General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchased used FLHXS....having issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019 | 09:33 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
Pull the battery, take it to an auto parts store and have them test it would be my suggestion.
I vote for this as well. It's the easiest thing to check first, and if it wouldn't start after a full night on a tender, I'm willing to bet the issue here is the battery.

2 scenarios that would cause this dead battery - #1, prior owner didn't ride it for a moth or 2 before selling, and the battery ran down.

#2, willing to bet this is what happened if it has security - bike was put on truck without being put in trailer mode and the security system ran the battery down.

Once the battery is discharged to the point that it can't start the bike, it's never the same and needs to be replaced.

Old 01-07-2019 | 10:06 AM
MarkinMO
Tourer

Your starter motor pulls a hell of a lot more amperage than the electrical accessories. Sounds like a new battery is in your future.

Old 01-07-2019 | 10:14 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member

Sounds like it could be the battery but you said it was jumping between 12 and 15 volts while riding. That could be a loose cable.

Old 01-07-2019 | 10:34 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member

As others have said, make sure you turn the run switch to "run", replace both bike battery and key fob battery, fire it up and ride.

rk classic.

Old 01-07-2019 | 10:45 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Loose cables or bad battery.

Old 01-07-2019 | 11:00 AM
springers4ever
Road Master
Cool Charging system...

you should check the charging system next time you get is started ....once it running ...put a volt meter across the battery ....slowly increase rpm's to about 2000 ....should show a little over 14 volts ....if it's not changing at all might be issue with voltage regulator/stator ....
if all that checks put ...replace the battery ...as many here have stated before ...

Old 01-07-2019 | 12:36 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2goldens
Charge and then load test the battery. I find that they don't really last all that long, maybe 3-4 seasons. Get ready now for all of the replies from guys who are running the factory battery in their '81 shovel.
Mine's a '79, thank you. I just replaced the battery. It was 5 years old. The one before that went 7.
This latest one showed 12.3 volts at rest. Turn the key on and hit the starter, it went down to 2. Looked inside it, and it was pretty dry. Last fall, it still turned over okay, and started okay, but the turn signals were slow, and you could kinda tell it was ready. With this new battery, you don't even hear it turn over before it's running.
So...OP, get a new battery. You'll find out how tight the connections are when you do it, and besides, that one has been deep-cycled anyway.

Old 01-07-2019 | 12:55 PM
Michael R Moore
|
Advanced

it was on "run" and key in right position....and I already have picked up a battery and planned to either way, was just more concerned about it doing NOTHING this morning. again was curious if that could in fact be the battery. I have had bad batteries before but I always got a click or sluggish turnover etc...never has it done nothing.

Old 01-07-2019 | 01:43 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member

If it is really done, you might not get a click or anything. It might even show enough voltage, but you won't have enough current to do anything but run accessories.

The following users liked this post:
Michael R Moore (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019 | 01:55 PM
Michael R Moore
|
Advanced

new battery purchased and will try when I get home...hopefully that will do it...

Quick Reply: purchased used FLHXS....having issues