General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were HD dealerships like in the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:29 PM
HubBub
Tourer

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Yeah, those guys are almost as bad as people who come here asking for help then **** all over the place. You know, the kind who've been riding for 40 of their 49 years.
I've only asked for help in the history of my families dealership and help to convert a different wheel for my bike. Not sure what you mean but I do ALL my own work on my bikes. If that was meant to be derogatory get yourself an overpriced T-Shirt next time you're having your tire pressure checked at the dealership. Oh, and get another tattoo tough guy.

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:39 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by HubBub
I've only asked for help in the history of my families dealership and help to convert a different wheel for my bike. Not sure what you mean but I do ALL my own work on my bikes. If that was meant to be derogatory get yourself an overpriced T-Shirt next time you're having your tire pressure checked at the dealership. Oh, and get another tattoo tough guy.
Seems the only one here who needs to keep tellin' people how tough they are is you. You know nothing about me, let's continue that fine relationship.

The following 2 users liked this post by OKMICK:
Greezey Rider (12-24-2018), tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 10:40 PM
HubBub
Tourer

Originally Posted by TSheff
Yes and he's been asking Harley questions for 3 years.

To answer the Thread question and probably butt hurt a few; Harley shops in "the Day" were a lot like the riders and biker that went in to do business. They knew their product and would talk to you about your bike or the ones on the floor. There was no carpet or tile on the sales floor, usually just concrete, parts on the wall, maybe a helmet or two, maybe a leather jacket or two and if you were lucky 1 Sporty, and a couple of Electraglides. The used bike were in the back and you would walk through the shop to get to them. Sales counter and parts counter were the same and the salesman might be the owner - no GM, Service Manager, Service Writer, or girls selling jewelery and clothing.
They were literally Harley SHOPs - a garage that sold bikes, not boutiques. The owner and customers were riders and bikers, most of them knew each oother, and if you couldn't fix most of it yourself you didn't buy or ride one.
Oh to be back in such a simpler time.
I imagine that's what my families dealership might have been like, only 40 years earlier. I liked dealerships in the late '70s and early '80s but that's I've got to go on.

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:42 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Edit removed but what the F*** is with all the dick head wanna be hard asses? I'm so sick of the "I got a tattoo and a Harley in the 70's or 80's and now I'm hard people". None of those badasses have a clue and they certainly never were badass enough to kick me off their turf. I grew UP Harley with heritage that goes back before pretty much before anybody here and I don't feel the need to be a dick or get tattoos to back it up. I stand on my own two feet. Maybe the hard asses should try THAT instead of acting badass. The dude who pointed out that drinking at a dealership and riding home didn't need to be degraded. It was a different time and those who "know" understand that and those who don't just didn't get to experience it. Lighten up already
MEOW!
Stay tuned for the movie ... It'll be thrilling, I'm sure

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:44 PM
HubBub
Tourer

OK Mick. I'm not into pissing matches. You win. Of course, if you were really a winner you would have bettered yourself and moved out of Oklahoma. I'm done with you since your trashy and don't have any useful information, enjoy your double wide in OH, cough, LAHOMA. Get some experience pup.

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:54 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

​​​....Get some experience pup.
No need to get in a pissin' match with you, you're doing fine all by yourself.

The following 2 users liked this post by OKMICK:
Greezey Rider (12-24-2018), tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 11:00 PM
sbrmike
Road Master

Originally Posted by sbrmike
I don't know where my words went. Cerini's was in business since 1905. These are not my pics but I remember the place just like the pics in the 1970's and 1980's. Babe (August) Cerini knew where everything in those drawers were. There was enough room in front of the display case for one maybe two Harleys tops. They went boutique and moved into a big new place on rte 51 and closed in a couple of years after that.
Babe Cerini hated choppers; he would not work on them. In the 1970's if you took a mag wheel in to get a new tire or fix a flat, Babe would tell you to "get that out of here. I don't work on choppers." He hated Supeglides because they were a factory chopper. He would work on them though. He was a great mechanic. I miss that place / time.

Old 12-23-2018 | 11:01 PM
HubBub
Tourer

Originally Posted by OKMICK
No need to get in a pissin' match with you, you're doing fine all by yourself.
Didn't think you had a good comeback because the truth hurts. You started slinging mud. Kinda dicked as this thread is about what Harley dealerships were like in the past.Ever seen the OCEAN? Carry on.

Old 12-23-2018 | 11:06 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

What truth might that be?

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 11:07 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Didn't think you had a good comeback because the truth hurts. You started slinging mud. Kinda dicked as this thread is about what Harley dealerships were like in the past.Ever seen the OCEAN? Carry on.
"had a good comeback" ... Seriously? Is this grade school?

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2018)

Quick Reply: What were HD dealerships like in the past?