General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchased used FLHXS....having issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019 | 02:29 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy

Charge that new battery first.

Old 01-07-2019 | 07:24 PM
shineola
Tourer

New battery is a good start definitely that way you can find out if the charging system has issues. I just bought a 2011 CVO with a dead battery with 5600 miles never even heard it run...... loaded in the trailer and took it home not a big deal . Put a fresh battery in it and it fired right up..... hope my trans shifts ok 😳

Old 01-07-2019 | 08:31 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Neutral safety switch as well..... sure it was in neutral? Try pulling in clutch?

Old 01-09-2019 | 03:19 PM
Michael R Moore
|
Advanced

sorry was out for a couple days....

so yes chopper man was correct, and I can admit I am an idiot....wasn't in neutral. figured that out before even noticing it on this thread. went to move the bike and it wouldn't roll so I was like what the heck it should have been in neutral cause all that time attempting to start it it never lurched. so I immediately wondered if that was a safety feature I was unaware of...and of course it was. put in neutral and it slowly turned over. now the old battery still needed replacing but yes that's why I was getting nothing.

this is my first bike made after about 2005 so it never dawned on me. now I know.

thanks for all the insight everyone...

The following 2 users liked this post by Michael R Moore:
cbrenthus (01-09-2019), Vernal (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019 | 04:09 PM
moparnut72
Tourer

"Once the battery is discharged to the point that it can't start the bike, it's never the same and needs to be replaced."

Right. I was having a beer with a buddy rider and mentioned that I have trouble starting my bike when the temperature is in the 30's. I figure time for a new battery but it has never started really quickly. A 110 motor which had ACR problems when brand new which were remedied by the dealer with a reflash as per service bulletin due to a recall. Anyway this guy says do you use a maintainer? Yup. That's your problem. You need to let the battery run down and then recharge. He said to run it down to dead and then bring it back up. Best thing you can do for your battery. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. WTF
kk

Old 01-09-2019 | 04:17 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Welcome to the Forum from Utah.
And welcome to the humbling world of Harley Davidson

Old 01-09-2019 | 07:30 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member

I'm still running the original battery that came with my 76 Shovel Head.....There I did it !!!

Old 01-09-2019 | 07:56 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
I'm still running the original battery that came with my 76 Shovel Head.....There I did it !!!
ME TOO!!

kroozeabout

Old 01-10-2019 | 11:57 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by moparnut72
"Once the battery is discharged to the point that it can't start the bike, it's never the same and needs to be replaced."

Right. I was having a beer with a buddy rider and mentioned that I have trouble starting my bike when the temperature is in the 30's. I figure time for a new battery but it has never started really quickly. A 110 motor which had ACR problems when brand new which were remedied by the dealer with a reflash as per service bulletin due to a recall. Anyway this guy says do you use a maintainer? Yup. That's your problem. You need to let the battery run down and then recharge. He said to run it down to dead and then bring it back up. Best thing you can do for your battery. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. WTF
kk
For dry (deep cycle) cells yes; but the ones in a bike or car??!
No.

Old 01-10-2019 | 03:17 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member

You mentioned it was a "rebuild".. Check BOTH ends of BOTH cables. If he rebuilt the engine, he would have removed the battery cables. Not sure but some ground cables ground to the block.

Quick Reply: purchased used FLHXS....having issues