Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 08:02 AM
HarleyBob52
Road Warrior
Received 741 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
I don't know why you're bashing that lift, it's a feature it has for the BMW's to make sure you get all the oil out
That is correct,,,, notice how he put some carpet on his lawnmower to lay it over on!!

The following 2 users liked this post by HarleyBob52:
01dyna (11-27-2018), Lakerat (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 10:54 AM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 472 Likes on 240 Posts

NHPro 1200 they have sales once in a while that will get you free shipping l bough this with the side extensions but only used them once , I found myself bent over and leaning all the time they are up in the attic. You can see them in the last picture
NHPro 1200
;
You can easily remove both wheels at the same time

With side extensions that I hardly ever use any more

Old 11-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Mallard Slayer
Road Warrior
Received 4,190 Likes on 1,130 Posts

side extentions work for servicing ATV, riding mower ect. lift also makes for excellent workbench space when empty and in upright position .

Old 11-26-2018, 06:33 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Nice Tool Box ,

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:57 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Here's all you need to know.

Not saying it happens to everybody but why take the chance just to save a few bucks. Funny how people will spend thousands of dollars to make their bikes go faster than they need to or just to make them look good at bike night but won't spend near that much to keep their bike from smashing to the floor. My Kendon lift never did this and neither has my J&S.
That happened because idiots rely on those stupid wheel chocks and don't use tie down straps, see how far over in the chock the wheel twisted ? Wheel twisted for whatever reason probably the tilt on the average garage floor and that top heavy SOB shifted, once off center it was all over but the paint scratches. That's what dumped it not the lift.

FYI I have personally been there on 2 separate occasions years apart when a Handy lift that all the shops use went over, flat ground, bike centered & strapped and over they went for no reason we ever found on. either lift.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:06 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That happened because idiots rely on those stupid wheel chocks and don't use tie down straps, see how far over in the chock the wheel twisted ? Wheel twisted for whatever reason probably the tilt on the average garage floor and that top heavy SOB shifted, once off center it was all over but the paint scratches. That's what dumped it not the lift.

FYI I have personally been there on 2 separate occasions years apart when a Handy lift that all the shops use went over, flat ground, bike centered & strapped and over they went for no reason we ever found on. either lift.
Agreed. Lack of straps caused that tip over, not the table itself.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:29 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 33,003 Likes on 12,902 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened right after he launched it up into that chock. Especially if his feet were on the concrete as he was running it up into the chock.

but who knows

so if there is any concern then about tables just falling over unannounced how come they don't come with outriggers? There's thousands of bikes in hundreds of shops every day that go on and off tables without incident or without them falling or tipping over unannounced. How likely is it that one is centered in the table and strapped down that the table is going to fall over?

Old 11-27-2018, 05:59 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened right after he launched it up into that chock. Especially if his feet were on the concrete as he was running it up into the chock.

but who knows

so if there is any concern then about tables just falling over unannounced how come they don't come with outriggers? There's thousands of bikes in hundreds of shops every day that go on and off tables without incident or without them falling or tipping over unannounced. How likely is it that one is centered in the table and strapped down that the table is going to fall over?
Pretty unlikely! Nonetheless, I’ve considered welding up some type of outriggers for mine.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 06:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,982 Likes on 17,897 Posts

but who knows

Like I've said twice already in this very thread I personally been there 2 times when that happened, I was eyes on one them when it did it. Level floor standard Handy pro air table lift with locks in place and bike strapped down properly, was the Indian dealership in San Leandro ca.. We had 5 lifts with bike's off and off them multiple times daily, nobody anywhere near the bike. It was like watching a slow motion scene in a movie, the whole thing just started leaning to one side and over it went from normal working height. Helped pick up another that had done the the same in the late 70's

Neither time found a damned thing wrong with either table. It happens probably more than than the public knows, isn't something any shop nor most do it yourselfers want to advertise. I've seen the results of a few others but those were no question operator screw ups and mishandling.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 268 Posts

About the Beemer on the floor. Before I bought my Harbor Freight table, I wanted to research it a bit and see what others had done for upgrades and such.
Of course, the photo of that bike and table tipped was included in the search findings. I traced that photo to a BMW forum and the owner of said bike said he pulled the bike up the ramp and into the chock, got off the bike and closed the garage door and went into the house. He stated that he went out into the garage the next day and found it on its side. He also stated he did NOT strap the bike to the table.

I use the same table and same chock, but, I strap the bike down every time it goes on.
My table lift is my bikes parking spot in the garage. Every time I pull in the driveway, I open the garage door and ride the bike on to the lift, get off and flip the straps over the crash bars and close the door. Done it a hundred times.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle lifts?