General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter arm replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 04:19 PM
LMCI-Enforcer
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Shifter arm replacement

I was shown by my dealer that my rear shifter arm on my 2016 FLHTK needed to be replaced do to wear. They needed $400. to fix it because of the labor involved, i.e. pulling off the outer and inner primary to get to this part. This shifter arm is connected to your shift linkage as well as connecting to a splined shaft coming out of the transmission and is in very tight quarters. I researched a few videos and to see how others did it, several suggested cutting the old arm out which sounded and looked like a real pain in the *** to me. My line of thinking is if you have to cut the old to remove it how are you going to install the new one??? What is was shown was taking and inserting a screwdriver into the slice where the allen head bolt secures the arm to the shaft and pry it open to facilitate removal. I did that on the old one and spread the new one open a little more to get it on as well, and sure as **** it went right on! I'll say this and this is one of the most important things about the entire project, the new shifter arm once installed on the splined shaft must be at positioned at approximately 11 o'clock. The reason being that if it's too far forward your linkage once reconnected will hit your inner primary cover when you upshift!