General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding when it is Windy

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 AM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

See 38:20 of this video

Old 10-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

To OP: I bought a new 2017 XL1200T at the age of 65 to get back into riding after a 40 year break. Put 5000+ miles on this smaller, lighter bike, mostly this past summer (2018) in 1.5 years. Like you, I was nervous, tense about wind, passing semi trucks, etc. Took a 1600 mile trip (almost all Interstates at speed limits) over 6 days in July that really boosted my confidence. First day: 320 miles; longest day: 450 miles. The last day (300 miles) was in wind 20-35 mph with rain for the first half. The entire trip gave me a tremendous boost in confidence. For the remainder of the summer, I had no fear or serious tension in my rides, even in wind. Just traded in my Sportster for a new 2018 FLHCS (Softail Heritage Classic 114). The heavier, more powerful bike has boosted my confidence even further. Ride more, even in the wind, even on highways and you will overcome your tension, fatigue and boost your confidence. Seat time is the key, at least for me. Loving the Heritage.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

Yeah, relax. Relax your shoulders and elbows.
Relax your legs and be ready for quick adjustments.

But do not relax your grip on the bars. Hang on tight.

Most of all, when you see high profile vehicles blown over, find a place to stop.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,185 Likes on 7,677 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I'm not feeling like I'm going to be blown over. .

Fucusing...yes I can agree and try to do so, but still I find it difficult to hold my line.
Use the counter steering method to keep your line in the wind. Push on the right handlebar to go right and push on the left handlebar to go left. Leaning or shifting your weight from one side to the other will help adjust for a steady wind; however for those short gusts counter steering will help keep your line. Practice counter steering while out on a straight road with no traffic, the see how much pressure on the push will move your bike from one side of the lane to the other; does not take much. Then practice going back and forth in the lane. Once you get the hang of it it will become automatic when the wind hits you. Additionally, counter steering will help you if you ever have to make an avoidance maneuver for something in the roadway (pothole, etc.).

Old 10-28-2018, 09:00 AM
bigal51
Road Captain
Received 582 Likes on 244 Posts
Angry

I-10 going over Mobile Bay. Be ready for it, it WILL blow you sideways and pucker your a$$hole.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Sportster
I bought a new 2017 XL1200T at the age of 65 to get back into riding after a 40 year break.
I'm 76 and had not ridden for over 40 years also. Bought to my Cherry just before Biketoberfest '17. Then had back problems and could not ride for 4 months. After surgery last February got back in the seat the second week of March...about 5k since.

Yep, I need more seat time and lots more practice. Can see where a few longer trips might help in that regard.

Most of my riding is "fair weather" riding just for the pleasure of riding. So when its windy, I'm not used to it. I have no real problem riding in the wind and it is not making me feel scared or nervous. Just seem to get pushed all over and that is slightly uncomfortable. Was looking for tips or tricks to maintain a better line. Seems like the use of "proper counter steering" is key and not to tense up (keep relaxed). I do counter steer and can correct my line but I guess I just need more practice holding it steady.

The following users liked this post:
mctraveler (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:21 AM
RK_Classic
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,100 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Me and a buddy went out for a ride early spring and the was blowing around 20 plus mph, running down some 2 lane country roads in Va and we would get some strong gusty cross winds that felt like there were going to blow us over into the ditch. As most have said stay focused and relaxed, if your on country roads with no on coming traffic try to stay close to the center line so your able to make corrections if need be.

rk classic.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:33 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,135 Likes on 12,203 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Fucusing...yes I can agree and try to do so, but still I find it difficult to hold my line.
Don't think of it as holding your line as much as holding your space. Riding in the wind is like dancing - except you're not leading this time. Within the confines of your space - you just move with it - don't fight it.

On windy rides I'm all over my space. But I never leave it no matter how bad the wind.

SWFLGuy (09-19-2019)
Old 10-28-2018, 10:46 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,750 Likes on 3,110 Posts

Yup, as said in numerous posts above, try to relax on your grip of the bars. Best thing to do is to reduce speed. This will help you relax on the bars. A tense rider is not enjoying his/her ride. Gusty winds are the worst. Be leary of large vehicle either blocking or carrying wind blasts. Also, around mountain sides or valleys that channel winds. Pay attention to roadside weeds and or debris. They can tell you which way and how hard the wind may be moving.

Oddly, since most of us are riding a "single track" vehicle, when a "cross wind" is encountered, the bottom half of the motorcycle is literally "blown" towards the side away from the wind energy. The top half leans towards the wind energy as the bottom half moves away from the wind energy. This "unintended lean" is very disconcerting to riders, especially if on a straight trajectory. This is the source of fear. Again, the easiest thing to do in high side winds, or gusty winds is to simply SLOW DOWN.

mctraveler (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 12:42 PM
dustinn3
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Here in Kansas if it ain't windy your not outside. Always feels like you're riding in a wind tunnel. As others have said, just relax and don't try and fight it too much. I take extra caution when approaching semi's and move to the right side of the lane when it's bad. I also stay off the highway pegs when it's gusting from the sides.

Quick Reply: Riding when it is Windy