General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tool kit list of items

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020 | 06:01 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member

I keep a few things in the bags at all times

The following users liked this post:
guido4198 (05-21-2020)
Old 09-29-2022 | 06:20 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
i carry the innovative storage solutions bags that fit in the bottom of the saddlebags. o

I just got a set of these. Feel little guilty spending so much money. But I carry lots of junk and I am trying to organize and take up less room. $70 is a valid price. I may use one on one bike, and one on another. The other bike has the leather tool bag from the 90s. Its bulky, but I can't part with it.

I got nervous with these guys. Over a week, they hadn't shipped. Nothing on their facebook account for over a year. Email address bounced back. So I filed claim with paypal, and posted on their fb page. Guy responded right away.

I went invertoried 2 bikes, writing down what was there. Good to do, as check to see if anything missing.

Noticed no 5/8 socket. If you ever need to change oil on the road, or a plug came loose would need it. Not going to get a wrench on tranny plug on new touring frame.

Also need to decide what I won't need. Hydraullic clutch, won't ne adjusting.

Used as an excuse to get some flex head ratchering wrenches, so I could put my old ones on bike. Ordered a new breaker bar. will need 36mm wrench.

I scoffed at the multi tool that came mounted in the tourpak. But actiually that may come in handy, in that spot.

I ordered a huge fuse kit off amazon. Who knows who good they are. But putting a bunch in various rides. Lots of tywraps. I carry lots of tools, nuts, bolts,, lots of stuff I never used. I think about getting rid of, but thats bad voodoo. 30 years ago had to nut and bolt exhaust together.

Old 09-29-2022 | 09:10 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd like to figure out what is year specific so I don't carry it. And what common sizes, you really not use. Trying to rember why I have 9/16 wrench and socket.

Why do I have 1/4 deep well?

10mm 12 points for brakes. But don't need 1/4 12 pnt for newer brakes. 7/8 for o2 sensors when they went closed loop in 2007. 3/4 12 pnt for head bolts. But do I need the 1/2 wrench? 1/4 drive 1/2 for exhuast nuts Lazy and bulky but for the moment on Pu new bike I got folding set of hex and torx..

6.5 inch channel lock is on many of my vehicles. Also picked up vice grip needle nose. Plus a pocket screw driver.

Funny they don't give you a 3/8 so you can check transmission level. Not sure if I need ball 3/8 with new frame though. Looks like floor boards come off frome outside of frame. But have not done it. If they do, that will be a great improvement.One of worse parts of tearing down a bike, is just pulling floorboards off. Rest of it is not bad.
Can't have to many flashlights, and a back up for your back up.

I enjoy outfitting shops, rides, hunting rigs, maybe more than the act. I like building work benches, more than wood working.

May sprulrge on some tool or organizer.

Old 09-29-2022 | 09:37 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Payson
Don't forget a black card for when the hand tools don't quite fill the bill. Or, just ditch the other stuff and call it good?

Originally Posted by RadoR6
Damn it.....should I be worried if it was a right decision to bring home a Harley ? One day I've read the thread about how many thousand trouble free miles some people done with just a regular maintenance and now you discussing here all those "Must have" tools. I've had 14 years Yamaha R6, 2 1/2 years BMW GS800, 8 years and still counting KTM 990 Adventure, never needed to carry anything extra than the toolbox supplied with the bike (except the BMW-that bike was a cheaply made bitch, never left me stranded but it was the only bike with issues, the toolbox was a complete crap, somebody in the factory got a brilliant idea to stuff it with an allen keys and the bolts on the bike were mainly torx's. The tools in other two bikes I never used for anything else than replacing burned bulb, wheel removal when I got a puncture or a chain adjustment..
I carry tools on jap bikes too.
Originally Posted by mcgee10
A better question might be what have you ever been able to fix roadside with the tools you carry. For me 45 years of riding my answer isI changed a fouled plug once. There is very little you'll be able to fix roadside and on the newer bikes newer than 2000 almost nothing that can happen will you be able to fix roadside. I carry those same tools I just don't know why I do.
Anything that touches my bike goes in saddle bags. Anything I touch could come loose. The question is, how much would you do on the side of the road. I can tighten a comp nut. Engine work maybe would trailer. But I know guys who have done gaskets on big trips. You are away from home, waht are your options? I figure worse case tow to a uhaul dealer.

I've had stuff come loose. Had bolts fall out on hondas too, that were never touched after the factory.

I've waited hours for a tow too.

Old 09-29-2022 | 09:48 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Other part of this debate, is what can you get away with having. I carry 3/16 hex socket. I could get away with hex keys. Some stuff I figure if I ever have to do it in crappy situation, I'd rather it not be even more crappy.

I could pull a primary off with a short allen key. I debate, maybe I should stream line. But I circle back, I got room, and I don't want to be even more miserable doing it , at what will be a bad time already.

either way, I am having fun outfitting bike. I went with, I'll build a kit. For 30 seconds I thought maybe buy a kit. but even gf said not too.

Old 09-29-2022 | 10:10 PM
johndoe297
Road Master

I only skimmed through all of that so you might have said this. I know you said you have a folding torx set, but make sure it has a T27. Most I have seen don't include it. T27, T25, T45 for sure.

Old 09-30-2022 | 03:10 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

This is for new bike. Other two bikes have torx sockets and Allen sockets and keys.

But like to talk about something besides t27. If there is a Harley rider out there that doesn't know you need a t27, he should just let it get stolen for insurance money.

3/4 for shock mounts is another.

Even though you don't need 1/4 12 on front brakes post 07, probably still need for back? Plus 10 12pnt.

Need to check the Allen for mount newer brakes, see if metric.

36mm for newer style axle. They don't even give you a chance one now so wrench and socket

7/8 for 02 sensor, not sure if years vary.

Old 09-30-2022 | 04:20 PM
johndoe297
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rounders
This is for new bike. Other two bikes have torx sockets and Allen sockets and keys.

But like to talk about something besides t27. If there is a Harley rider out there that doesn't know you need a t27, he should just let it get stolen for insurance money.
Welp...I tried. Just putting that out there for those that aren't an all-knowing individual such as yourself. Jeez dude!

This is why people just ignore you and anything you post. I tried to step out and add something to the convo you were having with yourself since no one else was and you make another one of your asinine remarks.

Guess I'll just get back in line with the rest of the group and continue to ignore you. SMDH. I true feel sad for you. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 09-30-2022 | 05:16 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I am ok
like to go over more than the typical make sure you have t27.

And what sizes are not needed.

Old 09-30-2022 | 10:23 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
Trying to rember why I have 9/16 wrench and socket.
Clutch cable adjustment
Belt adjustment

Quick Reply: Harley tool kit list of items