General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Day trip in Maui

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 08:07 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Day trip in Maui

Heading to Maui at the end of January and have a Street Glide reserved for a day. Anyone have a recommendation for a day trip?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:17 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I truly hope that you enjoy but any time I have thought about that possibility this song comes to mind.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Lol...

We almost moved to Oahu three years ago, but my wife said, "what the hell do you want to live in the middle of the ocean for?"

Old 12-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Check out Matt Laidlaw's ride to Hana..

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 12-31-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 10:55 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,903 Likes on 4,970 Posts

A trip to Hanna is long, and it rains a lot along the way, and the road gets kinda slippery. The road is very twisty, and you must pay extreme attention, and therefore you don't get to see as much as you think you might. Stops along the way make it beautiful, to be sure, bt increases the time getting there. Speed is very low and if traffic is bad it will take hours to get there. Start early in the morning. I took my wife with me, and she was very nervous the whole way, didn't enjoy it as much as either of us wanted. Hanna is great, Love it. Been there many times but only rode it once. It isn't as easy as you might think. It is doable, but in the end, I've enjoyed the trip more in a car, and even took a tour bus once, which by the way was a pretty good experience. The road is narrow in spots, and on the way there, the left side of the road is straight down for a long way, which adds to the excitement. If you're bringing along a passenger, (wife/girlfriend) I am going to say she will be anxious to be sure. Be careful, and maybe consider just going to Kehei, or Kapulua, and snorkel in the bay, thats spectacular, and your lady will love it too. Many things to do there some great roads to ride, but traffic is heavy all the time, and most are tourists, don't know where they are going, and are oblivious to most around them, way worse than the normal traffic. so be very aware. Have a great trip. and Mai tai's at Kapulua Bay at sunset are worth dying for!!!

PS. The wife is now saying she wasn't as nervous as I thought she was, but she didn't like the rain. It is warm rain, but again the roads get slick. Hope you go to Hanna, go to the 7 sacred pools and take a walk thru the bamboo forest to the waterfall. You can swim in the pools and jump off the rock edges, its quite a jump 50-60 feet, I did it, but the water is really cold. Also speaking of cold, a trip to Haleakala (sp?) the crater, is amazing but gets real cold up there I think its 11K or 12K high, snows there sometimes, take the car, You may get to drive right thru the clouds, depending on the weather, you can also camp in the crater, but again bring kinda warm clothes. There is also a bicycle trip that you can take down the mountain. They drive you to the top, and you basically coast down. Snorkel Molikini , have to leave from Kehi , take the dive boat to a crater out in the ocean, drop anchor in 125ft of water, and watch it hit bottom!! very cool, plus turtle bay, and swim with the turtles. A submarine, a real one, leaves out of Lahina, and dives to around 100 ft. another cool thing to do

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 12-31-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:55 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,734 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Yes, be sure to do the submarine tour!
Everything turns "blueish" as the infrared light waves don't penetrate past about 10-15' of depth.
Don't waste your time in bars. Do some riding!
Speeds are slow, but that's ok.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:02 PM
2whlr4life
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,654 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Arrow

SURE, rub it in. I hope you get sunburned-Just kidding. I hope you post some pictures afterwards.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
Heading to Maui at the end of January and have a Street Glide reserved for a day. Anyone have a recommendation for a day trip?
You can do the whole Island in a day just stay off the roads they tell you to avoid, the 360 loop isn't for amateurs and can be very wet. The 30 loop to 340 is a nice ride but the 340 section is challenging, do a google maps and do your homework first to see if it appeals. Rode a bike around the island for 5 days, was about 2 too many till I met the local bike club. Decent people but watch your back around some of them if the booze gets flowing. Ride up to the observatories is nice but at 10,000 ft probably pretty cold this time of year.

Enjoy

Old 12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I have done the trip to Hana multiple times and although it’s an adventure, prepare for a LONG day with traffic and possibly heavy rains. I prefer the trip in a convertible.

Riding Upcountry (37) is one of my favorite rides as well as north of Lahaina on 30/340 until the pavement ends. Lots of great places to pull over (and dudes trying to sell you Maui Wowie!).

Let me know if you have any questions. I have been renting Harley’s on Maui for 15 years or so (weekly rentals) and have ridden just about everywhere on that island.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:48 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,268 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Haliyakala is great. As mentioned, bring a sweatshirt.

And watch your speed. The local PoPo don’t screw around. Speed traps everywhere.

Quick Reply: Day trip in Maui