Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered - Like a New Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:05 PM
VegasGeorge
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Lowered - Like a New Bike!

I've got about 10,000 miles on my 2017 CVO Ultra Ltd. Up to now, I've never been quite comfortable riding it. It always felt like I was sitting on top, sort of like I was riding my big brother's bike. I could 'flat foot' the ground, but just barely. But now I've put a low profile seat on it which brings me down about 2 inches, and installed a lowering kit on the rear. The "kit" consists of a couple of brackets that attach between the rear shocks and the frame, bringing it down 1 inch. But, to get the brackets to fit, I had to trade my stock shocks for a pair of 2015s off a Road Glide. Seems the 2017's springs are a tad bigger in diameter and interfered with the brackets. So, the 2015 shocks are shorter, and that, together with the brackets, drops the rear end about 2 inches. So, I've effectively lowered the bike somewhere between 3 and 4 inches, depending on where you measure from. I tell you, it rides like a different bike. And, I really like it! I now feel like I'm 'in' the bike rather than 'on' it. I have a lot more purchase on the ground with my feet. And, the bike is ever so much more responsive to weight shifting in the saddle. The center of gravity is now down where it should be. As a little extra bene, I like the rakish look of the lowered rear end. Actually, the whole bike isn't lowered, it's just my sitting position, plus the lower rear end. But it sure works good. For example, it's much steadier during those last few moments when coming to a stop. Not nearly as wobbly as before. And, it feels more responsive when changing lanes and initiating turns. So, you other short leg guys (my inseam is about 30 inches) may want to consider this.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:31 PM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,254 Likes on 1,575 Posts

I had the same epiphany by replacing my stock 13” shocks with 11” Pro Action. It makes for a more enjoyable ride.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,595 Likes on 1,922 Posts

Over 4 years ago, when I got my Limited, I put 1" lowering blocks on the back, had MCC lower the seat, and put 2 + 2 narrow sweepers on.

YUUUUGE difference.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:39 AM
Guitarman_sg
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 80 Posts

I have a set of the lowering blocks for my 14 Street glide. I had heard that there could be some rubbing on the bags so I haven't installed them yet. Have you seen any of this?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:25 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,964 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitarman_sg
I have a set of the lowering blocks for my 14 Street glide. I had heard that there could be some rubbing on the bags so I haven't installed them yet. Have you seen any of this?
I don't think there has been much changed in that area since I did mine years ago, so you should be good.
100,000 miles on mine...never a problem.

Old 11-28-2018, 12:17 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,920 Likes on 11,975 Posts

Were your lean angles affected by the lowering?

Old 11-28-2018, 12:25 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,964 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Were your lean angles affected by the lowering?
You might scrape the boards a touch sooner, but not enough that I would normally lean it that much anyway.
You can still lean it over pretty far.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:21 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,282 Likes on 6,106 Posts

My bike was lowered front and rear by the previous owner and I hate it. It rides rougher than stock and I scrape the boards way too often. I do have the original suspension parts and keep threatening to put them back on. Someday...

Old 11-29-2018, 04:16 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,150 Likes on 6,692 Posts

My friend lower the front by 1" and 2" in the rear on his SG. He was cleaning one day with the bike on the kickstand and the bar was turned full to the left. He was standing on the left side of the bike and turned the bar to the right. The bike fell over. He was still using the stock length kickstand.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:35 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,203 Likes on 1,654 Posts

When my 19 year old daughter started riding 3 years ago she started on a Ninja 250. At 5'1" she could barely tip toe the bike at stops. I put a lowering kit on her bike and she loved being able to flat foot the bike, until she came to our local 10 mph corner, one she loved to lean into. She ground the center stand hard and almost lost control of the bike. Slowed her riding way down. When she upgraded to her 1997 883 Sportster she refused to let me put hugger shocks or a lowering kit in it. She just stands on tippy toes when she stops. I found a Corbin reach seat on Craigslist real cheap. Put it on her bike, it is very firm and makes her butt hurt on long rides, but it is lower and narrower which gets her almost flat footed. So now she uses the Corbin seat for around town riding and puts the stock seat back on for longer rides.

Quick Reply: Lowered - Like a New Bike!