General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were HD dealerships like in the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018 | 06:39 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member

Dales Modern Cycle in San Bernardino in the '70's. No pics (well one somewhere of my newborn son on a bike but can't find it). The salesman - the only one - put up with my regular visits even though I never bought a bike from him. Bought some parts though and a couple of t-shirts there. Very small place by todays standards. My local dealer now - Victorville HD- has some good folks too.

Old 12-23-2018 | 08:19 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Good **** ... love thinking back

Old 12-23-2018 | 08:58 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bob Blehead
WOW!!! What a PLACE!! They let you smoke AND encouraged drinking and then riding!!!!!!

BOY!! Those were the days!!!

Yeh, they were!!

Old 12-23-2018 | 09:44 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Wonder if anyone here ever started a thread asking guys to post pics of their train set ups?
Saw one years ago in here somewhere, some serious train peeps in here.

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:24 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Wanted a bike around 1984 but didn't have the 3K needed for one. By 1989 I could swing it and bought my first one at Monty's Cycle Shop in W. Bridgewater, Ma. Small shop, smelled like oil and fuel, not many parts on the wall but they knew Harley's. Not many bikes on the floor to choose from but the only sales person (female) knew her stuff and you could tell she rode a lot. Not feeling the big box shiny tile floor glass facades of today's dealerships.

Old 12-23-2018 | 10:24 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Skip Fordyce in Riverside, CA. Wish I could find an old pic. They had these decals to hand out....

Today this decal would have a business in big trouble with their tit in a ringer.

The following 2 users liked this post by upflying:
chuckw2 (12-24-2018), tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 10:42 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Back in the very early 80s, I walked into Lombardi's on Staten Island. Small shop, a few bikes, some parts, no shirts, jackets or anything else. Was greeted by the owner. It was very end of the season. He said, ' Ill take a nickle off if you want the bike', It was a shovel wide glide, an 82. I pulled out cash. 10 minutes we were done. No posers, no air fresheners, no offices to go into.. Did the deal on a work bench.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018 | 10:49 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
T&O was never a dealer just the go to place for go fast parts, I have a set of their bare flywheels still new in a box.
Yep, didn't mean to imply they were. As you know though they were all about HD and always had a bunch of used bikes for sale. And they are still an old time shop. Pardon me for drifting off thread a couple degrees.

Another drift is I was lucky enough to have Dale Nungesser for a neighbor when I was a youngster. His garage/shop was always old style and interesting and all about HD's going fast.

Old 12-23-2018 | 11:23 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Tired
Yep, didn't mean to imply they were. As you know though they were all about HD and always had a bunch of used bikes for sale. And they are still an old time shop. Pardon me for drifting off thread a couple degrees.

Another drift is I was lucky enough to have Dale Nungesser for a neighbor when I was a youngster. His garage/shop was always old style and interesting and all about HD's going fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_S0XkWxjI4

No thing partner, been using T&O stuff since I got my first harley, used to live in KC, they where a short ride away. I worked for Kansas City Harley in 1978 when they were out on old 40 hwy. Ever go to Wayne's House of Choppers when they were still open ?

Old 12-23-2018 | 11:57 AM
Tired
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
No thing partner, been using T&O stuff since I got my first harley, used to live in KC, they where a short ride away. I worked for Kansas City Harley in 1978 when they were out on old 40 hwy. Ever go to Wayne's House of Choppers when they were still open ?
Was KC Harley out toward Independence on 40? That rings a bell. Don't believe I ever was at Wayne's though.

Quick Reply: What were HD dealerships like in the past?