General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gringo S FF helmet

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 09:40 PM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 236 Posts
Default Gringo S FF helmet

I’ve been looking at some full face lids for colder weather riding. Needless to say there’s about a billion of them but I really like the retro look of the Biltwell Gringo ( maybe the matte black or gloss balck) and the price isn’t too awful. Anybody have one or tried one, and if so would you recommend it ?
Thanks

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM
user 7172984932
Banned
Received 18,021 Likes on 9,230 Posts

You get what you pay for. Looks are not what keeps you protected and comfortable.
Gringo is only DOT rated. S version with shield will fog up because no air flow. There are much better choices.
Check Revzilla
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ringo-s-helmet

I recently bought Shoei full face. It is DOT, ECE, SNELL 2015 approved. Well worth the extra $. Shoei last forever. Got a 10% discount at my local store. $360
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-helmet-solid

But it’s your head. And money.

Last edited by user 7172984932; 11-11-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:22 AM
TnFatboy
Road Master
Received 434 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72
You get what you pay for. Looks are not what keeps you protected and comfortable.
Gringo is only DOT rated. S version with shield will fog up because no air flow. There are much better choices.
Check Revzilla
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...ringo-s-helmet

I recently bought Shoei full face. It is DOT, ECE, SNELL 2015 approved. Well worth the extra $. Shoei last forever. Got a 10% discount at my local store. $360
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...r-helmet-solid

But it’s your head. And money.
Thats exactly why I’m here asking, if it was only about looks or price I would’ve already bought they gringo. I appreciate the input as the only shops around my neck of the woods are a Moco and a couple little chopper wannabe stores with not so great helmet selections.
The Shoei looks like a nice helmet. I use a half helmet and field of vision was one of my concerns with going full face. How is the Shoei in that respect, is your vision restricted much ?

Old 11-12-2018, 12:39 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TnFatboy
How is the Shoei in that respect, is your vision restricted much ?
I have a Shoei GT Air. It's an awesome helmet, has great venting, internal sun visor and Pinlock Anti-fog. I used to wear it all the time and know that I should still. Dealing with the heat and humidity here in Texas is brutal. In the summer I wear a HD Lucid Ultra Light most of the time. As the weather changes I go back to the Shoei.

I noticed putting the Shoei back on a few weeks ago visibility is diminished. Especially when looking back over each shoulder changes lanes. It's not that big of deal for me as I only have to crane my neck a little further. The extra protection is worth the effort. You can't go wrong with Shoei or Aria. The shape of my head is just better suited for the Shoei.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,213 Likes on 2,887 Posts

I've had my Gringo for a couple of years now and love it. My only regret is that I bought it just before the Gringo S came out or I would have bought that for the flip visor. Other than that I don't see me giving up the Gringo any time soon.

As far as fogging up, it's a retro style helmet. Back in the day all helmet visors fogged up do to limited air flow. Use anti-fog or crack the visor open a hair now and then.

Last edited by Hey Man; 11-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:23 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 478 Likes on 291 Posts

I just rode with my Gringo yesterday, very comfortable helmet. I usually use a half helmet and I do notice the loss of some vision to the side. I use a bubble shield on it and don't have too much trouble with fogging

The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 07:34 AM
SimonR
Tourer
Received 165 Likes on 58 Posts

You might want to look at the Bell Bullitt .. it does seem to have a wide area of view from what I remember

Old 11-12-2018, 08:56 AM
upStomp
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

I ended up getting a Torc T1. Similar retro styling, pretty inexpensive, and DOT and ECE certified. It also has plenty of ventilation and visor options. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's tough to put eye-wear on, as there are no channels in the padding.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts

I have a Gringo S with a bubble shield on it. I like it a lot.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

I love my Biltwell helmets. In summer I run the Gringo S without visor. No fins or holes make it a quiet helmet. Ive owned Shoei and Arais.

Quick Reply: Gringo S FF helmet