General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Matrix
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

I just think that he doesn't want you to have a tourer that is nicer than his Golden Winger.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Actually Hubby is a Honda Guy...He really wants a Goldwing...that is our next rental. I might rent a street glide and take it on my normal ride to work and back...that will really tell me a lot about the difference in ride.

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Damn skippy Bluerose..the Street Glide is a GREAT bike...I love mine and it handles great at low speed even with the weight.

I don't think there will be big changes to the 08s except maybe on the throttle..but who really knows?

Be aware though they do run lean and hot so plan on at least a stage 1 and tuner if you go with the newer engine. I love mine though and I bet you would too.

ps: I'm thinking your hubby wants an ultra for himself

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I was looking at the street glide. I love my bike but want some of what the touring bikes have....the only good deal is the interest rate right now. I could just wait until october/november and get a better deal...or better yet evenFebruary after I get my Bonus. I was mostly looking at the interest rate and my dealer did have a $500 of acc. but I looked today and that seems to have passed.

In the meantime, I'm doing some research on softail air shocks andcommunications/sound systems. A slighly better ride and some tunes might be enough.
Don't forget to try a Road Glide. The Goldwing is a very nice bike but you just would not any of you (forum) friends to see you riding one.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It is easier to ask for forgivenness then it is to ask for permission.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I hope you get what you want but I would not be surprised if you rent a Street Glide and ride it long enough to get past the euphoria that you might decide that the ride is not that much different than your DeLuxe. I have been riding a Softail for so long that I am not a good judge but my son has an 05 Deluxe and he and I ride all over the western US on our softails and love it. I know you have back problems and so do I, but probably not as bad as you because my back seems to improve with motorcycle riding. I think it is leaving all the stress behind which gets rid of the muscle tenseness in my lower back. My L5, S1 discs are shot.

PS. I had an Ultra Classic before this softail and I prefer the softail. The Ultra is great but I guess I am just not a fairing guy. When I was riding it, I kept thinking that it was too much like a Gold Wing. Nothing against the Gold Wing, just not my cup of tea. I have met some really fine people on Gold Wings in my travels.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do (but I would wait on the 08s (Not because they will be better but because you will have a new bike for a year rather than for about a month or two with an 07).

Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Spacewolf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kolni

It is easier to ask for forgivenness then it is to ask for permission.

My wife has bought 3 cars this way. 2 of them when I was working out of town, and one she got me to sign for after the night of my 30th birthday. Very crafty.
I got her back, tho. I took her bike and traded it on my new one and left her bikeless.
Then she just went and bought a new bike, which sort of got me back.

Seems I can't win....

Old 07-02-2007, 08:21 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

Wait another month and see if the urge to buy is still there by then th 08 will be out. There can't be that much difference in price between a RG and UC.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

he dont want the woman of the household be the one ridin a mans bike

Old 07-02-2007, 09:17 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BLUEROSE,go to your dealer and tell them what your thinking.see if they will let you take a strretglide out on a test ride first.they do handle differently than your deluxe.i went from a heritage to a streetglide and didn't test drive it,i think if i did i would've upgraded my heritage with a radio and a engine upgrade.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Baalz
Advanced

I agree with some of these guys.
You should go do some test rides before you even begin to make that decision. There is a big difference between a softails ride and a touring bike's ride.
With your Deluxe you sit in that bike, with a Touring bike you're gonna be sitting on it. Going from your counterbalanced motor you're gonna notice the vibrations that those rubber mounted motors produce.
Personally I have a hard time riding my wife's lowrider after riding my Heritage.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Just go get what you really want before you blow any more money on something that isn't quite it.

Personally, I love my wide glide, but I would also love to have an ultra in the garage next too it for long trips. Just can't justify the cost right now though.

Quick Reply: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...