General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Bluerose
Default Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Hubby just doesn't want me to do it....I can't seem to convince him it would actually be cheaper then upgrading my bike. Even after the hit I would take for selling it.

Sooo....now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get music, add air shocks, an engine upgrade, and a new seat.

Men have such hard heads sometimes.

I have to admit I love the look of my bike but to be practical the touring bike would have been the better deal.

Can anyone tell me how much a 103" kit is installed? The kit from Harley is like 3k. Hubby says if I'm going to upgrade I might as well got to 103" instead of 95".

Old 07-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

disobedience...a wonderful way of life

Old 07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Hubby just doesn't want me to do it....I can't seem to convince him it would actually be cheaper then upgrading my bike. Even after the hit I would take for selling it.

Sooo....now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get music, add air shocks, an engine upgrade, and a new seat.

I have to admit I love the look of my bike but to be practical the touring bike would have been the better deal.

Can anyone tell me how much a 103" kit is installed? The kit from Harley is like 3k. Hubby says if I'm going to upgrade I might as well got to 103" instead of 95".
At least he's thinking straight with that! [&:]If music is your thing, stick a earbud in your ear and listen to an mp3 player. Air shocks? Progressive, maybe? As far as the seat, there's Mustang, Corbin, etc..but you already knew that.

I think the ol' man is planning something up here. He's going to get you to fix up the Deluxe real nice, then say "You know hun, I think you need to go ahead and get that touring bike you were wanting" and he's gonna sell that Honda and take the Deluxe. Smart man, he is.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:28 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cross your legs for a week or two,,,,it works for my OL.....J/K

Old 07-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Bluerose

You guys are funny...

Actually, I have about $4500 in upgrades I want to do (that includes a 95" upgrade not the 103") which doesn't include what he spends on his bike. I'm canceling my extended service plan because it won't cover the bike after the engine upgrade so that will be a bit of a return.

I figured with my current dealer's incentives (low interest rate, $500 of free accessories) I'd break about even on the trade. I want to do about a $500 upgrade on the radio and add criuse control, I'd already have the engine upgrade an better shocks. The seat...well nothing i can do there. I have some transferable parts (like I could still use my tour pack), I think.

I don't want an ultra because it is simply too much bike...I'd end up striping the thing down and have a garage full of parts. Plus the cost of the tour pak detach kit.

The Deluxe isa good bikebut I actually bottomed it out with my daughter on the back (she's 100 lbs wet) the other day. It could really use the shocks for that (I don't want to have to manually adjust all the time). I would definately miss the lowness of it....I park anywhere and can just back that sucker out of anything.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:05 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Go out shopping one day and just come home with the bike you want. It's your bike, why can't you have the last say on it? If I remember, he's a non Harley rider, right? You can always use that against him.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/C54EB2BAACF14BC59E78DEDAE067A886.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: tail11

Go out shopping one day and just come home with the bike you want. It's your bike, why can't you have the last say on it? If I remember, he's a non Harley rider, right? You can always use that against him.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/C54EB2BAACF14BC59E78DEDAE067A886.jpg[/IMG]
Hubby definately has a say in large purchases....I'm working on the cost difference right now...numbers usually speak better then "I want a new bike" [8D]

Old 07-01-2007, 04:21 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stay flat footed on whatever u do....

Old 07-01-2007, 04:23 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, Have you answered the age old question,, what do you want out of your riding experience and bike? Do you want an all around bke that can do many things, a barn burner, or something else?

You can upgrade to either a 95 or 103 using HD parts etc and not worry about your warranty. If you are looking to make the bike faster, torquey then I would suggest using aftermarket parts installed by a good non-HD builder. Lots of choices in that arena.

Personally, I like my Ipod for music. Blocks out a lot of the wind noise and good tunes. Downside is if I am riding with friends we cant talk at stop lights and such.

Plenty of shocks for your bike out there. Cruise control -- I have a friend who uses one of those throttle stops or whatever they call 'em. She sets it up to a certain position and cruises.

You have a nice ride that performed nicely on your trip last year don't forget that too! I would be careful about what you want to change.

But if all else fails, tease your hubby with some new tricks or old tricks pre - marriage.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:42 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of a man yet who didnt see a better deal than a woman hes prolly right on[sm=popcorn.gif]
ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Quick Reply: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...