General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on HD stage kits and cams

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Fenrirsmayhem
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on HD stage kits and cams

Alright so I'm decently new to motorcycles and I want to make some changes to my engine. I have a 13 street bob running a 103. I thought about going all the way to stage 4 but I'm torn I have heard people that know alot more then me say go with a woods 222 or ss 551 cam and I'm not sure which way to jump. I really dont know much about all of this and some guidance would be greatly appreciated. Will ss 551 cams work if I decide to go to a stage 4? What would work best?

Last edited by Fenrirsmayhem; 01-26-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

I have a dealer installed Stage 4 ( previous owner did it) , not a bad kit, bike is fast , it also has a SE Tuner, and V&H pipe.

Did it really need the high compression pistons and CNC'd heads? Probably not.... a good set of cams, a decent pipe, and dyno tune with a tuner ( I am a Thundermax user on my 03) would have made the bike quick enough without the previous owner going 4K into a 26K brand new bike.

Find a good cam and tuner/pipe combination that will work with your existing compression and heads. If you want to spend $, pick a good cam and have your heads reworked to match their characteristics. HD engines are funny when it comes to getting the heads and cams to play nice.

You could probably save yourself a ton of cash doing it that way, and if you stay out of the top end, you can make the job easier with S&S pushrods that don't require taking the top end off to replace the cams.

Upgrade the cam bearings and oil pump with the money you save

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 01-26-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 PM
Fenrirsmayhem
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
I have a dealer installed Stage 4 ( previous owner did it) , not a bad kit, bike is fast , it also has a SE Tuner, and V&H pipe.

Did it really need the high compression pistons and CNC'd heads? Probably not.... a good set of cams, a decent pipe, and dyno tune with a tuner ( I am a Thundermax user on my 03) would have made the bike quick enough without the previous owner going 4K into a 26K brand new bike.

Find a good cam and tuner/pipe combination that will work with your existing compression and heads. If you want to spend $, pick a good cam and have your heads reworked to match their characteristics. HD engines are funny when it comes to getting the heads and cams to play nice.

You could probably save yourself a ton of cash doing it that way, and if you stay out of the top end, you can make the job easier with S&S pushrods that don't require taking the top end off to replace the cams.

Upgrade the cam bearings and oil pump with the money you save
I already have a screaming eagle air cleaner, thunder header pipes and a master tuner 2 on the bike. I tend to ride in the low to mid rpm range so I'm wondering if I should just stop at the stage 3 kit. And i dont know if i should try to find different cams to put in with the kit or just stick with the cams that come in the kit.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Cubic inches are never wasted on low to mid RPM power. The cam affects RPM range that the power is applied. I've said it before, no one ever wished they had a smaller motor.

Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

skip the kit, slap some cams in it,send it to the dyno, save a ton of cash if you are already that far into it

Old 01-26-2019, 08:12 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

If you’re new to bikes, enjoy it as is for a while as is. Sounds like someone is putting a bug in your ear.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:34 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Like said Are you running out of pwer?
Already?
If not save your money!
Or do you wish for bragging rites ?
If you wish for the "RITES" send your self over to NYS and see Scot and forget the HD BS .

Their crap will not EVER get passed a real engine guy, as HD junk it is just cookie cutter for the masses.
You will be very pissed the day you figured out you spent all that cash and got almost nothing as you can't get past a marginally built engine
with added cubes alone.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:49 PM
Fenrirsmayhem
Stage IV

Originally Posted by kngpn
If you’re new to bikes, enjoy it as is for a while as is. Sounds like someone is putting a bug in your ear.
when I say I'm new to motorcycles I mean I haven't gotten into doing my own engine work.... yet. I have modified everything else on my bike myself from the front to the back of the bike including some wiring. I'm just not super familiar with engines. The reason I want more power is because I like more power. If I had the means to drop a hemi into my bike frame I would in a heart beat....

Old 01-26-2019, 08:53 PM
Fenrirsmayhem
Stage IV

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Like said Are you running out of pwer?
Already?
If not save your money!
Or do you wish for bragging rites ?
If you wish for the "RITES" send your self over to NYS and see Scot and forget the HD BS .

Their crap will not EVER get passed a real engine guy, as HD junk it is just cookie cutter for the masses.
You will be very pissed the day you figured out you spent all that cash and got almost nothing as you can't get past a marginally built engine
with added cubes alone.
say what you like about HD I enjoy the brand and the feel of the bikes. Yes i understand that more powerful bikes exist and I ride them when I have the opportunity. However I love my bike and km not gonna switch out to a different kind. As far as the power thing goes, yes I'm always running out of power if you strap a jet engine to the back of my bike I'm gonna ask if you got one with some more power

Old 01-26-2019, 08:57 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenrirsmayhem
say what you like about HD I enjoy the brand and the feel of the bikes. Yes i understand that more powerful bikes exist and I ride them when I have the opportunity. However I love my bike and km not gonna switch out to a different kind. As far as the power thing goes, yes I'm always running out of power if you strap a jet engine to the back of my bike I'm gonna ask if you got one with some more power
Go see or at least talk to Scott @ Hillside, you will get more for the money.

Quick Reply: Need help on HD stage kits and cams