General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Creek Leather - Summer Riding Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:45 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Fox Creek Leather - Summer Riding Jacket

I ordered one of these and was surprised how heavy it is. Excellent workmanship and quality, and the fit was right on. I just wasn't expecting it to be so heavy. The leather is pretty thick for a summer jacket. They offered to make it in 0.9mm leather, the same stuff they use for some of their vests. The leather the jacket is made from is 1.1 - 1.2mm.

Still on the fence if I want to commit, since it will be a custom jacket at that point and I would not be able to return it. Anyone else have one of these?

Old 10-17-2018, 05:19 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 668 Likes on 386 Posts

You cannot go wrong with a Fox Creek jacket, I have a few and very highly recommend them.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM
on3wego
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have a link?

I've had nothing but good experience with Fox Creek. Worst case scenario you have an awesome quality product, even if you don't wear it as much as expected.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:46 AM
rick601
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,452 Likes on 1,724 Posts

I have had their pants and racing jacket for ten years- great product and great company BUT it IS heavy...IIRC mine is like 2mm leather Maybe you could ask for a scrap sample of the leather and see if it is OK for your needs- compare it with other jackets

Old 10-17-2018, 08:55 AM
Dwebber18
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Great company and products. When I was shopping I looked at them and Hillside and ended up going with Hillside Leather for the price but the products seem comparable. You won't be disappointed with the high quality and the tangible feel of safety it provides. Mine is also horsehide which is, theoretically, lighter than cow but it's still real heavy especially after adding armor.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

OP isn't specific about which jacket but I have one of their jackets,chaps and gloves that are awesome as well as a pair of Chippewa engineer boots. First class place to do business with.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:21 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,159 Likes on 12,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Star
I ordered one of these and was surprised how heavy it is. Excellent workmanship and quality, and the fit was right on. I just wasn't expecting it to be so heavy. The leather is pretty thick for a summer jacket. They offered to make it in 0.9mm leather, the same stuff they use for some of their vests. The leather the jacket is made from is 1.1 - 1.2mm.

Still on the fence if I want to commit, since it will be a custom jacket at that point and I would not be able to return it. Anyone else have one of these?
Yes, I have the summer riding jacket. It was purchased on sale for way less than I would have expected (I don't recall exactly how much). You are correct that the "summer" leather is heavier than some manufacturer's regular leather. I honestly wouldn't even consider it a summer jacket as I use a mesh for summer. The arm vents and back vents do work very well, but if you're behind a batwing, like I often am, the vents don't get a ton of air flow. On my open bikes they flow extremely well.

In colder weather, like it has been lately, the jacket works well. However, the zipper overlap isn't super effective at keeping cold air out, probably by design. It's not like an open vent, but if you are on an open bike with 30 degree air rushing at you, you're going to feel it.
Also, the collar is pretty short and hard to close. I don't have a thick neck and with the snap closed it chokes me a bit, so I leave it open.

In the end, I use it as a Fall/Spring jacket. If it gets warm I open vents. If it gets cold I toss on a fleece under it or even a heated liner. I would rank it in my top 3 most used jackets. I would not recommend it as a summer jacket or a winter jacket, but in a pinch, it will work. But I'm kind of a jacket collector. I have 6 that I use. It's probably my second most versatile jacket. The first being my Belstaff 3/4 waxed cotton.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

They told me they can also build the Perforated Jacket, 8-10 weeks. That may be pretty nice. I remember they had that on their web site a few years back.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:08 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Anyone have the perforated jacket from Hillside?
do they make a lighter weight jacket?

Old 10-21-2018, 08:45 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,962 Likes on 1,160 Posts

I don't have the Hillside jacket but I have a perforated leather jacket and a couple vented leather jackets. They work well for Spring/Fall but do not make a good Summer jacket. Mesh is the best thing I've found for Summer riding. My next jacket will probably be one of the hybrid leather/mesh with the zip-off panels, they seem more practical.

The thing with leather is if it's thin enough for Summer then it's probably thin enough to lose most of the protection leather offers. JMO

I have been searching for the perfect riding jacket for 45 years or so, haven't found it yet. I have amassed a large collection of jackets over the years or in the old lady's words " never satisfied with what I have" lol.

Quick Reply: Fox Creek Leather - Summer Riding Jacket