General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding when it is Windy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 03:51 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckKnuckle

I think part of it might have been the bike. An Ultra Limited with all the fairing parts can be somewhat of a sail in the wind.
I honestly don't notice the wind near as bad on my Ultra Limited as I did on my 1200C Sportster. I think it had to do with the 21" skinny tire on the front and not as much weight. I almost got blown clear off the road a few times on it.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:43 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Yup, as said in numerous posts above, try to relax on your grip of the bars. Best thing to do is to reduce speed. This will help you relax on the bars. A tense rider is not enjoying his/her ride. Gusty winds are the worst. Be leary of large vehicle either blocking or carrying wind blasts. Also, around mountain sides or valleys that channel winds. Pay attention to roadside weeds and or debris. They can tell you which way and how hard the wind may be moving.

Oddly, since most of us are riding a "single track" vehicle, when a "cross wind" is encountered, the bottom half of the motorcycle is literally "blown" towards the side away from the wind energy. The top half leans towards the wind energy as the bottom half moves away from the wind energy. This "unintended lean" is very disconcerting to riders, especially if on a straight trajectory. This is the source of fear. Again, the easiest thing to do in high side winds, or gusty winds is to simply SLOW DOWN.
My understanding:
The bottom of the motorcycle is not blown sideways unless your tires are slipping sideways. If that were the case, the bottom of the bike would move more as you leaned into the wind, as the weight on the tires lightened with the lengthening of the moment arm from the center of gravity to the contact patches of the tires, and the bike would tip over. In the lean, the crosswind helps support the weight of the bike, keeping it from tipping, so there's less weight on the tires.

The crosswind acts on the whole bike, but is offset by traction at the tires, resulting in the rest of the bike being blown toward a lean away from the wind. The rider leans the bike into the crosswind to move the center of gravity down and upwind, to balance the force of the crosswind.

I agree on slowing down. And just work your way gradually to stronger winds, if and as your comfort level allows. Then you can enjoy the riding.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Hey all, OP here.

Just want to thank all for the positive feedback, great advice and good information that was included in all the reponses. This is a great group!

I would like to take GROUPW's advice (post #7) but unfortunately I can't hold up a bike that size

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-31-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 07:58 AM
rleedeuce
Road Captain
Received 116 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Options in the wind

I raked my frame neck with three degree cups for more trail, more stability and more resistance to being blown around.
I do NOT run a big trunk or a huge windshield---I use the least sideways "sail area" possible to minimize the wind.
I keep any optional weight as low as possible.
My handlebars are narrow to minimize how twitchy the front end feels.
I stay away from riding in the lee of big trucks by moving to the far side of my lane.
This cuts down the "shock" of being hit when you come out from behind the shielding effect these monsters provide.
If I have a choice I slow down or simply stay put and enjoy a good walk some place, ha ha.
So my opinion is that you CAN do a lot to help set up your bike for stability.
And you can drive it carefully knowing how it will act in the wind.
But at the end of the day there is nothing more important than staying within your "window" of comfort and safety when out on your bike.
These two wheeled motor bicycles after all are not as safe in bad wind as a low slung wide track sports car.
And there are days when they shut down the Bay Bridge because trucks keep getting blown over the side rail.
Be safe.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:28 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Always windy any time I ride. Usually around a 70 mph sustained wind with gusts up over 90.