General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do you recommend Roadglide or streetglide?!! Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018 | 10:59 AM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior

They’re both great bikes, you don’t really have a loser either way.
if I were doing more highway/interstate riding I would go RG but for what and where I go the SG was what I picked.
I am very happy with my decision.
Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
lh4x4 (08-29-2019)
Old 11-15-2018 | 12:07 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Test ride both... if you find yourself leaning towards one... ask about renting that for a week end....
now 10 years ago... had you asked.... my reply would have been... "if the opinion of others is important to you.... buy the Street Glide... Road Glides ain't for everyone".... today??? RGs are as common as SGs...
the photo below will give you a hint which would be my choice

Old 11-15-2018 | 04:22 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

As mentioned before, they are basically the same bike.
I've owned both styles & found the RG easier to handle at very slow parking lot type speeds. I also thought the RG handled better at higher interstate speeds. Imo, at 20mph-60mph, one is as good as the other. The instruments are further away from the rider on the RG, but that may not make a difference to you since you're coming from a Heritage, not a Bat Wing model. There was a sun reflection issue from the Infotainment screen on my 15 RG. I don't know if that has been re-designed to eliminate the problem. It was not an issue on the SG.
I don't think you can go wrong with either model, so if you like the looks of the RG, I'd suggest you go in that direction.
Ride Safe!

Old 11-15-2018 | 05:04 PM
HD_fan
Road Warrior

BTW I have own both - a 15RG and a 17SG - If I was to buy another bagger it would be a 2012 RG. I just like the look of them.

Last edited by HD_fan; 11-15-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-15-2018 | 11:34 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

........... get the Road Glide.

Old 11-16-2018 | 03:04 AM
slodsm
Road Master

I don't know why people think the non moving fairing of the road glide "messes with your head". Maybe because I spent my first 17 years of motorcycle riding on crotch rockets and none of them have a moveable fairing.

Second, the whole "headlights pointing one way or another" thing, at speed, the amount of steering input to turn one way or another is so negligible you will never notice that the headlights follow or don't follow the bike. Yes, you countersteer, no, it's not 15 degrees of steering so you're never going to see it whether you have a fixed fairing or a batwing.

Third, both are awesome bikes, pick the one you like the best. Personally I am a huuuuge road glide fan, best touring bike I've ever been on. I will end up with one when I get tired of this ultra. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with the ultra/street glide either but I just love the fixed fairing of that big ugly bastard. Also how many speakers you can fit in the fairing with some aftermarket work.

Buy the one that looks how you want it to look when you're done with it, none of us buy a Harley and leave it completely alone. Check out the photo section, scroll through the last 30 pages of the SG and RG pic threads and see what makes you drool. Buy that, ride, enjoy.

Old 11-16-2018 | 10:42 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

It used to be the Special was lowered over the standard. Guess HD changed that. Sorry for my misinformation.

The good news is my 2016 RK had 13” shocks and they were no problem for me at 5’6, so if the RG and SG are both 12” now you should be in good shape.

Old 11-16-2018 | 01:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
It used to be the Special was lowered over the standard. Guess HD changed that. Sorry for my misinformation.

The good news is my 2016 RK had 13” shocks and they were no problem for me at 5’6, so if the RG and SG are both 12” now you should be in good shape.
when you're talking about roadkings, yes. but when you're talking about street glides, vs road glides. then the only time that the 13'' shocks come into play is with the road glide ultras. the customs and specials are all 12''.

Old 11-16-2018 | 05:57 PM
fatmurse
Tourer

10 years riding a batwing, then I bought a shark.....no looking back

Old 11-16-2018 | 08:26 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Really a matter of riding each and deciding which you prefer most. They both have their good and bad. Otherwise same exact bikes other than the fairing.

Quick Reply: what do you recommend Roadglide or streetglide?!! Need Help!!