General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is drive belt on left side?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007 | 12:11 AM
gconklin
Road Master
Default RE: Why is drive belt on left side?

pulley on the right side? what moron thought up that idea?

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:07 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Y'all seem to be sadly deficient in the HD lore category!

Look at the 45" flattie series (WL). Separate tranny, sprocket on right side, and (gasp!) a kicker, too! What'll they think of next?

First bikes had the leather belt drive on the left side. For whatever reason, that carried over into the design when they added those new-fangled transmissions.

And every time I changed my sprockets on my Shovel (once a year), I wished they'd done it differently!

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:19 AM
Uncle Scrooge
|
Road Warrior

So far I haven't heard a goodmechanical reason for why the belt is on the left. The Sportyhas it on the right. The 45" WLhad it on the right. It would save belt replacement effort (and money, if you hire it done)to have it on the right. If some Moco engineer is monitoring this board, I wish they would speak up.

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:25 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member

So they can make it a PITA to work on it and screw you over for parts and service. Its designed for keeping the company in bussiness. While were trying to figure that out lets soulve world hunger and find a way to make beer 1 cent a gallon and our bikes can run on pizz. Now that would be an design worth paying for. Come to think about why do they put it on the left????

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:46 AM
cadman311
Club Member

Just put your kick stand on the right and you will be ok

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:19 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cadman311

Just put your kick stand on the right and you will be ok
I'm confused.....

Isn't the belt drive and kick stand suppose to be on the right side?

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:25 AM
ChopperHammer666
Road Captain

Baker 300 wide tire kit for softails comes with a right side drive transmission.

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:36 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Guys, he asked a technical question and if you review the replies, you have all come up a tad short on giving a technical answer. What's with you people? Did you just wake up one morning, put your dress on, grab your purses, and go to the Harley Dealership with your checkbook? I'm am appalled at the responses this thread has generated, ESPECIALLY coming from a Harley website........pitiful. Most probably have no idea on the degree the cylinders present themselves, therefore, even a Victory or Honda would suffice. Single pin crank, double pin, hair pin, Ink pen....whaaa? Sheesh, you guys have really changed the way I view this beloved place with the information spewed forth in this one simple thread.

The question was, and I quote the author, "Why is the drive belt on the left side?" The answer is not difficult to dicipher, nor interpret as there are no hidden clues, secret codes, nor legendary folklore to pursue. The answer quite simply is this...awwwww SHAT!! my pen ran out of ink!!!!![:@]

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:46 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

ORIGINAL: ChopperHammer666

Baker 300 wide tire kit for softails comes with a right side drive transmission.
Harely put it on the left side to satisfy your desire to modify the bike and buy aftermarket parts like the Baker kit mentioned earlier. Plus everyone else was doing it. Once it was on the left it was too expensive and no technical reason to move it to the right. Harley doesn't care if you have to get into the primary. They would view that as a parts selling opportunity.

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/baker300/index.htm

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:46 AM
GGC
Road Warrior

deleted

Quick Reply: Why is drive belt on left side?