General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new 2019 Bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018 | 12:53 PM
dDavid
Tourer

Originally Posted by moharley2000
I'm thinking about getting the 114 in the street glide or road glide. Not sure which one to go with.
1. Decide exactly what you want. Do NOT talk price, payments, tradein until you know.
2. Find out THEIR cost before talking to them.
3. Lay it out. Tell them “ I know it cost you this, I added $1000. I think that’s fair.
4. Tell the same thing to another dealer, or two, or three.
5. Explore savings of buying out of state. I’ve heard some people have saved quite a bit on the more expensive bikes.

6. If you’re financing. Know your credit score beforehand, and visit your own bank to at least know the current price of borrowing money.
7. If you’re trading in a bike. Know what it’s worth, and how likely you are to sell it yourself. Is it worth the cash hit to let the dealer deal with it for you?

Old 10-23-2018 | 01:42 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Calculate the price of a new compensator, clutch, oil pump, ABS valves, and the labor to replace them.
That's how much.

Old 10-23-2018 | 01:43 PM
MiniWolf

Only thing certain is that you have a much much higher chance of scoring a very nice deal on remaining 2018 stock.

Old 10-23-2018 | 11:11 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

Wait.... Till...... January!!! That's 90 day's!
You will save a bundle and they will be begging you to take the thing.

Old 10-24-2018 | 04:49 AM
Dsm Limited
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by dDavid

1. Decide exactly what you want. Do NOT talk price, payments, tradein until you know.
2. Find out THEIR cost before talking to them.
3. Lay it out. Tell them “ I know it cost you this, I added $1000. I think that’s fair.
4. Tell the same thing to another dealer, or two, or three.
5. Explore savings of buying out of state. I’ve heard some people have saved quite a bit on the more expensive bikes.

6. If you’re financing. Know your credit score beforehand, and visit your own bank to at least know the current price of borrowing money.
7. If you’re trading in a bike. Know what it’s worth, and how likely you are to sell it yourself. Is it worth the cash hit to let the dealer deal with it for you?

I'd laugh you out of my dealership with the bolded line.
You expect a business to sell at a less than 5% gross profit margin. They still have to pay rent/mortgage, taxes, insurance, salesman, utilities and all the other expenses.

I'm no mathematical wizard, but I'm pretty sure i'd be broke before the end of the year.

The following 3 users liked this post by Dsm Limited:
BTLorys (10-25-2018), Guthrie52 (11-04-2018), rigidthumper (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018 | 05:55 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member

Not to induce thread drift but also to be considered in accessories and labor for installation. These items have more margin for the stealership and can be negotiated into the deal.

Old 10-25-2018 | 07:46 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
I'd laugh you out of my dealership with the bolded line.
You expect a business to sell at a less than 5% gross profit margin. They still have to pay rent/mortgage, taxes, insurance, salesman, utilities and all the other expenses.

I'm no mathematical wizard, but I'm pretty sure i'd be broke before the end of the year.

No one is saying you have to sell every bike at that kind of profit. If you hit a few home runs from people who pay MSRP (or close to it) plus the B/S Dealer Fee, your store would be in a position to sell a bike at a low profit now & then. If you do sell a bike at a low price, you'll now have the opportunity to make some more money on the F/I and accessories.

The aggressive dealers I know are trying to maintain an average profit. This puts them in position to take the low profit deal now and then. Once again, not every deal. So if they have a slow moving bike sitting on the floor for 90 days, they sell it. If they get a customer who makes a low offer on a slow moving color, they take the deal & replace it with a fast selling color. If they have a fast selling model in a popular color, they hold out for a high profit.

Those aggressive dealerships may not sell every customer, but they never "laugh you out of my dealership......" Sometimes after shopping around, the customer may realize his offer is too low, but the chances of that customer returning to a store that "laughed him/her out of the dealership", is pretty low.

Old 10-25-2018 | 08:23 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy

MSRP isn't a home run- selling CVOs for MSRP+ is closer. Remember, there's a lot of mouths to feed. All the support staff are non-producers, so their wages are a cut off the top. Average net after expenses is less than 8%, and the dealer has to support their unearning partner (Federal, State, and Local taxes) after the fact.
The sad reality is lots of dealers could net a better return on their investment if they just put their $ into the stock market, but it is a fun way to keep busy.

Old 10-25-2018 | 09:52 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm thinking about getting the 114 in the street glide or road glide.
.......... get the Road Glide.

Old 10-25-2018 | 01:46 PM
ncotter100
Novice

How much can I expect dealers to take off the MSRP on a 2019 Bike?
Just got my brand new '19 Street Glide Special from West K. @ Seminole HD in Sanford Fl for $x,000s off List & I flew in & picked it up last week - 407.328.1212

Quick Reply: Buying new 2019 Bike