General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen Fingers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 06:28 PM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frozen Fingers...

OK, spent 100 miles of my Sunday riding in a 40 degree steady rain. I was relatively warm, EXCEPT my fingers were all but frozen.

I purchased a pair of Harley/Gore-tex gauntlet gloves this summer and was looking forward to warm hands. Though they kept my hands dry, it was not much better than leather for warmth.

What do you do to keep your hands warm? Do I have to have heated gloves or heat packs? Heated Grips? All of the above? Move to a warmer climate?

Old 10-24-2005, 07:17 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Frozen Fingers...

Moving to a warmer climate has crossed my mind. I think heated grips work. If you're like me you don't want big bulky gloves because they are just not very practical on the bike. The only problem I found with heated grips is that while your palms stay pretty comfortable your knuckles may cause you some discomfort during a longer ride. Never used heated gloves but I'm guessing they would do the trick. That's just my humble opinion.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:27 PM
gunz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to Wal mart awhile back before a cold weather hunting trip and bought a couple chemical hand warmers. Before My last long ride I threw a few in my bag and when it got cold i dropped one in each glove and it made a world of difference. Works great here as i dont experience cold weather often enough to warrant heated gloves, but I keep a few of these in my pack and the seem to do the trick.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Fatboy2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to derail the thread but I would be interested to hear more about the heated gloves.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the less expensive tricks is to get some disposable plastic gloves, the kind that come like 20 or so to a box and wear them under your regular gloves. They break the wind and your hands will stay amazingly warm.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Anniesage
Road Master

Rode last winter in the cold and rain (anything above 35 degrees is riding weather for me) and as long as it isn't snowing. Rains alot and don't mind riding in the rain, but last year learned that warm waterproof gloves are too bulky for me. Can't feel the controls. And when you do ride 100 or 200 miles in 35 degree/rainy weather, all sorts of thoughts cross one's mind. But getting heated gloves this year for sure. I don't mind looking like Nanook from the north bunded up like a kid going outside to play inthe snow as long as I am warm and can move!

Old 10-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

oldgeezer Date 10/24/2005 5:31:26 PM
One of the less expensive tricks is to get some disposable plastic gloves, the kind that come like 20 or so to a box and wear them under your regular gloves. They break the wind and your hands will stay amazingly warm.
Interesting...I'll have to try that myself!

Old 10-24-2005, 07:45 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I buy them by the box of 100 since I build furniture and use them when I am putting on finish. It's sorta odd but it works. Only problem I've had is my hands being a little sweaty when I take the disposable gloves off, but my hands do stay warm.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Only problem I've had is my hands being a little sweaty when I take the disposable gloves off
I kind of figured that might be a problem but hey if it keeps me riding longer and more comfortable what's a little sweat anyway?

Old 10-24-2005, 09:44 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Pat you are a genius! I have 400 pairs of those gloves given to me by the guy next store - Didn't wanna ask where he got them or why he wanted then - I use them for finishing work also but was going to ask if anyone else tried them for cold weather riding and now I got permission!

Quick Reply: Frozen Fingers...