General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is considered a lot of riding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 08:19 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: What is considered a lot of riding?

I average about 20k a year but I would like to ride more

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:00 PM
IFRider
Novice

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: The Flail

I purchased my /07 Night train on 6 March 2007, I have put almost 8000 miles on it since then. How many miles have you put on a bike, and what do you consider alot?
To me, a lot is when your riding habits interfer with your family life... other than that, would you wonder if you drive your car "a lot"? Do you drive your car more than your neighbor? Too many stereotypes... ride and enjoy.... JMO
I agree - it probably isn't a number. Enough is when the family decides. And yes, commuting counts. Some of my best rides are commutes and the family doesn't mind at all.

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:01 PM
heritage3dale8
Advanced

I rode 11K miles from June 06 to June 07. I done good huh?

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:14 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member

I purchased my /07 Night train on 6 March 2007, I have put almost 8000 miles on it since then. How many miles have you put on a bike, and what do you consider alot?
I'd guess that's comfortably above average for an '07 Train -They're often call "barhoppers" but all stock with a badlander seat and all,I love taking mine out on the highway for hundreds of miles.Not a touring bike,but I'll take it anywhere.Got my '07 at the end of Sept '06 and purposely kept the pre winter miles down so the 1,000 mile check up would be in Spring.I'll be just under 5,000 milesbefore the weekend's over.

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:03 AM
seikan1
Road Warrior

Well...I take mine out every Friday night down to the karaoke bar. Then on Saturdays I ride it to the Harley shop up the street to mingle with the other bikers. Sometimes, after I am done cleaning and waxing it on Sunday I will ride it around the block to make sure that it is all dry before I put it back in the garage. I guess I will put about 300 miles on it this year....but that is better than last year when I had all of the "stuff" put on my bike. I only was able to ride it about 180 miles. But I don't understand all the problems that people have with the seat. My stock seat is comfortable for the long trips that I do. I rode it 16 miles one Saturday. It didn't hurt me at all.

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:08 AM
scarygt
Road Master

13K a year on my old Zuki C50 in Ohio riding about 8 months a year. I'm thinking that I'll be over 15K with the new roadking classic... heck maybe I'll hit 21K this year so that I can call myself a Hard Core Biker!!!

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:09 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

Bought my RK last May, and from then til May of this year, I put 8000 on it, but was parked from Mid December to the end of February.

Traded it on an Ultra on about May 5th of this year. Have put 3000 on the Ultra so far.

Prior to that (while still in the Army) I had purchased a new Sport bike. Owned it for 3 yrs, and put 48000 on it. For 2 of those 3 yrs however, I didnt own a car, and was in Germany, where I traveled everywhere.

Fo now, I consider myself average. I am doin good if I get 50 miles a day in, and 30 of that is commuting.

Old 07-07-2007 | 12:15 AM
x2lee
Banned

Yes, I consider you a junkie. Join the club

Old 07-07-2007 | 01:00 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior

I put 7000 this past year on my 2 bikes,had the Harley since Feburary and lately I have been working a lot[:'(]Anyone know how to strap a 20 ft ladder to a bike plus cable and boxes

Old 07-07-2007 | 01:23 AM
chappy
Road Warrior

Because of the variety of working hours each of us have to work or doing something other than riding along withlimitations of riding seasons because of where we live, many of us have different annual mileage on the clock. I have to squeeze my miles into fewer months then many here have to. And on those years that I can swing going to Daytona I have to trailer. That's about the time I get the same old nonsense from a guyliving inTexas or a similar state that has nearly perfect riding days every day of the year and how they will never trailer their bike. Well good for them!
So, may I restate your question as this; How many miles have you put on a bike in a day, day after dayand what do you consider alot?
So, my answer to that is this; "Every last mile that I can and then some more."
That'swhat I consider alot of miles. And every one of those miles are mine!!
The day to day ride may vary in number for many reasons.
And sad to say, some days even when it would otherwisw be a perfect riding day, I might have duties that just will notallow me toride my bike. Some might say these reasonsare nothing more thanexcusses, but I know that my reasons are my own and personalobligations.

All I can add is, ridewhen you can, then ride some more

chappy

Quick Reply: What is considered a lot of riding?