General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey Sh*thead!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007 | 05:33 AM
Jason H.
Cruiser
Default RE: Hey Sh*thead!

I understand the thrill of going 100+. I have done it in just about every car I have owned and loved every second of it... But on a motorcycle it's very different. I know the big debate between spot bikes & cruisers but I know for one on my cruiser, I will almost never go over 80. There is just no reason! Even at 80mph I am a little nervous; a single rock, pothole, piece of debris, etc. in the road can kill me at those speeds.

So when I see a sport bike go by me doing at least 130-140 what is my first thought? Well, actually it's one of two - "My brother (paramedic) will probably be scraping you up later." & "I'll hear about you on the news." Cool, sure. Stupid, sure. Slow it down guys and you'll live a lot longer.

Oh, and the law rarely bothers. I don't know any cruiser that can catch a crotch rocket when they are full out. Usually they don't even try from what I have seen. One way to look at it - do you ever see an old sport bike rider? If they are lucky enough they survive long enough to get a cruiser. I hate to see any biker go down but that is the fate that waits for a lot of these riders.

Old 07-03-2007 | 05:55 AM
Kolni
Banned

Just checking in to make sure this wasn't directed at moi.

Kolni.

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:21 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Jason H.

So when I see a sport bike go by me doing at least 130-140 what is my first thought? Well, actually it's one of two - "My brother (paramedic) will probably be scraping you up later." & "I'll hear about you on the news." Cool, sure. Stupid, sure. Slow it down guys and you'll live a lot longer.
And here's one more observation. Regardless of wether a dumb rider is on a Harley or a sportbike, the cagers that they **** off have a habit or writing letters to their elected representatives about "these dangerous motorcycles." That means more laws coming down on us authored by politicians who know squat about bikes, but know how to satistfy the constituents that keep them in office. We all believe that the risks we take riding are our individual responsability. Unfortunately, it never involves just us. Everybody on the road is in the picture.

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:52 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Jason H.

Oh, and the law rarely bothers. I don't know any cruiser that can catch a crotch rocket when they are full out. Usually they don't even try from what I have seen. One way to look at it - do you ever see an old sport bike rider? If they are lucky enough they survive long enough to get a cruiser. I hate to see any biker go down but that is the fate that waits for a lot of these riders.
As a matter of fact, the HR Director at my employer is 63 and rides a Suzuki FZ-1, but then again he doesn't do wheelies or ride like a sh!thead either. Whether its drunk Harley riders, Ricers, Road Sofa drivers (yes drivers not riders ) or anyone else acting like a jerk on 2 wheels, we all at some level take the hit for it just because we ride (mostly) within the law and don't act like morons.

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:55 AM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Trailfndr

Worst place I have seen these bozo's with a death wish is the Dragon. Theyt pass in blind curves in no passing zones, doing very high rates of speed. I was on the Dragon Sunday, in a cage with my family, and had at least 15 rice rockets fly by, and I was doing the speed limit.

No matter that they have the power to do so, but how about respecting the LAW?? and letting others enjoy thier ride too??
Saw one Ultra with passenger nearly go down trying to get out of these idiots way. Its uneccessary, its stupid, and I hope every last one of them get pulled over by the Law and taken to task for thier actions. Maybe it'll save a few lives..

That still is not as bad as Cruiser and Harley riders
riding from bar to bar thinking their cool! The worst
part is they all say (I can handle it everyone does it)

That is famous last words by all drunk rider/drivers
just before they kill someones loved ones or themselves!

I'll take the Crotch Rockets riding fast on the roads
stone sober and paying attention to where their
riding even if it is to fast for average people to deal
with!

Around my area I see 50 Harleys/Cruisers doing
stupid $H!T on the road to every 1 Crotch Rocket
doing stupid $H!T on the road.

I relize every area is different and have lived in
areas where the ratio was higher and lower, but
in all cases the Harleys/Cruisers are always the
higher number of stupid riding over the Crotch
Rockets.

The problem is most Harley riders don't look at
riding motorcycles drunk as a problem. Most
Harley/Cruiser riders don't look at blasting their
loud pipes at the wee hours of the morning waking
non riding people up a problem. Most Harley/Cruiser
riders don't look at blasting their loud pipes in
the afternoon waking up babiesfrom their naps a
problem.

Most Harley/Cruiser riders are so busy looking at
what Crotch Rocket riders are doing they never take
a look in the mirror to see how stupid and ignorant
they are acting themselves! [:'(]

No group of riders is perfect, but one thing that is
totally wrong with motorcycles and their riders today
vs the 60's and 70's is" Back then ALL riders stuck
together, they were ALL brothers and sisters no matter
what each other rode or how they rode. There was a
RESPECT betweenALL Bikers/Motorcyclests,there
was non of this wrothless finger pointing (Them against Us)
mentality!

Riders need to wake up and relize there is NO"
(Them and Us)there is only WE Brothers and
Sisters that love motorcycles!

Old 07-03-2007 | 06:59 AM
Tom Ricci
|
Tourer

A good friend of mine from the gym admits to going over 180 mph on his Hyabusa but only under the best possible conditions (2 mile long straight stretch of road, early in the a.m. clear & dry road surface but even he admits that at that speed, anything goes wrong and he's just a stain on the road.
This guy is in his 50's so he's not some showoff punk in spite of what he does, he uses some discretion. Good friend in work has an R6 (still not sure what that is) but he's prone to pulling some stunts from time to time and for that reason I won't ride with him. In 35+ years of riding I've seen too many good friends go down, most by someone else's fault. I sure as heck don't want to see anyone hurt or worse by doing something totally stupid.

Old 07-03-2007 | 07:16 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

i agree being we are on the subject. the crotch rockets are making it bad for all of us . and the riders think that they got to drink a six pack before they ride is even makeing it worse.around here booze is promoted like no tommow . i dont understand it i have been to a few events that there was no booze and everybody had a great time .i may be getting old but you dont need all this booze you look pretty stupid when you go out and fall off your bike just putting the kick stand up.and now for the other pulling 60 m.p.h. wheeling in traffic is about as stupid as you can get. you makes all look bad or going in and out of traffic come on. i know if you are in a hurry to kill yourself that is your right. but it goes beyond that each motorcycle rider out there get to catch crap .

Old 07-03-2007 | 02:31 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master

Worst place I have seen these bozo's with a death wish is the Dragon. Theyt pass in blind curves in no passing zones, doing very high rates of speed. I was on the Dragon Sunday, in a cage with my family, and had at least 15 rice rockets fly by, and I was doing the speed limit.

No matter that they have the power to do so, but how about respecting the LAW?? and letting others enjoy thier ride too??
Saw one Ultra with passenger nearly go down trying to get out of these idiots way. Its uneccessary, its stupid, and I hope every last one of them get pulled over by the Law and taken to task for thier actions. Maybe it'll save a few lives..
uh yeah, great, thanks for taking your CAR to the dragon and going the speed limit, and then being SURPRISED and upset that you were getting passed because everyone doesent "respect" the law as much as you do.

really thanks alot, thats very very helpful. youre doing a fine job of policing up them lawless motorcyclists for us. now heres your jr. f.b.i. pin and your decoder ring. thanks again. yall come back now, y'hear?

Old 07-03-2007 | 02:37 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member

Its just a fact, that some of the guys who buy these high powered bikes, like to act that way. Sooner or later, they will make a wrong move and there will be one less of them on the road.

Old 07-03-2007 | 02:42 PM
silver1
Tourer

ORIGINAL: 211Chuck

That still is not as bad as Cruiser and Harley riders
riding from bar to bar thinking their cool! The worst
part is they all say (I can handle it everyone does it)

That is famous last words by all drunk rider/drivers
just before they kill someones loved ones or themselves!

I'll take the Crotch Rockets riding fast on the roads
stone sober and paying attention to where their
riding even if it is to fast for average people to deal
with!

Around my area I see 50 Harleys/Cruisers doing
stupid $H!T on the road to every 1 Crotch Rocket
doing stupid $H!T on the road.

I relize every area is different and have lived in
areas where the ratio was higher and lower, but
in all cases the Harleys/Cruisers are always the
higher number of stupid riding over the Crotch
Rockets.

The problem is most Harley riders don't look at
riding motorcycles drunk as a problem. Most
Harley/Cruiser riders don't look at blasting their
loud pipes at the wee hours of the morning waking
non riding people up a problem. Most Harley/Cruiser
riders don't look at blasting their loud pipes in
the afternoon waking up babiesfrom their naps a
problem.

Most Harley/Cruiser riders are so busy looking at
what Crotch Rocket riders are doing they never take
a look in the mirror to see how stupid and ignorant
they are acting themselves! [:'(]

No group of riders is perfect, but one thing that is
totally wrong with motorcycles and their riders today
vs the 60's and 70's is" Back then ALL riders stuck
together, they were ALL brothers and sisters no matter
what each other rode or how they rode. There was a
RESPECT betweenALL Bikers/Motorcyclests,there
was non of this wrothless finger pointing (Them against Us)
mentality!

Riders need to wake up and relize there is NO"
(Them and Us)there is only WE Brothers and
Sisters that love motorcycles!

You need to speak up and tell us how you feel...

Quick Reply: Hey Sh*thead!