General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley tool kit list of items

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019 | 07:39 AM
mcgee10
Tourer

A better question might be what have you ever been able to fix roadside with the tools you carry. For me 45 years of riding my answer isI changed a fouled plug once. There is very little you'll be able to fix roadside and on the newer bikes newer than 2000 almost nothing that can happen will you be able to fix roadside. I carry those same tools I just don't know why I do.

Old 01-18-2019 | 09:41 AM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I spent a couple afternoons tinkering or dinking around the bike and drinking beer. Made a list of what tools fit what. Plus I had a list from a Sportster forum years ago showing what size wrench/socket fit what. So I just wandered around the bike looking at different things, what I may need to fix/adjust/repair and checked sizes. Then I went through my tool box looking for duplicate tools and extras. I bought the tool bags Skratch shows in his post and loaded them up. Also a little wire, tie wraps, tape, fuses and that should cover. I have had to do some minor repairs and adjustments on the road, and it sure is nice to have a proper tool to do that.
Understand (or not!) I was a certified auto mechanic back in the 70's and used to race bikes. So I have plenty of tools to make up a second set. Plus I have this nasty bad fetish for tools!! So I tend to get good tools for whatever I need. I don't believe you need much. just some basics, enough for the simple systems. The worst breakdown was losing the front wheel bearing on the highway. I had an app on my phone to locate Harley dealers and (thank God, you could not plan this any better) there was one couple miles from us. Then a Virginia State Trooper came along, was a rider, knew the shop, and led us there. No way I could have done that on the road! But it's nice knowing you can cover the simple things.

Old 01-18-2019 | 11:13 AM
tommyglide
Tourer

To be completely without tools is a mistake when a simple side of the road fix might be all thats needed to get you going.
Another good tool is an inexpensive volt ohm meter to check battery and charging system health on occasion.

The following users liked this post:
fxdup (05-19-2020)
Old 01-18-2019 | 09:41 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Spartanden
I spent a couple afternoons tinkering or dinking around the bike and drinking beer. Made a list of what tools fit what. Plus I had a list from a Sportster forum years ago showing what size wrench/socket fit what. So I just wandered around the bike looking at different things, what I may need to fix/adjust/repair and checked sizes. Then I went through my tool box looking for duplicate tools and extras. I bought the tool bags Skratch shows in his post and loaded them up. Also a little wire, tie wraps, tape, fuses and that should cover. I have had to do some minor repairs and adjustments on the road, and it sure is nice to have a proper tool to do that.
Understand (or not!) I was a certified auto mechanic back in the 70's and used to race bikes. So I have plenty of tools to make up a second set. Plus I have this nasty bad fetish for tools!! So I tend to get good tools for whatever I need. I don't believe you need much. just some basics, enough for the simple systems. The worst breakdown was losing the front wheel bearing on the highway. I had an app on my phone to locate Harley dealers and (thank God, you could not plan this any better) there was one couple miles from us. Then a Virginia State Trooper came along, was a rider, knew the shop, and led us there. No way I could have done that on the road! But it's nice knowing you can cover the simple things.
Originally Posted by tommyglide
To be completely without tools is a mistake when a simple side of the road fix might be all thats needed to get you going.
Another good tool is an inexpensive volt ohm meter to check battery and charging system health on occasion.
Agree with both quotes. As far as the volt ohm amp meter I had one in the saddlebag and it came back when the bike did, along with all the other things that weren't in the so called official Harley tool kit. It did not however say HD on it. I supposed if it had been an HD voltmeter it probably would've grown legs too.

I didn't have the saddlebags locked at the time, but if I had would it have required my key or just a blank like the gas cap cover?

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 01-18-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2020 | 10:00 PM
stjoesportster
Stage III

Originally Posted by adm
I've looked at the Cruz ands other "emergency" kits and concluded it's better to build your own. With really good quality tools. Cheap ones are going to round bolts off just when you really need them not to.

Also - you seem to pay too much good money for cheap things like wire, loctite and cable ties.

Here's where I am right now. None of this stuff is cheap, but it is all the best possible quality, compact and extremely versatile. The two items below will get you 90% of the way there. You need to add a 10mm 12pt socket, and the above mentioned wire, cable ties, tape and Loctite.

Add a good (small) air pressure gauge, a tyre plug kit and a Motopressor micro compressor and you are at 95%!

Facom 12pt micro ratchet kit with 12pt sockets, screwdriver, tore etc...

Pretty much all the 12pt sockets you will need, plus the main Torx (including T27), Philips and Flathead screwdrivers. "Set includes: Sockets 7/32, 1/4, 9/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 13/32, 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16; Phillips drivers 1, 2 and 3; hex 1/4, 1/8, 3/16, 5/32 and 7/32; Pozidriv 1, 2 and 3; slotted 4.5mm and 6.5mm; Torx® 10, 15, 20, 25, 27, 30 and 40." Maybe add a T45 bit as well.

Wera Joker wrenches - general info

These are just the best wrenches. Ratcheting, super high quality and a really useful ability to hold nuts in place in tight spaces. (SnapOn probably has something similar)

I like this set the best for emergency toolkits, but you can get other sizes as well

Wera Joker 4 piece imperial set

If you can't fix something with this toolkit, it probably does need to go to the shop to get fixed.
Did you end up building a high-end version of the Windzone Tool Kit EK-1HD? If so what did you get or what would you get precisely if you were going to make a very nice version of the Windzone ek1hd toolkit? The Wera Joker 4 piece Imperial Set looks really nice as does the Facom 12 pt ratchet kit

Old 05-19-2020 | 05:49 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

I would add to all of the kits a flashlight - or better yet, a headlamp. The challenging part is remembering to change the batteries in it so that when you need it ... it works.

Bluehighways (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020 | 12:27 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Here's the set I bring when going on multi-day trips out of town.

Note: You don't need to invest a small fortune in these tools. Most can be sourced from Harbor Freight or similar, for free or with one of their 20% off coupons.

Old 05-20-2020 | 02:26 AM
Bama Lee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RoadKing 2014
Tire repair kit/ plugs/bottled air
mini jump start
my '06 UC has the factory kit + a .30 cal plastic ammo box packed w/tools......but the bottled air & mini jump i'd not thought of........thanks !!

Edit: also an Army covered canteen of water, fresh roll of TP, and a GOOD First Aid kit.........yes, i'm an old Boy Scout......"Be Prepared"

Last edited by Bama Lee; 05-20-2020 at 02:39 AM.
guido4198 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020 | 02:32 AM
RadoR6
Advanced

Damn it.....should I be worried if it was a right decision to bring home a Harley ? One day I've read the thread about how many thousand trouble free miles some people done with just a regular maintenance and now you discussing here all those "Must have" tools. I've had 14 years Yamaha R6, 2 1/2 years BMW GS800, 8 years and still counting KTM 990 Adventure, never needed to carry anything extra than the toolbox supplied with the bike (except the BMW-that bike was a cheaply made bitch, never left me stranded but it was the only bike with issues, the toolbox was a complete crap, somebody in the factory got a brilliant idea to stuff it with an allen keys and the bolts on the bike were mainly torx's. The tools in other two bikes I never used for anything else than replacing burned bulb, wheel removal when I got a puncture or a chain adjustment..

Last edited by RadoR6; 05-20-2020 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2020 | 03:48 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member

This is the contents of the tool bag on my front forks. In the saddlebag I'm carrying a tire kit w/ air pump, flashlight, Micro-jump starter, a few spare parts, (coil, solenoid, Everything that makes up the "throwout bearing area" including the infamous "clutch shift finger" part that lives under the right side Transmission cover, voltmeter, field expedient clutch cable, Piece of clear Tygon tubing for transffering gas, Coupla shop rags. I've ridden this bike (1985 FXRS) 300,000 documented miles. The stuff I'm carrying has been useful for myself, or someone I was riding with, or stopped to help on the side of the road.

Quick Reply: Harley tool kit list of items