General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 06:21 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Odd problem

My bike is very slowly leaking gas. The fuel pump top plate is leaking and I am wondering if the gasket may be bad? 2012 Heritage. I tightened the fasteners about a half turn and that may fix it but has anyone had to replace that gasket? Seems very strange to me.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:34 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

What is fuel pump top plate? Are talking about the tank access panel? If so, very easy to replace the gasket. Use new bolts, they one time use only per the FSM.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM
Passing Lane
Tourer

Tank access panel is a much better description. Thanks

Old 10-30-2018, 07:28 AM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you determine that it was the tank access panel that was leaking? If I understand what you are saying correct it is the panel on the top of the tank. Was it sloshing out or did you just smell gas all the time? Also have you done any service to the fuel pump to give it a reason to "leak or seep"? I have a 2005 softail with after market tank that "reeks" of gas but can't find a leak (got it just before storage so haven't ridden it yet) Thanks for the replies and knowledge.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:15 AM
Passing Lane
Tourer

I doubt that I will ride anymore this year so mine is full of gas and added Seafoam. I noticed a very light smell of gas a few times so I got to looking and after taking the tank bib off it was clearly leaking around the access panel. No idea how long it has leaked put it had a very small stream of gas on the tank. Doesn't seem to be leaking after I tightened the fasteners but the paint now looks like it has a run it. The tank bib will cover the blemish just hope it doesn't blister and peel. Never had my access panel off but you should check yours to see if it is tight.
One of the issues with Ethanol gas is that the ethanol destroys rubber but seems like MOCO would have a gasket that would hold up since ethanol is nothing new and apparently this is not a common problem. Plan to go by my Indy later today and get his opinion.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:07 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,314 Posts

I just replaced that gasket in my EVO roadking. Don't know what yours has, but my gasket is made out of cork. The screws are supposed to be used once and thrown away but I reused mine anyway, no leaks. The important thing about the gasket replacement is to make sure the old one is completely cleaned off. Then when reinstalling, make sure you torque the screws down in the right sequence to the correct setting. Mine was in in/lb and I think I had to torque them up in 2 stages. There is a sequence to torque them down in the service manual.

carl

Old 10-30-2018, 03:06 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

My access panel leaked so I replaced the gasket with a drag specialties gasket...it leaked and blistered the paint and drag admitted they had a bad run of gaskets. I installed a new Harley gasket and the problem is solved. I will only use Harley gaskets now.

The following users liked this post:
Passing Lane (10-30-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 06:08 AM
lonesum
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 325 Likes on 217 Posts

I replaced my fuel pump 2 yrs ago on my '09 used old gasket and screws, no leaks or smells.

Old 10-31-2018, 02:24 PM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by lonesum
I replaced my fuel pump 2 yrs ago on my '09 used old gasket and screws, no leaks or smells.
That gasket is now 10 years old. It most likely will start to dry rot and crack, letting the fuel by the plate. Keep your eye on it !!!

Old 11-01-2018, 06:56 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Just buy and change the gasket ..... no biggie

Quick Reply: Odd problem