General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Personal medical coverage with your motorcycle insurance?

ORIGINAL: 666Glide

[blockquote]
Just happened to have renewed my policy with Markel American Insurance Co. and it was on my desk so I looked up the Medical liability coverage and for a $67 premium I am covered up to $50K per person, $100K per accident. Pretty good bargain in Tx.[/blockquote]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16754/961168D411AE429DB3D4D250971AED2F.jpg[/IMG]
Are you sure that is YOUR medical limit. That sounds like the bodily injury limit which would cover the other vehicle if it is your fault....not your medical payment. Med Pay is a seperate limit and I've never seen it any higher than $10,000 on any policy for auto or motocycle.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:57 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like somebody is BS'in ya

I am not sure what you mean by medical coverage but in Texas to not wear a helmet you must take the rider training course or carry at least $10,000 personal injury for yourself. I carry $15,000 on my motorcycle policy and it only cost me around $800 per year total.

As a matter of fact I just got stopped in west Texas headin up to Santa Fe, NM for not wearin a helmet, I told the trooper that I had the paper work for the sticker and the insurance coverage I needed to not wear a helmet and he let me slide. I am getting the sticker as soon as I get back to Austin, I don't like giving any probable cause to pull me over.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 AM
666Glide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HeatherC

[blockquote]
Just happened to have renewed my policy with Markel American Insurance Co. and it was on my desk so I looked up the Medical liability coverage and for a $67 premium I am covered up to $50K per person, $100K per accident. Pretty good bargain in Tx.[/blockquote]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16754/961168D411AE429DB3D4D250971AED2F.jpg[/IMG]
Are you sure that is YOUR medical limit. That sounds like the bodily injury limit which would cover the other vehicle if it is your fault....not your medical payment. Med Pay is a seperate limit and I've never seen it any higher than $10,000 on any policy for auto or motocycle.
Yes, the coverage reads Personal Injury (and in the handbook it states injury to me as single coverage of $50K, 2 persons $100K per accident). I know you're in insurance so even though I read it once this morning your question caused me to reverify. As I'm self employed and running without health insurance $67/yr. seems pretty cheap piece of mind for me.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:24 AM
666Glide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

I am not sure what you mean by medical coverage but in Texas to not wear a helmet you must take the rider training course or carry at least $10,000 personal injury for yourself. I carry $15,000 on my motorcycle policy and it only cost me around $800 per year total.

As a matter of fact I just got stopped in west Texas headin up to Santa Fe, NM for not wearin a helmet, I told the trooper that I had the paper work for the sticker and the insurance coverage I needed to not wear a helmet and he let me slide. I am getting the sticker as soon as I get back to Austin, I don't like giving any probable cause to pull me over.
RB and HC here's how it reads:
Medical Expense Coverage:
We agree to pay medical expenses for Your bodily injury, sickness, desease or death suffered in a Motorcycle Accident while operating the Insure Motorcycle.......We'll pay the medical expenses incurred within one year from the date of the Motorcycle Accident.......
Doesn't sound like there's any ambiguity to me, but let me know how you read this.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:29 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We agree to pay medical expenses for Your bodily injury, sickness, desease or death suffered in a Motorcycle Accident while operating the Insure Motorcycle.......We'll pay the medical expenses incurred within one year from the date of the Motorcycle Accident.......
Doesn't sound like there's any ambiguity to me, but let me know how you read this.
That sounds like it is covering your medical expenses to me. WOW! Amazing how coverage differs from State to State. If you want to be absolutly sure call your agent and verify.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:34 AM
666Glide
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: HeatherC

That sounds like it is covering your medical expenses to me. WOW! Amazing how coverage differs from State to State. If you want to be absolutly sure call your agent and verify.
Am going to do just that as I've got to get them to quote me for Uninsured/underinsured amounts. I read a post last week about one of our members getting run off the road in a hit/run so I think that's something I want to include as well. Thanks for questioning the coverage stated from my original post so I wasn't running the roads thinking I had something I didn't.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:30 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

Just called my insurance agent to add the Medical Pay option in the amount of a $1000 for a $50 annual premium on top of what I already pay. She wasn't sure where the upper limit comes from, but $1000 is all they can offer through State Farm here in Minnesota. I'll try some other insurance companies and see if I could get more from them.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:49 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

Calledthe Minnesotaoffice for the Deputy Commissioner of Enforcement and Licensing andtheperson I talked tosaid that the $1000 limit on personal medical payments is State Farm's limit not anything imposed by the state of Minnesota. Sounds like I need to go insurance shopping.