General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

ORIGINAL: billnourse

My wife rode a Heritage for 4 years and tried everything to get what she wanted out of it. She had a I-pod for tunes, a tour pac and more.

When she finally got the Street Glide, she has not looked back. She has better handling, more comfort, less wind, tunes,and the Street Glide doesn't scape the pavement on every sharp turn like the Heritage did.

No matter what you do to the Softail it would be hard toget out of it what you would have with the Street Glide.

Bill

Hmmm....the Heritage scraping on every sharp turn? You must have some really sharp turns in your area or you guys really blast through them cause my current lean angle is less then a Heritage and I rarely scrape. I'm not sure I would go with the whole less wind statement either....one of the reasons I didn't do the Street Glide to begin with was the severe buffeting from the low windshield (I was still Harley/Motorcycle stupid then). Oh and the not sitting down into the bike.

My big dilemma is the communications music. I can add them to my bike but the cost is just stupid and they sprout off the handle bars. It was so depressing pricing out the sound connections (and if your going to go that far you might as well get the rest) for my husband's new Zumo I actually started looking for a Goldwing for him....

For the J & M system with the Zumo connection, CB, Weather channel, anntena, and headset it was like $1000 per bike. I just can't do it when I know within a year or two Hubby will change bikes to a touring model. We decided to go wired for sound quality and the fact that the Bluetooth stuff is just no there yet. I even looked at several alternatives like adding one of those radio speaker setups to the windshield and skipping the communications....that ran about $500 min for a decent setup and didn't include the radio....sheeesh.

I priced out several upgrades on the Street Glide and I would be paying aout $2500 in extras right off the bat without labor (about what I put into my Deluxe first thing). If I got an ultra I think it would be round $1500 because I want thetour pak setupdetachable and would need to get the lower shocks.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Bev, you might want to think hard about a sound system. They're kool but I had one on my last bike (R1150RT) and after the initial thrill of having it wore off, I never and I mean never played it again. To me as novel as it was, it disturbed the serenity that I enjoyed from riding. Perhaps the difference with me is I ride alone and don't have anyone else to communicate with or distract me as I enjoy the solitude.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: whaap

Bev, you might want to think hard about a sound system. They're kool but I had one on my last bike (R1150RT) and after the initial thrill of having it wore off, I never and I mean never played it again. To me as novel as it was, it disturbed the serenity that I enjoyed from riding. Perhaps the difference with me is I ride alone and don't have anyone else to communicate with or distract me as I enjoy the solitude.
I ride everyday now...While I don't listen to the radio in my car much I do like the noise on longer rides and having the traffic occationally would be nice...I got stuck ina massive backup the other day I might have been able to easily avoid. There is give and take for anything. It can also be nice in larger groups.

I do want to be able to communicate with Hubby sometimes getting someones attention to give hand signals is not always easy. There have been a few occasions where I needed to say "hey honey I need to stop for a minute/go potty/etc" or "Help my grip just let go" (the second one was pretty funny) and I just could not gethis attention. His pipes right now are really loud, not to mention he's a tad deaf, and even honking my horn does little. It's not like I'm riding with him and we can talk. Anything over 300 miles in a day can be a bit less fun without communicating. We are not big chatters it would just make it easier.

I hate the idea of putting a bunch of junk up on my handle bars....

Old 07-03-2007, 02:07 PM
The Vig
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a newbie, but I LOVE my road glide and the music set up is awsome! the CDs dont skip-the way it get louder with road noise is great, and the way the controls work is very logical and easy to get used to. Nothing better than puttin on a little Bob Seger "Roll me away" and hitting the road.
Also I would really suggest a Road Glide. It feels like the right balance between full touring and easy street riding for me. I have a goldwing alsoand it feels like a tank in traffic after I started riding the RG

Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bev,
Wait to see what 08 has to offer. Way too close to 08 release to do anything right now. Worst case scenerio is you will get a better deal on an 07 or be glad you waited on the 08's as there is lots of room for improvement with the 07's in both heat issues as well as tranny noise which may or may not prove to be harmful. Nothing to lose and lots to possibly gain by waiting a few weeks. Good luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: IRready

Bev,
Wait to see what 08 has to offer. Way too close to 08 release to do anything right now. Worst case scenerio is you will get a better deal on an 07 or be glad you waited on the 08's as there is lots of room for improvement with the 07's in both heat issues as well as tranny noise which may or may not prove to be harmful. Nothing to lose and lots to possibly gain by waiting a few weeks. Good luck.
Yeah...I'm waiting. Unfortuantely I might wait myself out of it. I want the discounts.

I just wish I could bring myself to buying the COMM systems...lol. $1000 is just too painful when all it really is, is a CB with an auxillery input. I just can't find anything reasonable.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Bluerose

It's been decided...

Hubby has been having troubles with getting a good percription in his glasses....he's also tired of carrying 20 pairs around and wants some decent sunglasses for the bike. We decided to get him lasik (if he is eligible, he has a very bad stigmatism) ....I had it 7 years ago and love my eyes....

Sooooo....there goes my down payment soI guess I'll wait. He's worth it

Guess I'll go get my custom plate

Old 07-04-2007, 02:08 AM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

stop teasing the lustful gluttonistic bagger lovers..

their rides actually suck donkey *****..

so what if the cvo version seems like it kicks all ***..they actually dont

they call softails sloptails because they dont know jack **** besides touch controling their radios
they just parrots...most of em anyhoo

you will offically be much happier in the long ride and short ride on your deluxe...serious

Old 07-04-2007, 05:21 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I ride 53 miles each way to work. I have ridden a FatBoy for 3 years, traded it up to an Ultra, and have even ridden the wifes Deluxe several times when the Ultra was in the shop.

I personally prefer the ultra..The Deluxe is a sweet ride for twistys and short rides, Anything over 200 miles ibecomes painful and very uncomfortable.

I rode 600 Miles last Saturday with my 15 year old daughter on the back. We had a fantastic ride and the communications (both CB and Intercom) were a blessing. Keeping music going makes the ride feel much shorter.

We both got off the bike down in Tennessee, and felt great. I then rode the Ultra on a 300 miler yesterday to the Dragon, and all of the Smoky Mt. National Park. What a fantastic ride. Heading back to Detroit on Saturday, and I know without thinking, that the ride will be smooth, troubl free, and comfortable for both of us.

True Cruise control is a MUST for long trips. I have problems with my right arm and wrist. After about 60 miles of constant speed, I hurt badly nad my wriest cramps on me. With the Ulta, that NEVER happens. Daughter and I rode Freeway nearly 500 of the 600 miles down here to visit Mom, I had Cruise set the entire way.

Bottom Line Bluerose...YOU have to be comfortable with whatever you ride. Wife loves her Deluxe, but nothing else will fit her short frame other than a sporty,, and niether of us like the Sporty. So she will stick with the Deluxe, and the Modifications I have already done,Although I will be searching for a good Cruise control for her.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Bluerose

Trailfndr -- I have heard a few people talk about this cruise control setup for the softails --> http://www.bradcroncruise.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...