General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were HD dealerships like in the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018 | 08:17 AM
psyshack
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Ive met some great people from oklahoma but man, screw that place. Did you guys get real beer yet?
Yep,,, beer for all and medical MJ!!!!! And enough people in prison to start it's own third world nation.

Old 12-25-2018 | 08:34 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior

Mud Thanks for the pic up load Fantastic pics

Old 12-25-2018 | 10:05 AM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer in my home town. You could buy a vacuum cleaner while you looked over the bikes.

The following 4 users liked this post by ChopperBill:
psyshack (12-25-2018), tar_snake (12-27-2018), TwiZted Biker (12-25-2018), user 7172984932 (12-28-2018)
Old 12-25-2018 | 09:13 PM
riggpigg
Supporter

Damn I love looking at those old pix! Keep em coming! And when you go in the "New Dealerships and are accosted by the millennial sales "Person" the first question outa their mouths is.."So, what do you ride now", I always simply ask them what they ride.........not once has any one of them said they owned a bike, much less a HD...........When I tell them I have a 16F they say there's no such thing.......then I tell them its a 1916........guaranteed to get a "deer in the headlights look"........
Used to be the owner worked the counter, his son or nephew was turning wrenches, and no one ever needed a "Chrome Consultant". WTF is that????? I realize Im a dinosaur and times change, but I miss how it used to be. You'd see a bike parked at a bar, or a parts store and you knew who it was by the paint or the machine.......Now I haven't a clue who rides what anymore....
As Dylan said..."The times are a changin" ....................I guess I better learn to deal with it.........

The following 4 users liked this post by riggpigg:
hardheaded (12-26-2018), psyshack (12-28-2018), tar_snake (12-27-2018), Uncle Larry (12-25-2018)
Old 12-26-2018 | 01:34 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by riggpigg
Damn I love looking at those old pix! Keep em coming! And when you go in the "New Dealerships and are accosted by the millennial sales "Person" the first question outa their mouths is.."So, what do you ride now", I always simply ask them what they ride.........not once has any one of them said they owned a bike, much less a HD...........When I tell them I have a 16F they say there's no such thing.......then I tell them its a 1916........guaranteed to get a "deer in the headlights look"........
Used to be the owner worked the counter, his son or nephew was turning wrenches, and no one ever needed a "Chrome Consultant". WTF is that????? I realize Im a dinosaur and times change, but I miss how it used to be. You'd see a bike parked at a bar, or a parts store and you knew who it was by the paint or the machine.......Now I haven't a clue who rides what anymore....
As Dylan said..."The times are a changin" ....................I guess I better learn to deal with it.........
So wherez the pics?????????????/

Old 12-26-2018 | 08:09 AM
DonnieM
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
Many people have complained about HD dealerships. Expensive bikes, high and mighty attitude, over priced accessories, bad repairs, ripoffs, etc. What were HD dealerships like in the 80s, 70s, and 60s before they became what they are?
A visit to a well run Indy that specializes in Harley repair would be more representative of the dealerships of old, minus the new bikes. It won't have a motor clothes section and the owner is probably also the parts guy and the wrench as well. The owners bike is likely parked on site. Chances are they might have a few used bikes for sale and you won't have to go through the salesman to get to the Sales Manager and Finance Manager (of which both will try to up sell a extended service plan) to get an OTD price.

Most dealerships these days are run by big money automotive groups and run as such. The owners have a brand new bike with less than 5K on the odometer and ride on days when it is at least 75 degrees wearing their Chinese made MOCO gear

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-27-2018)
Old 12-26-2018 | 08:46 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Hey Man
You betcha. The days of wooden ships and iron men. When a man could have a few drinks without getting all tipsey and giggly like a little school girl and do something stupid to get himself smashed up. But that's OK. If you prefer the multi choice automatic espresso machines a lot of dealers have these days then I suppose - https://youtu.be/_VrFV5r8cs0

This is what I was thinking, drinking isnt for everybody, the ones that cant handle it give everyone else a bad reputation...

Old 12-26-2018 | 09:54 AM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I don't think Trump rides a Harley.
Mike Pence does and that,s good enough for me

Old 12-26-2018 | 11:21 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Jshopes
Ive met some great people from oklahoma but man, screw that place. Did you guys get real beer yet?
Yes, finally. Began Oct 1....hooray for us.

Old 12-26-2018 | 11:29 AM
warprints
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ShovelEd
The person SELLING Harleys actually OWNED and RODE a Harley.
Same with the mechanics, the service advisors, and the Parts people.
At Cajun Harley Davidson the owned and his two sons, who pretty much run the business, do monthly rides with whoever wants to show up. I can't guarantee it, but I believe most all of the folks that work there ride. I've never been ignored, ridiculed, etc., when I showed up on a sport bike or adv bike, or on the barkalouger Wing, even before I owned a Harley. Can't say the same about all shops I've stopped at.
My experience in the old days - if you didn't ride a Harley, most shops didn't want you there.

Quick Reply: What were HD dealerships like in the past?