General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 AM
13A77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider lessons learned

So I have finished with the Safety course, and am now out on the road. I have been riding now for just about a month and have put on just over 650 miles. Here are some of the things I have learned in the short time on the Glide.

1. Pay attention to the safety course lessons (especially "The Swerve")
2. Relax the death grip
3. First time seeing a deer step onto the road will pucker your a$$ right up.
4 Trust that your bike will hold the turn. (It will).
5. At intersections, watch the front wheels of the cagers, not their eyes. If wheels are rolling he going.
6. Relax the death grip.
7. 65 mph is a GOOOOD beginner speed.
8. If you take the liner out of your coat, make sure you bring it with you because you will need it.
9. first time you get out for a long ride, dont forget to bring money for gas.
10. Nothing in the world beats sitting at a light and seeing a cager wish he was riding too.

Feel free to add your own observations. I can't wait to find more, except for the deer thing.

Batt

Old 07-06-2007, 04:03 AM
IFRider
Novice
Default RE: New rider lessons learned

I'm new here, but I've been riding for about 27 years. Here are a few things I've learned:

1. I still getbutterflies in my stomachwhen I know I'm going to ride.
2. Assume that you are completely invisible. Nobody can see you and evenwhile looking right at youpeople willturn in front of you, change lanes into you, cut you off, etc.
3. Riding with others is more fun.
4. If you can't go for a ride, commute!
5. Wear earplugs.
6. Learn to do your own maintenance - it's not a car and needs more attention.
7. 100 mph on a bike is like 100 ft on a dive - unsafe and nothing much to see anyway.
8. As you gain experience you'll develop intuition. Trust your intution - too fast? over your head? is that cager paying attention?should you check that noise?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:18 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget you brought your wife to the bar with you then leave without her, they get reallllly pissed off.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:24 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always do a head check when changing lanes or merging in traffic.
When slowing down, always check your rearview mirrors to make sure someone isn't about to run you smooth over.
If you are only using your engine to slow the bike, you should still tap the brakes so those behind you know you are slowing down.
When backing the bike into a space, always put it inneutral.
Always park the bike with the rear of the bike heading downhill.
Learn to take off on an incline by resting the bike on your left leg, right foot on the rear brake pedal, right hand totally on the throttle. Slowly let release the clutch, roll the throttle and release the foot brake.

And finally, never put a Harley sticker on a minivan.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NEVER hit the front brake when the wheels are turned at a slow speed.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Midwest Muscle
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I never experienced the 'death grip' ... Well, I did ride to church with my grandmother once when I was younger, and I learned why they call those handles above the doors "Jesus handles". When I ride, I just assume EVERY car on the ride left home that morning to run into me. That will make you ride pretty defensively, and still no need for the death grip.

Mike

Old 07-06-2007, 10:29 AM
officespacedout!
Banned

I took the MSF class last year and you nailed it! Always remember those lessons because they come in handy.
What I have learned in the last 5 years of riding is;

Practice your U-turns and don’t get cocky!
Always expect some cager to do something stupid at any time! Like when you’re in the middle of a U-turn and a cage turning left crossing you’re U-line and accelerating by you in the left lane as you straighten up!
My absolute favorite (it’s a California thing) splitting the lane to the front of the line at a light and some jacka$$ cage always wants to race me or gun it the millisecond the light turns green!
Last but not least no matter how fast or powerful your bike is, there is always someone else with more power and less to lose than you so keep it real and let that guy kill himself with out taken you with him![/ul]
Ride safe~

Old 07-06-2007, 10:33 AM
apilcher
Cruiser

Good stuff guys, thanks

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep learning! After 30 years, I still learn about riding. When you stop learning, you will go down.

Always take the outside line through a blind curve - better sight line and you lean your head into the center of the lane instead of out into oncoming traffic or out over the shoulder.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
chambeaux1
Tourer

Been riding all my life and I don't know what they teach in the classes so if this was covered I apologize.
One of the things that used to bother me was waiting in lines at stop signs. The line moves incredibly slow but if you stop and put your foot down you just need to move again in a second and then stop again and so on. The key to this situation (in my opinion) is to focus two cars up. Don't ignore the one directly ahead you, be aware of it but don't pace yourself to his speed. Pace yourself to the car ahead of him. Doesn't sound like much but it makes a world of difference. I wish someone had clued me into this. I do it all the time and it allows be to keep the bike moving with stop and starting. The car in front of you is reacting to the car ahead of it so by watching that car you know what the car ahead of you will do before he does it. Trust me. Try it.

Quick Reply: New rider lessons learned