General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

ORIGINAL: tail11
Go out shopping one day and just come home with the bike you want. It's your bike, why can't you have the last say on it?
Good advice. But I'd at least say up front, "I;m going to trade for bike I want."

Old 07-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride the Street Glide.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer had a fairing that they ordered for a customer's Heritage. It looked like it was from the factory. It had a nice stereo and speakers - but it was pricey. I believeit was $1600 in black. Painted to match the bike was going to beeven moreexpensive.

The one thing that gets me excited about the touring bikes is the true cruise control. Why don't they offer it on the Softails? There is an after market company that offers a kit to adapt the HD curise parts to a Softail but it ends up costing around $900 and adds a pretty ugly metal box to the side of the bike.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Decisions like that make you feel like a guard dog at a fire hydrant factory!I have an Ultra, the wife has a Deluxe.. so I have a good feel for both. Right now, I have a hard on for a Road King that I can costimize (new word there)! I love the Ultra for 2 up riding, and general cruising. 90% of the time, I wouldn't trade it for anything. BUT.. there are those times I would like a little more wind, and a little lighter bike to throw around. That's when I take her Deluxe out for a while.. but I prefer the ride of a touring bike. I rented a Street Glide for 4 days, and really liked the way it rode and handled.

Good luck with your decision. If you keep the Deluxe, and decide to do the 95"... call Head Quarters and look at their 98". It will give you more power for the same money. Do NOT get a HD "kit".. you WILL be disappointed. I did a 95" before I heard about HQ. I'm getting 99.6 torque and 96 HP... but it's not out of the HD"kit".

Old 07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I just got my Fat Boy in March and already want to up grade it to a touring bike!! I have put over 4000 on my Fatty in less than 3 months.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

It's a tough decision, but ride some and see what you think. Then it's sitting down and having a discussion about what you both need as riders--especially if your kids are expressing an interest. My wife and I don't take turns--it's all about what's the biggest need. Dunno if that helps or not. The problem is, you'll have all that money for upgrades into your bike and you know you'll never see a return on it whether you sell it or trade it in. You might want to look at what you're going to pay for upgrades and how much that money can be put towards owning a bike that already has all that.
Once those 08 models come out, you should be able to get a pretty good deal on an 07. But ride the other model, because it will definitely ride differently.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been going through the same process you are for about a year now (I even made an offer on one bike, but am now glad the owner didnt' take it). What I keep coming back to is, looking at it honestly, my current ride is about 90% of what I want a bike to be. So, if I'm going to be spending $7-10k over what I can get out of my bike to get a new touring bike (this doesn't include what I'm losing on my current bike. The bottom line to me is, is that 10% difference worth that amount of money, especially since, in all likelihood, I'll end up with a different 10% or so shortcoming in the new bike? So far, it hasn't made sense to me. I'll be looking at the '08s, and continue to look at other bikes as well, but until I ride something that just screams 'buy me!', I'll just keep the ride I have.

As to your hubby wanting a Goldwing, we all ride what we want to ride. If your riding friends would dis him or you because of his choice of ride, you're riding with the wrong people.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
atomic
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why you feel the need to upgrade the engine on your Deluxe but do youreally think an 07 Street Glide is going to be any faster than your stock Deluxe? I wouldn't do the engine upgrade. At 3000 dollars to make your bike less reliable. If you want to go faster there are plenty of bikes that will run circles around a Harley.

I think the Deluxe's seat is really comfortable. I don't know why people want to change it out. Ride a sport bike and you will appreciate the seat.

All that money you spent fixing up your Deluxe and now you want to sell it? I guess the Husband assumes once you buy the new bike you will spend a ton of money fixing that one the way you want it as well.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:38 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My wife rode a Heritage for 4 years and tried everything to get what she wanted out of it. She had a I-pod for tunes, a tour pac and more.

When she finally got the Street Glide, she has not looked back. She has better handling, more comfort, less wind, tunes,and the Street Glide doesn't scape the pavement on every sharp turn like the Heritage did.

No matter what you do to the Softail it would be hard toget out of it what you would have with the Street Glide.

Bill

Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 AM
PlanoRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

<snip>
You can upgrade to either a 95 or 103 using HD parts etc and not worry about your warranty. If you are looking to make the bike faster, torquey then I would suggest using aftermarket parts installed by a good non-HD builder. Lots of choices in that arena.

Personally, I like my Ipod for music. Blocks out a lot of the wind noise and good tunes. Downside is if I am riding with friends we cant talk at stop lights and such.

<snip>
The extended warrenty specifically states that upgrades to the enginewill void the warrenty -- Dealer says they will honor if it is done in the first 90 days. The standard warrenty is un affected. Thus I am canceling the extended warrenty (besides it will help pay for the upgrade...lol).

I don't want to wear earbuds (or a headset that goes in my ear) I hate cranking the music that loud and I prefer to be able to hear everything around me and talk to my hubby. Personally, I like the fairing mounted much better. I can get speakers for mine but the cost an outragious amount ($500 min)...I would happily hook up my IPOD and don't really need the radio by $500 and there is no communications or other devices with that???? That sucks. (maybe I'm just a miser) I bought hubbya zumo and it's gonna cost $200 or so just to get s crappy bluetooth setup to hear it...he has no bluetooth in his phone and the music drains the battery on the headset quickly.
There is a third option for sound. You can put inexpensive speakers in your helmet. I have them in mine and they work great. You still hear everything else and the music.

Quick Reply: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...