General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-vs-Chevy Volt...Disturbing and Expected Outcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:52 PM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts
Default Harley-vs-Chevy Volt...Disturbing and Expected Outcome

This happened several years back, and practically in my back yard. Just a reminder here to ride like they're out to kill you. Because they will. Be safe this holiday season and every time, in a cage or on your bike. We've had a population boom in WA state, and I swear, it seems we have a MC rider die nearly every day. It's a zoo on the roads here. We had a local 19 year old girl who just picked up her first motorcycle, an 883 I believe, and accidentally drifted into a pickup truck when crossing the center line. Died on the scene. Horrible and senseless loss, of a very young woman...only 5 miles from my house.

We hate seeing this stuff (May he RIP), but I think we should on occasion. Anyway, please be safe out there!

"A 47-year-old Snohomish man died in a motorcycle vs. car collision on Highway 106 Saturday afternoon. ***** was riding a 2013 Harley Davidson motorcycle westbound on 106 about 1 PM. At milepost 10, which is west of Twanoh State Park, the Harley crossed the centerline and struck an eastbound Chevrolet Volt head-on. Williams was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Volt, *****, 68 of Belfair, was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The cause of this collision remains under investigation."

Old 12-22-2018, 12:17 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

The two cases you highlighted may not be the best examples to make your point since both riders crossed the center line and hit the car. Cars are definitely out to get you when you ride in the path of oncoming traffic.

Nonetheless, it never hurts to remind everyone to ride safe.

Originally Posted by FunGramps
... "A 47-year-old Snohomish man died in a motorcycle vs. car collision on Highway 106 Saturday afternoon. ***** was riding a 2013 Harley Davidson motorcycle westbound on 106 about 1 PM. At milepost 10, which is west of Twanoh State Park, the Harley crossed the centerline and struck an eastbound Chevrolet Volt head-on. Williams was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver of the Volt, *****, 68 of Belfair, was airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. The cause of this collision remains under investigation."
The cause of the collision remains under investigation? It seems rather obvious.

The following users liked this post:
MadDaddy (12-26-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 07:09 AM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34,834 Likes on 8,108 Posts

The accident is still being investigated because the authorities are trying to determine if it was a mechanical issue or rider error.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:00 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
The accident is still being investigated because the authorities are trying to determine if it was a mechanical issue or rider error.
I realize that. I'm just playing the semantics game.

The cause of the collision is the rider crossed the center line. The cause of why the rider crossed the center line is under investigation.

skootchnc (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 08:23 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,996 Likes on 11,997 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
What kind of mechanical issue would cause a rider to ride into the oncoming lane?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:02 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
What kind of mechanical issue would cause a rider to ride into the oncoming lane?
Hmmmm, tire blowout maybe

Old 12-22-2018, 09:05 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Good question. I'm not mechanic, but I can't think of anything.

The OP's articles don't support his statement. Both cases cited sound like rider issues. You can't place fault on the other vehicle if you drift into it's path.
I do ride like they're trying to kill me, so I stay on my side of the road. Why make their job any easier?

Old 12-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

A couple years ago, I was singled out by a motor cop at a roadside check.
He wanted to know how long I had been riding bikes and seemed relieved when I told him 45 years.
He went on to tell me that the local accident rate for "older guy's" on big bikes was just abysmal.
The riders were failing to make curves on our mountain highways and simply running off the road with no other vehicles nearby.
I figured, for every running off the road there must be 1000 crossing the centerline.
Anyway, he was nice enough about it and we had a good conversation. My ego isn't so big that I can't use a little information to evaluate how I ride.

FunGramps (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
................ My ego isn't so big that I can't use a little information to evaluate how I ride.
Probably explains how you've managed to survive all these decades.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 AM
FunGramps
Banned
Received 1,544 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyBob52
Hmmmm, tire blowout maybe
Good example. Although normally it is excessive speed or alcohol. I had a front blowout at 60mph (not cornering), and one he** of a time staying in my lane. It was an older, heavy Goldwing. Had some brown in my tighty-whities afterward.

Quick Reply: Harley-vs-Chevy Volt...Disturbing and Expected Outcome