General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Heritage vs 2017 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:46 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts
Default 2018 Heritage vs 2017 Sportster

Short ride over to the HD dealer today to get stuff (filter, O-rings etc) for the 1000 mile service on my 2018 Heritage FLHCS. Walked by the 2017 XL1200T (Superlow Sportster) that I traded-in when I bought the new ride in early October. It looked great, and I had a tinge of regret about trading it in when I first looked at it. Loved that bike.

Bought the Sportster new in March-2017 after being without a motorcycle for nearly 40 years. Really loved it, but after 5000+ miles, a number of short and 1 long trip (800 miles each way) last summer, I was ready for something bigger and more highway worthy. Thus the Heritage.

About the tinge of regret: I mounted the Sportster in the showroom, noted how SMALL it felt and the regret disappeared. I'm sure looking forward to Spring when I can get some real miles on the Heritage. Not knocking the Sportster; it was the perfect bike for me to "get back in the saddle" on after a long riding break. I'm sure others have felt the same way.

Before and after pics:

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (12-15-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,167 Likes on 6,552 Posts

I could ride that Heritage 800 miles in a day. I know, because I have one and I have....

I wouldn't want to ride that Sportster more than 8 miles.....

Nice pics...

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (06-19-2024)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:13 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

That "super low" has a tallboy seat on it?

Old 12-15-2018, 01:16 AM
HubBub
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't miss my Sportster at all. I suppose I would if I ever sold it but it just sits in the garage. I kept it because I was too lazy to sell it and figured I'd ride it from time to time but all I ever do is take it for a spin around the block to keep it moving. I figured it would be fun to roll around in town on, but no. I take the other one all the time. More comfortable, more space to haul stuff etc. I kept my Sporty thinking one of my kids would ride with me but so far nobody wants to. I need to get around to selling it. I DO fondly remember when it was my trusty daily ride and wonder how I packed all the miles on it for as long as I did. I'd miss it once in a while if it wasn't there but mostly for sentimental reasons, it's certainly not practical.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up

I loved Sportsters for a lot of Years and up until 2010 always had one, although from 2001 up it was my 2nd Ride .. For many years it was my only Ride .. Looked at a Few Sportsters when was thinking about a 2nd Ride again but found this Dyna that knew was well taken care of and the Price was a Steal .. My First Sportster back in 1970 Above ..

Old 12-15-2018, 04:53 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

There's a place in my heart for the Sportster.

I've had many bikes over the years (decades, actually) and many of them were Harleys. When i decided to leave a bike in Daytona rather than shipping or hauling back and forth i picked up a clean '05 Heritage - which I foolishly sold! Back to hauling and shipping and got an 883 Iron ... perfect bike for Bike Week and Biketoberfest traffic and not so bad for those 100-200 miles days running around Volusia County and vicinity. With a modestly sized set of leather throw-over bags and a detachable windscreen, it suits the mission profile.

All that being, I do have an itch for a Dyna but trepidation looms over the M8 engine - so maybe a Scout is in my future; I'm taking a wait and see how my '18 RG does. Like you I believe I will seller's remorse if/when i get rid of that little Sportster.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:07 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Reply to NORTY FLATZ who posted: "That super low" has a tallboy seat on it?"

That was the original seat it had (XL1200T). I replaced it with a Mustang Vintage solo seat which actually raised the seat height about an inch. I put the original back on when I traded it in. I also replaced the front and rear suspension with Progressive monotubes and 12.5" 412s. My 2018 Heritage is about the same height as the "Superlow".

As stated in the OP, I took the Sportster on trip back to my home town in Massachusetts in July-2018 (nostalgia). I rode my first motorcycle there thanks to Ronnies (current sponsor of this forum). At the time, he did more Yamahas than Harleys. Believe it or not, I did up to 450 miles a day on that bike. That was my first big trip on a bike since 1977 when I toured the UP of Michigan on a Honda 360. Pic of the XL1200T fully loaded in July (I over-packed as often happens):

Glad I had the AirHawk!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 325 Posts

I would have any regrets.
The XL was set up to emulate a tourer/ bagger.
Now you have a true bagger....and it looks like as nice ride.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

The “smallness” or minimalism is part of what will always make a Sporty a perfect motorcycle in my world. I love my Heritage, but I love jumping on my Sporty too. Going back and forth is the best of both worlds honestly. If I could only have one motorcycle, it might be the Sportster. I know as I get older (much older) when lighter = better a Sporty will likely be the last thing in my garage.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:51 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 407 Posts

I traded my iron 883 in on my dyna and as much as I love my dyna, I do miss my sportster every now and then. Me and my friend both had iron 883s at the same time and a few months after I traded mine I had to take his and drop it off at the shop while he was working. Man I had forgotten how badly the sportster suspension was and just how narrow of a bike it was (especially the iron with the peanut tank). That being said I still miss my sportster maybe its because it was my first Harley, one of these days I think I will add one to the garage but it won't replace my dyna.

Quick Reply: 2018 Heritage vs 2017 Sportster