019 | 05:59 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

ALL my jackets are HD. Costly but they know how to do it right.
1) LEather jacket.
2) netted jacket
3) hoodie

Pants are ALWAYS 5.11 Tactical style# 74273. Lots of pockets. too expensive to buy anymore at 511 so I get them on eBay used.

T's are whatever.

Boots are custom made for me in El Paso, Texas. I make sure the sole/heel have the LARGE vibram lugs.

Leathers I think I got at a bike event. Does not matter the quality since I do not use them a lot. But good enough they are soft/supple.

Glasses are Liberty only. Walmart can get them w/perscription. I can get the model # if u like.

Helmet is Scorpion.

OH, GLOVES, my daily riding gloves are ones the just in jet fighters. Lasts a long time works on GPS garmin, great flexibility.

Lastly, my belt is the police duty belt. <-- EXCELLENT to hang things on and a lot of things. Side arm and everything!

Old 03-02-2019 | 06:23 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
ALL my jackets are HD. Costly but they know how to do it right.
Harley Davidson, An American Legend, "Made in China"..........LMAO....

The following users liked this post:
RichM752 (03-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Riding gear questions