General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What were HD dealerships like in the past?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2018 | 04:11 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

The front with just a few bikes And the back were probably visable from either end, the store front floor was just slightly less stained then the shop floor, the parts guy was also the mechanic, maybe even the owner.
Just a few catalogs anyway and they were more like jobber price lists. Most likely they didn’t need to refer to it often, good thing because it was smudged black from his fingers. Prices and part numbers where in his head, fed ex didn’t exist so forget Getting anything in the same week, you probably didn’t have to pre pay special orders though
girlie calenders right out in the open, with a few well dog eared penthouses in the single hole *******,

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (12-25-2018)
Old 12-24-2018 | 06:28 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Rocker NH

This is for the tough guys riding Harleys and Sh#t
I don't think Trump rides a Harley.

Old 12-24-2018 | 07:09 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP - I strongly disagree with every premise that you stated. Been to many dealerships over the years of my journey to 48 states. I have never experienced any of the conditions that you posted. Particularly the "high and mighty" one.

Never had any repair problem in my experience at several dealers nor anyone that I ride with has ever expressed.
Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Lucky you, I've had a similar experience with everything he stated and not just at one place. Just the crap I dealt with when I decided to buy the RK was near enough to put me on another brand, 4 dealers and all but one either tried selling me something I didn't want or acted like it was an imposition to be talking to me. We won't get into the rube treatment attempted for a couple warranty issues, talking to someone like they just fell off the hay truck isn't how you inspire confidence in a perspective future customer for other work. I'll do my own cam now just use factory parts. Fug um....
Before I got my '09, I was looking in the3 dealerships in my area. The one on the border of Kentucky and TN not far from me I walked in and started to browse. I was in old, dirty levis, torn off sleeved t-shirt (also a little dirty from grease and oil and stuff), had long hair then but not the huge long bushy beard I have now.

I walked around in that place for 45 damn minutes and not one person who worked there (or anyone for that matter) came over and said 'Hi', 'Eat **** and git out', 'Too expensive for you', etc...no one and nothing. Finally I just said screw it and made sure I've not been back there since to get parts or anything else from them.

Last edited by tar_snake; 12-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2018 | 07:11 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Those who forget history are deemed to repeat it
In this case of this thread...I WISH! lol

Old 12-24-2018 | 07:42 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HubBub
OK Mick. I'm not into pissing matches. You win. Of course, if you were really a winner you would have bettered yourself and moved out of Oklahoma. I'm done with you since your trashy and don't have any useful information, enjoy your double wide in OH, cough, LAHOMA. Get some experience pup.
You useless, air-wasting little turd. Maybe if you'd paid better attention you'd still have all that so-called information from your self-appointed holier-than-anyone-elses-family-going-back-ziillions-of-years...oh wait, you can't get any information from 60 years ago, but you can sit there and babble incoherently about how your family goes farther back than anyone here, even though you have no clue about anyone here. You're a whiny little smartass who gets butthurt easily. You are why we make fun of people like you, and yes, I am that badass, even as a gimp, you little panty-waist. You want to start on people in this thread with your ****, expect to get **** right back on, dumbass, especially useless ****-stains who think anyone from where he isn't from surely can't be worth a darn. You can shove that up the darkest part of your ***, you dingleberry.

Last edited by tar_snake; 12-24-2018 at 07:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tar_snake:
Greezey Rider (12-24-2018), Uncle Larry (12-25-2018)
Old 12-24-2018 | 08:46 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Ive met some great people from oklahoma but man, screw that place. Did you guys get real beer yet?

Old 12-25-2018 | 06:40 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
Smaller, grittier. much less apparel.
Originally Posted by upflying
They were smaller, less bikes, less glamor and smelled great with the exhaust, gas and oil odors flowing through the building.
Despite all of the money, policies and corporate mandates - the dealerships of old displayed, portrayed actually were more true to the lifestyle that later became nothing more than a merchandising myth.

Let's face it, corporations and business exist to make profits - but H-D lost their way - tried to invent a new way and then had the audacity to use the new way to retain/regain the old way ... bizarre.

Old 12-25-2018 | 06:50 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior

Phil Peterson H-D in Miami was a dealer I have fond memories of from back in the '70's , but into the '80's they had started to change (nothing good last for ever) . But Ft. Lauderdale H-D on 441 was a father & son team of dicks from day

Old 12-25-2018 | 06:51 AM
m1369x
Road Warrior

one!!

Old 12-25-2018 | 06:57 AM
mud
muderator

I have several dozen snapshots from the personal photo album of Fred Neuendorff.

Fred was the HD dealer in San Antonio from the 1920s thru the early 1960s.

I didn't get my first Harley until 1965.

here are a few from Fred's collection.

1st pic is Fred

looking south

looking north

a weekend getaway

The following 4 users liked this post by mud:
0maha (12-26-2018), OKMICK (12-26-2018), tar_snake (12-27-2018), user 7172984932 (12-28-2018)

Quick Reply: What were HD dealerships like in the past?