General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycly Drill Team

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:36 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Yep! Love me some cones!

Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

If any riders in my local area pick up this thread and may be interested in getting together for some PLP work during the week...PM me.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:06 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts

A Happy Good Morning To You Frankie,

I was arguably on a well known drill team. I used to informally teach the Ride Like A Pro or Motorman techniques which includes your U turns. <-- And I mean lock and scrape (the floorboards...BOTH sides) at the same time. As well as having 3 IBA awards, 1 being an extreme ride. So maybe I can share info with you that may be of some assistance.

You are up in Ormond Beach, so my friend since drill teams take a lot of practice, no less than weekly usually preferably more at the beginning, your appeal would need to be to local riders.

You may want to go to the regional section in HDF and bring this up with the Florida group.

Also, if u would like me to put u in touch with the very long time Director of a pretty famous Drill Team, I would be happy to do that. I am VERY sure he would like to talk with you and share his extensive knowledge.

I applaud you on your efforts.

Lastly, I would like to share with you what I shared with all of my students who were learning sharp lock/scrape turns.....
1) Do not scrape the floorboards when you are outside the training area.
2) Do NOT get cocky. <-- Very important. I know whipping around, popping U turns so expertly especially when fellow riders are looking with their jaw dropping (even the big ego guys), getting cocky will not bode well for you.

I am HAPPY with what you have done on your bike and for what you are looking to do drill team wise.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I support your effrots.

BuzzCap7

Old 10-06-2018, 08:13 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,744 Likes on 3,106 Posts

Using someone else's bike for training is like using a range gun for requal for a cert. You need to use the tool you are used to, especially if there's a sudden "need."

Old 10-06-2018, 08:23 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Using someone else's bike for training is like using a range gun for requal for a cert. You need to use the tool you are used to, especially if there's a sudden "need."
Norty hit the nail on the head. This is very important IMHO.

BuzzCap7

Old 10-06-2018, 08:30 AM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
A Happy Good Morning To You Frankie,

I was arguably on a well known drill team. I used to informally teach the Ride Like A Pro or Motorman techniques which includes your U turns. <-- And I mean lock and scrape (the floorboards...BOTH sides) at the same time. As well as having 3 IBA awards, 1 being an extreme ride. So maybe I can share info with you that may be of some assistance.

You are up in Ormond Beach, so my friend since drill teams take a lot of practice, no less than weekly usually preferably more at the beginning, your appeal would need to be to local riders.

You may want to go to the regional section in HDF and bring this up with the Florida group.

Also, if u would like me to put u in touch with the very long time Director of a pretty famous Drill Team, I would be happy to do that. I am VERY sure he would like to talk with you and share his extensive knowledge.

I applaud you on your efforts.

Lastly, I would like to share with you what I shared with all of my students who were learning sharp lock/scrape turns.....
1) Do not scrape the floorboards when you are outside the training area.
2) Do NOT get cocky. <-- Very important. I know whipping around, popping U turns so expertly especially when fellow riders are looking with their jaw dropping (even the big ego guys), getting cocky will not bode well for you.

I am HAPPY with what you have done on your bike and for what you are looking to do drill team wise.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! I support your effrots.

BuzzCap7
My note was to local riders (if any) in my very local area....Ormond Beach or surounding neighborhoods.. Might be enjoyable to practice with 1 or 2 others now and then...non-competitively.
My intentions are not to join or create a motorcycle drill team. I'm simply enjoying doing PLP for my own personal skill level improvement.
I'm basicly practicing what the Certified instructors who lead the Hog PLP group have shown us. However, they only do it only once a month and I found I needed to do a lot more in order to improve my handeling skills..
Yeah, I can scrape my foot boards, but I don't try to regularly as I don't feel I have become that proficient. I'm still doing the manuvers at relatively slow speeds, but getting a little quicker through the course I have set up as time goes by.
On the street, I try to use the improved skils when on my local busy roads to make u-turns - with out needing 3 lanes to do so - and the like. Makes it easier to move around in parking lots and gas stations also.
Thank you very much for you comments and encouragements. Really apreciated.

Last edited by FrankEV; 10-06-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:54 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member

You are very welcome my friend. Well said.

I wish more riders had your enthusiasm, skill, and interest in having a greater command of the bike thereby making them better riders and safer at the same time.

KUDOs to you!!!!

BuzzCap7