General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Incredible earbuds

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:05 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
suddenly I feel much better about the $139
Sheit
All HD has to do is pick it up and sell it under "SE" as a stage kit for 599.00 dollars then it would be OKwithh everyone
ESp if they manage to get a chrome strip on it somewheres ...

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 06:15 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Has anyone found some reasonably priced wireless/bluetooth earbuds that are slim enough to wear a helmet? The ones that are connected together on a strap with the controls in the center are getting better for battery life. Just havent found one that fits under $50. I like leaving my phone in the bag and being able to listen to tunes or just cancel out the windnoise would be nice.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,089 Likes on 441 Posts

I hear ya brother.....me too....believe me, but I am on call 24/7-7 for medical purposes so MUST answer the phone if it rings. No choice in the matter.
ATM, my only option :-( is to NOT RIDE that week. (about 1week out of 5 currently, which super sux in our limited season up here.)

If I could find an option to answer perhaps one or two calls per week while on the bike, I think that would be OK.

Even if it was just to say "hello, <my name< speaking....can I call you back in 1 minute?"...that would work.

p.s.-if I could find a nice pair of buds like this, I could snowblow the driveway and mow the lawn with the same ones. Currently I have to leave my phone inside with a family member (when I'm on call) as I can't hear it ring performing any of these very loud tasks or riding.
Put a Sena system in a full face helmet. When someone calls me they can't even tell I'm on the bike going down the highway at 80 mph.
Plus it works great for music and bike to bike communications.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 AM
GHarris
Cruiser
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I second the Sena system. I too must be available to answer calls at times. Music is good on long rides and helps cut down or cover up wind noise. You get bike to bike communication as well which is good when traveling.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:46 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,066 Likes on 12,183 Posts

I have the Sena SMH 10 and it's so-so. The sound is far from great, but likewise, the mic works great and callers have no idea. I've heard mixed reviews on the 20. Once they have a solid product I can be sure works great I'll probably upgrade to that. The biggest thing is, with a FF helmet, I need earplugs so the speakers really need to crank. That or some noise cancelling pods would be a Godsend.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:08 PM
Mike (Asheville)
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a bit surprised at some of the hate but even more surprised by the all the complaints about cost, particularly from a crowd that in general overspends on their motorcycles (which admittedly I've been quite happy to do myself).

Anyway, I'll respond to a few of the issues raised and questions asked.

These earbuds, which are wireless and bluetooth, are much, much slimmer than Bose, which I also own and use at the gym, etc. They actually sit inside the ear. I wear Arai helmets and couldn't find any bluetooth earbuds that stayed in place while pulling my lid on. These do.

As for comfort on long rides, I can't comment other than to say I've worn them for 3 hours and didn't experience any discomfort at all. I find them surprisingly comfortable.

The mic rests on the front of your chin, not below it. It feels weird initially but you don't feel it after the first couple of minutes. It's completely shielded from wind and works well at very high speeds. The cool thing about the mic setup is that it actually picks up and mixes ambient noise with the music you're listening to, so you can still hear traffic sounds, albeit less loudly. As for looks, I don't plan on wearing these without a helmet on but, if I did, I'd put the mic on the back of my neck as is the design typical with many other bluetooth earbuds.

Answering the phone is not ideal, but it's easy enough so long as your index finger fits between your chin and the helmet chin bar. It takes just a momentary bump on the power button to answer the phone. I mainly wear summer weight leather gloves and have no problem with my snug fitting Arai. I don't think cold weather gloves would work but haven't tried. The "yet to be launched" remote control is supposed to provide enhanced phone and music playing functionality.

I noticed EOS had a 15% discount over Columbus Day. I bought mine through Amazon, so I know the discount was based not on my purchase but on my subscription on their website.

Finally, lest I be accused of pushing this product in my own interest, I have absolutely no connection with nor any investment in this company.

The following users liked this post:
ve9aa (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

....but with any of them, how do you guys answer a phone call?
The same way I answered phone calls before cell phones were invented. Remember back in the 70s and 80s when there was only one phone in the house hanging on THE WALL!? How did we ever survive? LOL

If I’m out riding, callers can leave me a message. I’ll call back when I pull over somewhere.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:15 PM
smartie74
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use one of these in my right ear for alerts from Waze, i.e. road hazards, police, accidents, etc...

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-10-2018, 03:22 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraJim

The same way I answered phone calls before cell phones were invented. Remember back in the 70s and 80s when there was only one phone in the house hanging on THE WALL!? How did we ever survive? LOL

If I’m out riding, callers can leave me a message. I’ll call back when I pull over somewhere.
That's all well and good smartass, but I have NO CHOICE, as I stated multiple times. I am on call one week in 5 related to the medical field and I better damn well answer the phone or else. Won't go into the details (nobody cares) other than to reiterate it must be answered. Nuff said.

Thanks Mike for the explanation. I can't get a finger between chin and helmet, so will wait for the remote. If it works, I'd be willing to drop 2 bills on the whole deal...

Old 10-10-2018, 03:38 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,753 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike (Asheville)
If you're a solo rider, wear a full face helmet and like listening to music or need to take phone calls while riding, you have to check out Slimbuds. I bought them after months of searching. They are fabulous!
If I want to go "plugged in", I think my Skull Candy earbuds work EXCELLENT!! They cut back on the road/wind noise, and you don't have to crank your music to hear it clearly, plus it seems to pump out the bass well, which most earbuds don't. On top of that, my son got them for me, so I KNOW they're less than $20.

Quick Reply: Incredible earbuds