General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frozen Fingers...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:59 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Frozen Fingers...

try gloves made for snow skiers or snowmobilers

Old 10-24-2005, 10:49 PM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never thought of using these before either, but now that I think about it, when I wear these working on the cars, my hands sweat like crazy - I'm going to try these tomorrow - thks!!

Jim

Old 10-24-2005, 11:10 PM
lschultz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: oldgeezer

One of the less expensive tricks is to get some disposable plastic gloves, the kind that come like 20 or so to a box and wear them under your regular gloves. They break the wind and your hands will stay amazingly warm.
I read about this in some mag several years ago and would always forget to get me some and try it but I am going to stop on my way home tommorrow and get me some and try it. I was telling my son about it a while back too.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
cmorris48
Road Captain

Have used the disposable gloves as inner liners in cold weather while working outside. Had the same problems with "wet" hands. Try a little Men's Talc. I use Clubmans, just rub it on your hands before putting on the plastic. Helps keep you drier and it don't smell bad

Old 10-24-2005, 11:17 PM
03fxst
Stage IV

Back when I first started riding street bikes, I bought a pair of leather gauntlet gloves. They are called "Hot Hands". They have a Thinsulate lining (when Thinsulate first came out around 1988). They are the best gloves I have ever owned. I still have and use them. I believe i paid about $90.00 for them (back in '88).

Don

Old 10-24-2005, 11:44 PM
SoftailMatt05
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I didn't think this would lead to a discussion on the merits of latex....

It is sure worth a try, gonna try this ASAP! I think Walgreen's carries the gloves with powder in them.

I sure hope my wife believes me when I tell her I need latex to ride?!?!

Old 10-25-2005, 01:01 AM
JW
Road Captain

one of the admin guys Skip mentioned on another post about these things I used on a bike I had a long time ago. huge paddle shaped thingies that slip over the ends on the bars. I think they are for snowmobiles, They look goofy as all getout. But they freaking work. Using these things and your regular riding gloves. your hands will not get cold.

Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 AM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear the auto heated grips work great

Old 10-25-2005, 02:48 AM
nmfxstc
Road Master

Well...being an Irishman (we tend to drink a lot and smoke pipes), I was pondering the cold hands issue when it came to me (between sips of Jameson's, of course)...dishwashers in the old days used to weat thick but pliable rubber gloves to insulate them from 160 degree rinse water...now (says me), if they insulate against 160 degrees...wouldn' they do the same the other way (colder??).

YUP!!!!! Got me an XXL pair, put on regular unlined HD street gloves and the butyl rubber (like a chem suit set of gloves, GIs...*hint-hint*) and sure 'nuff....warm as toast!

Old 10-25-2005, 09:37 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't tried the rubber glove trick yet, I have an insulated pair of gauntlets that have the zippered pouch with the rain covers that pull out of them, I pull them out and just that little extra cover, usually does the trick for me when it's really cold. I think heated grips and wind break grip covers would be the best.

Quick Reply: Frozen Fingers...