General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with chrome

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 10:32 PM
Mdale69
Advanced
Received 47 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel or Wheels Opion

Thank everyone for posting on this thread. I have enjoyed reading all the feedback. Looks like everyone, for the most part, respect chrome.
So I was hoping that some of you would not mind weighing in on a question. Like I said I am going to have my stock enforcer wheels chromed or do an exchange program. I have seen some people do only the front wheel and some do both. To be quite frank the rear wheel does not get much exposure because of the side bags and exhaust they hide 90+% of the rear wheel.The best shot of ever seeing it is when it is on kick stand and you look very low on the right side. Only the real OCD person would ever notice, like ME.
Might be able to ad some pictures tomorrow but i am sure you get the idea.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:36 PM
Mdale69
Advanced
Received 47 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What wheel do you have

Originally Posted by skratch
i like both. not too much of either.

What wheel do you have, they look great!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:38 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdale69
Thank everyone for posting on this thread. I have enjoyed reading all the feedback. Looks like everyone, for the most part, respect chrome.
So I was hoping that some of you would not mind weighing in on a question. Like I said I am going to have my stock enforcer wheels chromed or do an exchange program. I have seen some people do only the front wheel and some do both. To be quite frank the rear wheel does not get much exposure because of the side bags and exhaust they hide 90+% of the rear wheel.The best shot of ever seeing it is when it is on kick stand and you look very low on the right side. Only the real OCD person would ever notice, like ME.
if it were mine and i had the cash i would do both. If you ever sell it someone might talk you down because they would have to have it chromed to match.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,142 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdale69
A year or so ago my front wheel developed a leak due to a small crack, so I replaced it with a new take-off that was chrome instead of the stock aluminum. I thought it wouldn’t matter that the back was aluminum since it was hidden by the bags. Nope - i knew it was different and it might as well have been purple and pink it bothered me every time I saw it. It shows up more than you would think - every time. I approached the bike from the right side and every picture I took, that dull rear wheel just stood out. Compare the pic I posted earlier with my sig pic. So I ended up getting a chrome rear wheel to match. Probably very few people actually noticed but I knew.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,779 Likes on 11,578 Posts

Hi! My name is Jeff, and I’m a Chrome *****.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:05 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Was looking at a '17 Softail. Told the salesman I wanted one in chrome. He said sure all we need to do is figure out how much the chrome costs and add it to the final price. I laughed at him. He said it's what all the cool guys are wanting. I bought nothing. The black look is far cheaper for HD to produce and sell than chrome. The black thing is on it's way out..

Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 AM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,191 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
sweet atv hidden back there. Grizzly or kodiak? Bumper looks yamaha'y. I work on atvs alot in ny, especially their electrical.
202 Grizzly 660 I bought new in 2001 seen one in a magazine article and had to have one! Yamaha hadn't shipped any to North Dakota yet so I drove to South Dakota to purchase it and was told it was the first one shipped to S.D. its been a great machine!

Last edited by Mallard Slayer; 02-27-2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:46 AM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cazador
Just blend it. Not all black and not all chrome. Throw in some carbon fiber.
Exactly, blend it.... Chrome is old school & dated. The look has been around forever, or too long... It will someday be popular again. Thate why I wrapped, boxed and kept all my chrome take off parts....

Old 02-27-2019, 01:51 AM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,690 Likes on 2,904 Posts

Another chrome ***** here. When I bought my "reentry" bike several years ago (after 50 years of not riding), I went for my Heritage mainly based on looks (was not edumacated on other details of various models). (I did spend an hour and a half getting general advice from my long-time HA buddy). I continue to add chrome bits, still have various pieces waiting to be installed (chrome shift linkage, rear brake cylinder cover, hand controls). I like to keep the bike very clean and polished, chrome shiny and a dozen layers of wax on the paintwork. I think of it as a work of art and sometimes just like to stare at it. I even have a chrome bolt for the AC cover in my HD shopping cart.

Sorry, don't have a good pic to post right now so you'll have to live with my avatar pic.

I have never been a fan of the blacked out look, and I especially don't like the flat paints getting more common these days.

But ... each for his own!

Last edited by crtfibl; 02-27-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:00 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,208 Likes on 2,886 Posts
The following users liked this post:
bpav16 (01-17-2022)

Quick Reply: What is wrong with chrome