General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helped a downed rider on my way to work this morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018 | 02:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Sounds like the 101, I avoid that road at all costs on the bike anymore if possible.

Old 10-06-2018 | 11:35 PM
'Ol dirty biker
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soldierbot
props for stopping and offering assistance....hope the driver is caught.
Agree on both counts.

When I see a fellow rider down or hear about it I get knots in my stomach.

Old 10-07-2018 | 12:45 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior

I work for a hospital, was reading the notes from a radilogist about a mc rider accident the other day, he had a half helmet on at the time. Half that guys jaw was gone, his face was hamburger. Dont believe the BS about how its safe to wear one. Wear a full face and forget about how cool you look or how free you feel wearing a skid lid.

The following 2 users liked this post by saltlick:
shorelasHD (10-07-2018), steves86ta (10-08-2018)
Old 10-07-2018 | 01:17 PM
Capt Steve
Road Captain
Question Or...

"As I know see bikers on you tube lane splitting I shudder at the thought that I was insane enough to do that for many years. All I can say is that I rolled the dice and I won."

Sounds to me like you didn't lose. Not much to be won by lane splitting.

As always... opinions and YMMV.

Old 10-07-2018 | 01:44 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by saltlick
I work for a hospital, was reading the notes from a radilogist about a mc rider accident the other day, he had a half helmet on at the time. Half that guys jaw was gone, his face was hamburger. Dont believe the BS about how its safe to wear one. Wear a full face and forget about how cool you look or how free you feel wearing a skid lid.
I spent much of my career fixing faces. and wouldn't think of riding with anything less than a modular/FF. If I posted some of the photos I took I would be banned from the Forum. That said, there's a retired neurosurgeon in our little Florida town that rides his Harley without a helmet. Go figure...

Originally Posted by badfish0024
THIS. The majority of cars in California understand the rules of lane splitting and will SOMEWHAT watch and respect. But it definitely takes time. So in other high traffic areas, it would need to be worked into the system.
The CARS understand nothing, it's the DRIVERS that are the problem. Lane splitting will NEVER EVER happen in NJ, and if by some miracle it does, the carnage on the highways will rival that seen in a minor war. Too many drivers come from countries where there are NO cars, let alone drivers licenses, we call it a DWA ( you guess what A stands for), every other vehicle on even the secondary roads is a truck, and all of the major arteries are dominated by semis. There's a nationwide shortage of drivers, and anything with a swinging d!ck can get a job driving a truck, regardless of ability to read street signs or speak english.

The beautiful state where I grew up and spent the first half of my life has become a lost cause in so many ways (just look NJ's two Senators! LOL). Best of luck to all you lane-splitting riders in California!

Old 10-07-2018 | 10:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Say what you will about lane sharing or splitting, you survive 30+ years doing it daily it makes you a better rider and seriously fine tunes your situational awareness. Bay area traffic isn't something to be taken lightly if expect to survive out here lane sharing or not.

Old 10-08-2018 | 10:04 AM
steves86ta
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Say what you will about lane sharing or splitting, you survive 30+ years doing it daily it makes you a better rider and seriously fine tunes your situational awareness. Bay area traffic isn't something to be taken lightly if expect to survive out here lane sharing or not.
i agree with this... im from southern california and i am temporarily commuting in the northern california area for now.

Between LA and Bay Area traffic... ill take bay area...

I think they have more motorcycle riders in the area, so that makes them more aware... In my personal experience, the bay area drivers leave me more room than the southern california drivers...

The following 2 users liked this post by steves86ta:
Bigaj2 (10-08-2018), TwiZted Biker (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018 | 11:29 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
I-287 in Edison NJ at 8:30 AM and see how long you last. I promise you will be squashed like cockroach between the semis and the third-worlders in minutes!
That's about 5 minutes from where I got clobbered last year. The 3rd worlders, the only thing worse are texting 3rd worlders... Ask me how I know...

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (10-11-2018)
Old 10-08-2018 | 12:04 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Supporter

Yesterday, I headed up into the Los Padres national forest with some riding buddies. We stopped at Reys Creek for lunch but I I had to head out early to get the Hollywood by 4 pm. As I was making my way off the mountain I saw a motorcyclist who's bike was tipped over on the side of the road. I stopped and offered assistance. The rider was an older gentlemen riding an ultra limited. The side of the road was very soft sand and I guess he had pulled over to check his phone and lost balance in the soft stuff and down she went. I helped him get the bike back up and helped him to move it out of the soft stuff and back onto the pavement. He said he had been standing by the bike for about half an hour and nobody had driven by he could flag down. I followed him a bit as he seemed rather shook up....he was doing ok so I turned and headed off my way.

Being in the right place at the right time.

The following 3 users liked this post by soldierbot:
Bigaj2 (10-08-2018), shorelasHD (10-11-2018), TwiZted Biker (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018 | 02:38 PM
M8USA
Road Master

Originally Posted by steves86ta
i agree with this... im from southern california and i am temporarily commuting in the northern california area for now.

Between LA and Bay Area traffic... ill take bay area...

I think they have more motorcycle riders in the area, so that makes them more aware... In my personal experience, the bay area drivers leave me more room than the southern california drivers...
Right on, same as jumping off the bay bridge makes you a better swimmer.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (10-11-2018)