General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 01:04 PM
Wagondog
Road Captain
Received 445 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdale69

2019 Street Glide Standard Just added the driving lights last week.

Don’t get me wrong I think some of the blacked out motorcycles look really good but I am just old school, I like the traditional look of chrome. I also think the black is a fad that will run its course and the chrome will never get old. Don’t beat me up on that it’s just my opinion. I bought a new Street Glide Standard just for that reason, would have liked the 114 engine but I sacrificed that for the chrome, and saved quite a bit of money also.
So to the point, have been considering having my stock enforcer wheels chromed, haved looked at some aftermarket wheels but seems to me that there is less selection in chrome in that area also, not to mention the prices.
Anyway just wondering am I among the minority that still loves the look of chrome? There is just something about a H-D that has a nice set of shiny chrome wheels that make me smile.
I will agree with chrome being my finish of choice. Strolled around Miracle Mile Harley looking for a bike I would trade my 2000 Heritage for.....not one made the cut.

Old 01-17-2022, 01:44 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

Oh lookie, it's this argument again .....

Old 11-07-2022, 11:48 AM
RainerK
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate the chrome…

Originally Posted by BobRR
I know what is wrong with chrome....IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE!
…. You’re right, the chrome is expensive BECAUSE IT RUSTS!
I bought my first HD, a Road King, and had to give it up after just 2 years because of rust. I live just off the beach/ocean and stored my year round ride under a carport and cover. I would weekly wash the bike, but not bother polishing the chrome and the bike frame started to rust on me.
I didn’t buy a bike to polish it weekly so sold it for a BMW that’s well protected from rusting.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:02 PM
Wagondog
Road Captain
Received 445 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Oh lookie, it's this argument again .....
You confuse expressing an opinion with the need to argue. This is a discussion forum is it not?

Old 11-07-2022, 01:10 PM
RainerK
Stage IV
Default Chrome and rust…

Apparently expressing an opinion that doesn’t favour HD is deemed arguing? My intent was to open the discussion into any direction… confirming HD is for weekend polishers only, HD has rust resistant bikes… maybe blacked out, or perhaps suggesting some form of less intense or contracted out maintenance?

Old 11-07-2022, 01:23 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,666 Likes on 4,223 Posts

Originally Posted by RainerK
Apparently expressing an opinion that doesn’t favour HD is deemed arguing? My intent was to open the discussion into any direction… confirming HD is for weekend polishers only, HD has rust resistant bikes… maybe blacked out, or perhaps suggesting some form of less intense or contracted out maintenance?
hi

this is the internet

there are rules

no intro, you popped in running your mouth, sure this is a place for discussion, but not with ********...sorry to put you in that category so quickly, but I'm an old man and I need boxes to make things simple....you go in the ******* box for now

you resurrected a thread, that you didn't even read....did you no notice it was 4 years old? and it's been called up twice...again, still a dead thread, albeit twice put to rest

don't hide behind some ***** coy "oh isn't this a place for civil discussion?" if you were here to talk, you'd have started by reading

Old 11-07-2022, 01:35 PM
RainerK
Stage IV
Default Chrome vs rust…

So why are you posting if you have nothing to say but to call other poster(s) “*******”.
Give it up, you’re a poser who uses vulgarity to hide lack of ability to contribute.
Notwithstanding, your ilk does draw attention to the post so, I’m still hopeful to hear someone contribute.

Old 11-07-2022, 01:41 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Any material left out in the elements near the ocean will rust and corrode, including the plastics and aluminum that BMW and others use. Not to mention that any chrome my 2015 GTL1600 has is actually plastic; which I cannot imagine doing very well in that environment either. Since the corrosion issue seems to be an isolated issue for a select group; that issue doesn't answer or fit into the original post, which appears to be more about the current attitude of "no chrome, only black".

Old 11-07-2022, 01:43 PM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,666 Likes on 4,223 Posts

Originally Posted by RainerK
So why are you posting if you have nothing to say but to call other poster(s) “*******”.
Give it up, you’re a poser who uses vulgarity to hide lack of ability to contribute.
Notwithstanding, your ilk does draw attention to the post so, I’m still hopeful to hear someone contribute.
you wanted to talk, here i am

if you don't like how I'm saying what I'm saying, consider how you could have started here in a very different way

Old 11-07-2022, 02:05 PM
RainerK
Stage IV
Default Chrome bs rust…

Hopefully no one minds what this old thread has morphed into… it’s what came up when I Googled rust resistant rides. Moving on, I’m not saying bikes should be built from titanium, but HD seems to have an affinity for using more rust prone parts than others. The reasoning appears to be that steel is simply stronger (when not corroded) and I’m not sure on this next point but, I think they’ve actually banned plastics from their bikes.
Titanium bikes are rust proof. Just expensive. Spokes can be made of stainless steel rather than regular steel, rims are made of anodized aluminum, as are seatposts and handlebars. Carbon fibre bikes, wheels and parts don't rust either, but that too seems extreme.I’m just looking for a way of combining my like for the HD ride and my dislike having to polish after every ride or every weekend… we don’t all live in Arizona.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with chrome