General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 04:51 PM
dynaglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?

Does anybody have first person medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance? Also if you have it, what did it cost you? My agent said $1000 was tops I could get to cover my own medical injuries in the event of an accident and that the premium was very high. He said because of this,no one takes the medical coverage. He said to rely on health insurance at work. Which is what I did.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:07 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?

I got my insurance this year through Foremost, the cost for a $5,000.00 Med Pay coverage was a whole $34.00. No-fault coverage is not available on motorcycle riders here in NY. I don't know exactly where you live, but I would guess that your agent is giving you a complete line of BS since there is no premium dollars in it for him. Call your insurance carrier direct and see what it wouild cost. $34.00 for $5, worth of coverage is pretty cheap in my book.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
warthawg
Tourer

I think this is one of those dirtylittle secrets in the insurance trade. A couple of years ago we moved from NH to FL. When I got car insurance I was quoted for medical payments. Paying for health insurance and car insurance to do the same thing didn't seem right to me so I called the heath insurance directly and they reluctantly told me that I didn't need to have this coverage on my car insurance. Could be different for other heathinsurance carriers or HMO's so best to check with them first.

When you live in FL the last thing you want to do is pay for insurance you don't need[:@]

Old 07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most medical insurance will cover motorcycle related accidents, however, Med Pay coverage carries no co-payments, no referrals, etc. like a lot of health insurance comapnies and HMO's in particular use. If the bill comes in, it gets paid, period. Just saying that for what you get for the money, it is a good idea, at least here in NY.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I cancelledthe medical coverage on my bike policy just last month. Seemed kinda silly to be paying for it.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:39 PM
JohnC88
Tourer

I dropped medical coverage too for the same reason. It wasn't cheap and I already have medical insurance that will cover me.

DGlide04, just because your cost was low doesn't mean everybody's is. Depending upon many factors, all coverage can vary greatly in cost. And it's still true that if you have good health insurance already, it is for many, a waste of money to add it to your car or bike policy.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:54 AM
dynaglider
Tourer

Well, I'm going to find out. I hit a deer two weeks ago and the bills for ambulance ($1400) emergency room ($2700) etc have begun to come in. I stayed one night in the hospital and they got my health insurance info, but the rest are billing my auto insurance which, of course, says it won't pay medical.I've sent letters asking folksto bill my health insurance. So I'll see how it goes. I get the feeling this episode is going to be way more "educational" than I'd like it to be.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

You really should check with another company/agent. I can't comment on the insurance regulations in another state, but in Michigan motorcycles are treated differently than automobiles are as far as the 'No Fault' insurance laws.

For example in Michigan:
On an automobile, you must carry some form of medical insurance. If you have a medical insurance policy either from work or self paid, you can select on your auto policy: 'Coordination of Medical Benefits'. Which means that your personal medical insurance pays first (within it's limits), then any remainder is paid by your auto insurance carrier (within it's limits).This saves you some$$$ on the premium. Also, check the 'fine print' inyour medical policy. If you are injured in an accident and your personal medical insurance pays the claim, they can (and will) put a lein on any settlements you might make with the 'person at fault'. In otherwords: They're gonna get their money back if you sue. Ask me how I know this.....

On a motorcycle, you have the option of adding medical insurance to your policy, but it is not mandated by state law. I know, sounds weird, but for some reason (I don't recall way back when the no fault law took effect), the state considered motorcycles different than automobiles.

I've often wondered if a passenger is covered if they have no form of medical insurance, and you've elected not to carry medical insurance on the cycle policy.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:32 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a $5,000 medical payment limit on my coverage. This covers me and my passenger in the event of an accident. Your health insurance is not going to cover your passenger. It also covers funeral expenses in the event of my death. Also as it was stated before there is no copay where my health insurance I am responsible for 20% of hospital bills. For $40 a year I would recommend carrying med pay at the highest limit available.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 AM
666Glide
Cruiser

[blockquote]
Just happened to have renewed my policy with Markel American Insurance Co. and it was on my desk so I looked up the Medical liability coverage and for a $67 premium I am covered up to $50K per person, $100K per accident. Pretty good bargain in Tx.[/blockquote]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16754/961168D411AE429DB3D4D250971AED2F.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?