General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fees associated with new Harely these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 11:27 PM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,777 Likes on 6,696 Posts

Imagine going through this type of horse **** buying a loaf of bread.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:45 AM
gscully
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

The only number you want to worry about is the out the door price. I bought a 2018 heritage in April for msrp plus tax. They lowered the price of the bike then tacked on their fees to bring the price back up to msrp. I was happy with the price. They could have charged me 1000 for the bike and 18000 in fees. It doesn’t matter. The only number that matters is the final Out The Door price.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:32 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

you wil lpay exactly what you write a check for or agree too. These dealers are no different than anybody else but we are making an emotional expensive purchase. keep your wits about you. you got thru this world for the last 50 years Harley dealers are not that scary . decide what you want ahead of time im sure you been thrown out of better places!

Old 10-07-2018, 08:50 AM
jz78817
Road Master
Received 287 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by coop creek
It's no different than buying a car. Pick a model, go to a few dealers and negotiate for the best price. You don't have to pay the MSRP.
this. the days where dealers could ask any price (and get it) are gone. I wouldn't say I got a "screaming" deal on my SGS, but after a bit of back and forth I got sufficient movement on the trade in and price. and the dealer put it all on a sheet with everything laid out line by line. of course they emphasized monthly payment, but the real numbers were not hidden at all.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:13 AM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Only way that works is if you let it happen....know what you want before entering the store.

As for fees, freight charges for each model are clearly stated on H-D's website. Also on the website is a statement that Harley reimburses dealers for pre-delivery setup. Dealers don't like you knowing that, so expect denials when you hit them with this fact.
I've been preaching this for awhile but know one seems to listen. In fact last year I started a thread on bogus setup fees. I recently bought a 2019 RGS and had to walk away from one dealership who tried to charge for setup fees.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

Just do your home work and don't get caught up in all the fees. The bottom line is all that matters. I told them I will have my CU send a draft for "X" amount for that bike. They can pencil hump the numbers whichever way they want to do so. As long as the bottom line isn't over "X" amount it doesn't matter.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:10 PM
ShadowforNow
Tourer
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mazz
you wil lpay exactly what you write a check for or agree too. These dealers are no different than anybody else but we are making an emotional expensive purchase. keep your wits about you. you got thru this world for the last 50 years Harley dealers are not that scary . decide what you want ahead of time im sure you been thrown out of better places!
I enjoyed reading this post. I guess I put my age on the profile. I didn't understand the part I put in bold, though.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,325 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
Boats and bikes and convertibles, buy 'em when the snow is flying!
Hey, don’t forget sleds! I saved thousands buying one last April! (Motivated seller!)

Old 10-08-2018, 06:18 AM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
I enjoyed reading this post. I guess I put my age on the profile. I didn't understand the part I put in bold, though.
That part about being thrown out of better places. Just something guys say. Welcome to America.

And let me agree with others that the individual line item charges should not be your main focus. out the door price is where it is at.

walking away because you refuse to pay setup fee for example is foolish. just take that amount off the price(or doc fee or whatever) and move on.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:33 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowforNow
i dont know where Conus is but thrown out of better places is just a phrase telling u not to be intimated by the fancy dealership. It might be from a marks brothers movie?
In fact I have been thrown out of better places !

Quick Reply: Fees associated with new Harely these days?