General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were HD dealerships like in the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018 | 03:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Tired
Was KC Harley out toward Independence on 40? That rings a bell. Don't believe I ever was at Wayne's though.
Yeah it was, I was there when the old man died and his dingbat wife took over. Left shortly after. Wayne's was down by the old train station, guess that areas yuppieville now .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 12-23-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-23-2018 | 04:29 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by panz4ever

Tom Sifton's shop on Monterey Road in San Jose CA. He sold it to Sam Arena and it satyed in the family until the early 80s.

Manny, Al, & Louie (forgot the 4th wrench) did all the work. Got to know Al very well from taking a '52 "rat" pan I bought and having him help me sort through my screw ups getting it up and running (early 70s). Never had an issue walking into the service bay and watching them do their magic. They never did boot me for asking questions as they worked on bikes. Al kept wrenchin (had his own shop) until his eyesight got too poor to work. Great man who passed a few years back. He forgot more than I could ever learn in a lifetime of working and riding harleys.

Don't recall ever seeing more than a handful of bikes on the floor. Good size parts counter as well. Friendly place and friendly people who actually knew what they were talking about when it came to bikes.
I remember those days. Not only Al Fernandez, Manny,& Louie Aruta (who also opened his own shop in the 80's) worked for Sam, but also Rich Williams & Bruce Fornier. Bruce started working for Sam in 1962 & later opened his own shop (HD Express later HP Express due to trademark issues with the MoCo). I worked for Bruce in the early 90's. When Sam closed the doors Rich, Al, & Manny opened RAM Motorcycle on Camden Ave. Those were good days back then. Sunnyvale HD was another cool shop. They threw some great parties with live bands & kegs of beer.

Last edited by Tommy C; 12-23-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2018 | 05:04 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bob Blehead
WOW!!! What a PLACE!! They let you smoke AND encouraged drinking and then riding!!!!!!

BOY!! Those were the days!!!
You betcha. The days of wooden ships and iron men. When a man could have a few drinks without getting all tipsey and giggly like a little school girl and do something stupid to get himself smashed up. But that's OK. If you prefer the multi choice automatic espresso machines a lot of dealers have these days then I suppose -

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 06:19 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

OP - I strongly disagree with every premise that you stated. Been to many dealerships over the years of my journey to 48 states. I have never experienced any of the conditions that you posted. Particularly the "high and mighty" one.

Never had any repair problem in my experience at several dealers nor anyone that I ride with has ever expressed.

Old 12-23-2018 | 06:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I'm sure that some noticed ( maybe not ) that the OP's screen name is "Shadowfornow" ... pretty sure that mean a Honda ???

Old 12-23-2018 | 06:29 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I'm sure that some noticed ( maybe not ) that the OP's screen name is "Shadowfornow" ... pretty sure that mean a Honda ???

Old 12-23-2018 | 06:32 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Only the Shadow knows

Old 12-23-2018 | 06:33 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP - I strongly disagree with every premise that you stated. Been to many dealerships over the years of my journey to 48 states. I have never experienced any of the conditions that you posted. Particularly the "high and mighty" one.

Never had any repair problem in my experience at several dealers nor anyone that I ride with has ever expressed.
Lucky you, I've had a similar experience with everything he stated and not just at one place. Just the crap I dealt with when I decided to buy the RK was near enough to put me on another brand, 4 dealers and all but one either tried selling me something I didn't want or acted like it was an imposition to be talking to me. We won't get into the rube treatment attempted for a couple warranty issues, talking to someone like they just fell off the hay truck isn't how you inspire confidence in a perspective future customer for other work. I'll do my own cam now just use factory parts. Fug um....

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 06:42 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP - I strongly disagree with every premise that you stated. Been to many dealerships over the years of my journey to 48 states. I have never experienced any of the conditions that you posted.....
You've never had a tire issue near Chuck's Deluxe in Gillette, Wyoming have ya?

Old 12-23-2018 | 06:43 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
You've never had a tire issue near Chuck's Deluxe in Gillette, Wyoming have ya?
Flashbacks ... Resurrections ... It's all here on the Forum

Quick Reply: What were HD dealerships like in the past?