General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy fixes/rigged repairs - pictures please

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:59 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 17,007 Likes on 8,648 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
OH ****! Death warmed over!

Originally Posted by Cbyway
Was working a club job in SW Houston back in the 80's. An incident broke out where shots were fired in the parking lot. Unfortunately, an old Springer took what looked like a .22 round to the fuel tank. Owner of said bike came out to leave and saw the bullet hole. He walked across the street to a 7-11, bought a 1 gallon gas can, one gallon of gas and a large bar of ivory soap.

Came back, crammed the soap in the hole like it was putty, smoothed it out with his drivers license. Filled the tank, fired it up and rode off.
`Hope he wasn`t smoking a cigarette when he drove off.

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
A friend of mine had a problem with his inner primary bolts coming loose and nothing he did would work until he did this...
Holy ****!

Originally Posted by OzHD
I think this deserves a mention:

About at the top of the "redneck" scale.

Last edited by mud; 10-28-2018 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:37 PM
BB.No8
Tourer
Received 241 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
Heading home from Sturgis to eastern Wisconsin (850 miles), my buddy's shifter link broke in S. Dakota. I put it back together with a zip tie and it lasted the rest of the trip.
Same thing happened to me about an hour outside of Las Vegas except I was headed to Sturgis. I fixed mine with a small 6" black bungee cord. Rode it like that for the rest of the trip back to SoCal.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:47 PM
BB.No8
Tourer
Received 241 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SixDD
Just for fun. If you have any picture(s) to share of crazy fixes/rigged repairs to show the group, vice grips for a gear-shifter for example. Show us what you have seen, or you can just post an explanation of some crazy fix you have seen.
Comming back from Sturgis my buddies stator took a dump in Worland WO on a Saturday afternoon. We rigged up this battery to the m/c battery so that the bike would run off of it. We had disconnected all of the non essential electrical so that only the motor and FI were drawing power. Rode it like that all the way to St George UT.

Attached Thumbnails Crazy fixes/rigged repairs - pictures please-blue-with-rv-battery.bmp  
The following users liked this post:
kap1 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 814 Posts

Not too crazy, but a few years ago, I was on my way to Chicago from Ottawa, and about halfway there, I had to pull over under an overpass to put my rain gear on, and there was another bike already pulled over. When I dismounted, the rider came over to ma and pointed out that my headlight was hanging out of the bucket. At some point, the screw holding the bezel on fell out, and the bezel fell off. I never felt anything hit y legs, or noticed it happen, so I don't know how long I was riding down the interstate with the thing hanging out of the bucket. Anyway to cut it short: duct tape to the rescue! Since (of course), the bezel was out of stack at any nearby dealers, I had to wait about a week for a new one to arrive. The duct tape held up fine, even through a couple of heavy downpours!

I've also had to use duct tape to hold broken front turn signals on a few times!

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 10-27-2018 at 08:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bonnie Storm (10-27-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,989 Likes on 17,899 Posts

Originally Posted by Clammy
Not too crazy, but a few years ago, I was on my way to Chicago from Ottawa, and about halfway there, I had to pull over under an overpass to put my rain gear on, and there was another bike already pulled over. When I dismounted, the rider came over to ma and pointed out that my headlight was hanging out of the bucket. At some point, the screw holding the bezel on fell out, and the bezel fell off. I never felt anything hit y legs, or noticed it happen, so I don't know how long I was riding down the interstate with the thing hanging out of the bucket. Anyway to cut it short: duct tape to the rescue! Since (of course), the bezel was out of stack at any nearby dealers, I had to wait about a week for a new one to arrive. The duct tape held up fine, even through a couple of heavy downpours!

I've also had to use duct tape to hold broken front turn signals on a few times!

Cheers!

Road trip with a partner and his rat 52 panhead got that same treatment, we ended up taping the headlight ring, the taillight and and the seat to the fender before that trip was over.

The following 2 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Bonnie Storm (10-29-2018), Clammy (10-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,989 Likes on 17,899 Posts

Got a recent one, guy I work with lost his pipe pulling into the parking lot at work thursday morning. Broke just in back of the "Y" connection. His commute is 100mi. a day round trip and he rides daily rain or shine. did this little rig till he can get it into the shop this week, 350mi so far and still holding.