General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

garage heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:48 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default garage heat

anybody ever consider using a pellestove in their detached garage

Old 11-30-2018, 06:50 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I would be afraid the gas fumes would ignite and blow the garage miles high....

Old 11-30-2018, 07:41 PM
Scarydog
Tourer
Received 212 Likes on 93 Posts

Pellet stove is a sealed fire pot. Outside air can be piped in also so none of your garage air is used for combustion. A lot of us have furnaces and water heaters in the garage with no issues.
Pellet stove in a small space can make a ton of heat and stave off the cold really well.
Should work well for you.
My dad had one in a 1000 square foot shop and it worked great in some cold Oregon winters.

The following users liked this post:
JOHNNYFLHR (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 07:44 PM
Hurricane 68
Road Captain
Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Dish heat

use one of theses dish type electric heaters put out a lot and not heavy on power use. Works great for my attached garage still get cold just turn on ahead time and keeps nice also my away place to relax Wild Bill

Old 11-30-2018, 09:14 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarydog
Pellet stove is a sealed fire pot. Outside air can be piped in also so none of your garage air is used for combustion.
Cool. Dint know they were sealed and used outside air. Good.to know thanks!

Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 PM
psyshack
Road Warrior
Received 363 Likes on 266 Posts

I feel for the folks up north. I'm in Okiehoma. And all I use is simple electric or nat. gas heaters. And if the temps get down into the single numbers and below I don't go there. The bike is on a batt. charger and I'm in the lap of lux with the soft wife and warm. As a rep for Cleaver Brooks, Lochinvar, Samsung, Aurora and others. Past rep for B&G, Raypak, Spence and many others I feel for the northern folks. Hydronic rad heat and all that crap is a pain in the wallet. Oil burners,,, screw that. If I cared i would buy the most simple natural gas heater system I could find with the best warranty and move on. Nat. gas is still heap cheap here.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 1000 square foot garage and heat it with a pellet stove controlled by a thermostat on the wall. Does great and when I'm not in the garage I keep it at 55ish. My suggestion is to get an automatic starting one. My first stove ran 24 hours a day and if it stopped heating I would have to manually start it. That sucked. My new one turns off with the setting of thermostat and self ignites when heat is needed. I go through 2 tons on a very cold winter (last year in WI). I have 2x4 insulated walls and insulated doors. I try to keep door open as little as possible. 2 years ago we had new years eve party in the garage. We were in t-shirts with heat at 70 and it was barely 10 outside. Seems crazy to do it, but I do not regret it. Makes working on vehicles that much more enjoyable and comfortable. The vehicles start better while having the heated garage as well. The wife likes to work in garage on different projects as well.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 317 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had a pellet stove in my shop for years.Same exact one as I have in my house.In laws GAVE it to me when they bought a newer one.Works great unless it gets REALLY cold.....and it does.I have a salamander heater I run for about 30 mins. to heat it up quick,then just maintain with the pellet stove.As well,the stove in my house has been solid for over 23 years.There are no "fumes" to deal with,as it's a self contained unit.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:59 PM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have a pellet stove in my shop too. Unfortunately I got the wrong control board for it when I screwed up and shorted out the original. So right now it doesn't do the greatest job. However I have been using a pellet stove in my house. The house is old with limited insulation but the pellet stove keeps us quite toasty. I have been using one for close to 20 years. For a long time they didn't even have a provision to use outside air but they all do now. The only drawback with using inside air is if the power goes out smoke will blow back into the house. The stove I am using now is a Englander. I got it at Lowes and it was very reasonable. Self starting but I don't use a thermostat, just run it pretty much 24/7, just adjust the heat level depending on the outside temperature. The only negative is that the one I have has a small hopper, only good for about 12 hours. Some of their models may have a bigger one but I recommend this brand wholeheartedly. I have had several pellet stoves and this is the best one considering the low
price.
kk