General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...

ORIGINAL: HTRAUD

<snip>
You can upgrade to either a 95 or 103 using HD parts etc and not worry about your warranty. If you are looking to make the bike faster, torquey then I would suggest using aftermarket parts installed by a good non-HD builder. Lots of choices in that arena.

Personally, I like my Ipod for music. Blocks out a lot of the wind noise and good tunes. Downside is if I am riding with friends we cant talk at stop lights and such.

<snip>
The extended warrenty specifically states that upgrades to the enginewill void the warrenty -- Dealer says they will honor if it is done in the first 90 days. The standard warrenty is un affected. Thus I am canceling the extended warrenty (besides it will help pay for the upgrade...lol).

I don't want to wear earbuds (or a headset that goes in my ear) I hate cranking the music that loud and I prefer to be able to hear everything around me and talk to my hubby. Personally, I like the fairing mounted much better. I can get speakers for mine but the cost an outragious amount ($500 min)...I would happily hook up my IPOD and don't really need the radio by $500 and there is no communications or other devices with that???? That sucks. (maybe I'm just a miser) I bought hubbya zumo and it's gonna cost $200 or so just to get s crappy bluetooth setup to hear it...he has no bluetooth in his phone and the music drains the battery on the headset quickly.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:31 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest bang for the buck is going from the TC-88 to the 95. You will see the largest gain in performance there. The additional expense of pulling the engine to do the 103 versus the gain in performance from a 95 to a 103 is not worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Bluerose

I got it now....hubby started saying he really wants me to ride on his when he gets a touring bike for long ride....

Maybe he figures if I have my own then I won't want to ride with him....I'll be showing up to the Far off HDForum rides on the back of a Goldwing (he really deserves ribbing...he has been at me all day).

I showed him the bike...he said if I want it get it he doesn't want tohear about it....lol....I did my job. Now jsut to make the decision before they are all gone. Just not sure...

Old 07-01-2007, 11:13 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Unless you are getting one heck of a deal on an 07, wait two months for the 08. And what touring bike is it that you want?

Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 AM
Bluerose

I was looking at the street glide. I love my bike but want some of what the touring bikes have....the only good deal is the interest rate right now. I could just wait until october/november and get a better deal...or better yet evenFebruary after I get my Bonus. I was mostly looking at the interest rate and my dealer did have a $500 of acc. but I looked today and that seems to have passed.

In the meantime, I'm doing some research on softail air shocks andcommunications/sound systems. A slighly better ride and some tunes might be enough.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 AM
bobros
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

The biggest bang for the buck is going from the TC-88 to the 95. You will see the largest gain in performance there. The additional expense of pulling the engine to do the 103 versus the gain in performance from a 95 to a 103 is not worth the $$$ in my opinion.
I agree. A 95 upgrade will probably give you all you need for under $1500. The saving could go towards your other upgrades. you will probably take a big hit selling and trading, bigger.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:26 AM
okiehogg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what YOU want to do, isn't that what biking is all about? Sell your softail for a decent price, get a used 07 Police bike with the 103" and your back on the road.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: bobros

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

I agree. A 95 upgrade will probably give you all you need for under $1500. The saving could go towards your other upgrades. you will probably take a big hit selling and trading, bigger.
Yeah maybe I'll wait...for now...he may have said to buy it but he didn't mean it...I'm sure I can do what I want with even the extra down payment I would have put on the new bike...

There are definately things I would miss about my bike.I worked out the numbers and we went over them....We'll see what happens. He gets the next bike....

Old 07-02-2007, 01:05 AM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn skippy Bluerose..the Street Glide is a GREAT bike...I love mine and it handles great at low speed even with the weight.

I don't think there will be big changes to the 08s except maybe on the throttle..but who really knows?

Be aware though they do run lean and hot so plan on at least a stage 1 and tuner if you go with the newer engine. I love mine though and I bet you would too.

ps: I'm thinking your hubby wants an ultra for himself

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

I was looking at the street glide. I love my bike but want some of what the touring bikes have....the only good deal is the interest rate right now. I could just wait until october/november and get a better deal...or better yet evenFebruary after I get my Bonus. I was mostly looking at the interest rate and my dealer did have a $500 of acc. but I looked today and that seems to have passed.

In the meantime, I'm doing some research on softail air shocks andcommunications/sound systems. A slighly better ride and some tunes might be enough.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Bluerose

Actually Hubby is a Honda Guy...He really wants a Goldwing...that is our next rental. I might rent a street glide and take it on my normal ride to work and back...that will really tell me a lot about the difference in ride.

ORIGINAL: celtlion

Damn skippy Bluerose..the Street Glide is a GREAT bike...I love mine and it handles great at low speed even with the weight.

I don't think there will be big changes to the 08s except maybe on the throttle..but who really knows?

Be aware though they do run lean and hot so plan on at least a stage 1 and tuner if you go with the newer engine. I love mine though and I bet you would too.

ps: I'm thinking your hubby wants an ultra for himself

ORIGINAL: Bluerose

Quick Reply: Well guess I'm not going with a touring bike...