General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycly Drill Team

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts
Default Motorcycly Drill Team

Did a search of the forum but nothing poped up for this topic.

I know the most popular use of a H-D motorcycle by riders contributing on this forum is to get on it and ride hundreds of miles at one time, and often, at excessive speeds.

However, I was just wondering if there are any riders amoungst you out there that like to do drill team manuvers like the Police teams do? Do any of you like to find an empty parking lot and do a lot of slow manuvers never getting out of first gear like: straight and circular slamons, figure eights, decreasing size circles, sequential U-turns, no-feet stop and go's, etc.?

As a result of not riding for overe 40 years and then returning to riding a much bigger bike than I was use to, I found I had great difficulty making turns of different types, especially U-turns. So I took the advice of many posters hereon and began to do a lot of PLP (Parking LOt Pratice). Well, like a lot of things, I have become kind of addicted to this kind of riding. I find it chalenging and a lot of fun to constantly push the skill level. I have been practicing regularly a couple of hours a week.

When I started out I needed a lot of room to do circles and u-turns. Now I can do them and others turning manuvers in fairly small spaces. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anywhere near the skills the Police drill team members display, but I'm doing a lot better than when I started to ride my Cherry a year ago. Making my busy traffic street riding a lot more confident.

Like many have said, it is easy to go straight, but sometimes it is necessary to turn around.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-05-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

I did the Ride Like a Pro video and have set up and practiced the drills a number of times, so while I am nowhere what those guys are, it helped my competence and I still sometimes will do some of the drills using the parking lines as boundaries.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:58 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

If i had a bike that i didn't care if it fell over i would do that all the time. Great fun but not on my new bike... might be something to start as a weekend/weeknight get together with like minded individuals who have spare money to invest in a old bike setup just for that, till some one runs you out of the parking lot...

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,743 Likes on 3,106 Posts

Do it all the time. When I say "all the time," that means I do "limited space maneuvers" daily. Sometimes, it's only a few circles/figure 8s. Sometimes, I do the same cone zone course as the CHP and City cops do.
To become proficient at any skill, practice must occur on a regular basis.
I find it fun, as well as challenging. I encourage every rider to become proficient at riding their own bike. So much so, that I became a certed ridercoach. I also instruct more advanced riders too...

The following 2 users liked this post by NORTY FLATZ:
FrankEV (10-05-2018), Halojumper (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:15 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,649 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I know the most popular use of a H-D motorcycle by riders contributing on this forum is to get on it and ride hundreds of miles at one time, and often, at excessive speeds.
I’ve never got that impression.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:20 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
I did the Ride Like a Pro video and have set up and practiced the drills a number of times, so while I am nowhere what those guys are, it helped my competence and I still sometimes will do some of the drills using the parking lines as boundaries.
I got one of those videos also. It really improved my slow speed technique. Not saying I ride like the Motorman yet, but I can do u-turns and maneuver through gas stations, parking lots etc with confidence and without duck-walking - usually. I still put my feet down sometimes rather than risk bumping a car or tipping over but I'm definitely a lot better.

Highly recommend getting one of the videos.

Old 10-05-2018, 02:33 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,081 Likes on 12,017 Posts

Back in the day I was a member of a police drill team. It takes a lot of practice, a least twice a week for three months on a dead end, deserted street before a performance. Usually our shows were combined with a parade through town on a major holiday, like the 4th of July and Memorial Day. Lot's of choreographing the moves, examples of which can be found on You Tube.
Only civilian team I can think of at the moment are the Shriner's. I think Oakland PD still has a team.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:35 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by 5150northrider
If i had a bike that i didn't care if it fell over i would do that all the time. Great fun but not on my new bike... might be something to start as a weekend/weeknight get together with like minded individuals who have spare money to invest in a old bike setup just for that, till some one runs you out of the parking lot...
Yeah, been run out of two so far, but found one that nobody is around early in the day.

It sounds like you may be afraid to do such manuvers if you think you have to have a bike that you don't care about if it falls over. At my local dealer parking lot the HOG group holds a PLP with certified instructors once a month. 20 to 30 bikes of all sizes show up each month. Many are seasonded riders on very good looking bikes and quite a few are newbe's on their brand new bikes and trikes. Only saw one of the veteran riders try to go to a little too far and let it lay over onto the engine guards. Going so slow, no damage...just got off and picked it back up by himself like nothing ever happened.

As someone else mentioned it take a lot of practice and learning not to go beyond your capabilities too far too quickly. I should mention I've had a few OH OH moments, but with a quick clutch release the bike jumps right back up and I have been able to save it. As I get more proficient it is not happening as much these days.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:08 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
Yeah, been run out of two so far, but found one that nobody is around early in the day.

It sounds like you may be afraid to do such manuvers if you think you have to have a bike that you don't care about if it falls over. At my local dealer parking lot the HOG group holds a PLP with certified instructors once a month. 20 to 30 bikes of all sizes show up each month. Many are seasonded riders on very good looking bikes and quite a few are newbe's on their brand new bikes and trikes. Only saw one of the veteran riders try to go to a little too far and let it lay over onto the engine guards. Going so slow, no damage...just got off and picked it back up by himself like nothing ever happened.

As someone else mentioned it take a lot of practice and learning not to go beyond your capabilities too far too quickly. I should mention I've had a few OH OH moments, but with a quick clutch release the bike jumps right back up and I have been able to save it. As I get more proficient it is not happening as much these days.
no fear on my end... i could use my good bikes but I'm not about to... the reason for the need to use a bike i wouldn't care if it dropped is to push the limits and not care...

Last edited by 5150northrider; 10-05-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:08 PM
Dieselss
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Few on here did the 115th skills contest.

Quick Reply: Motorcycly Drill Team