General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helped a downed rider on my way to work this morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018 | 02:57 PM
J_MOSH
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by upflying
which brings up a good question..should you stop and assist the down rider or chase the hit and run driver?
Well I guess the thing to do would be stop at the rider, make sure they are a) OK and b) able to get up and out of harms way. And then follow the car while not getting yourself mangled in the process. Think that's how I'd play it if the situation called for it .

Old 10-05-2018 | 02:58 PM
soldierbot
Supporter
Supporter

Originally Posted by upflying
which brings up a good question..should you stop and assist the down rider or chase the hit and run driver?
Hmmm...decisions, decisions. If I had time to think about it I would probably try to see the license plate of the car first....but human nature kicks in and the urge is to get to the downed rider as soon as possible takes over.

Old 10-05-2018 | 03:03 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buster217
I used to live in the Bay Area and I did lane-split when traffic was slow. Not sure I would agree with you that lane splitting is safer than staying in lane, particularly if traffic is moving at 25+ mph. Your single anecdote doesn't really prove anything. If traffic is moving, someone can suddenly come over at you regardless of whether you are splitting or in-lane. And when you are splitting, you have less time to react if they are already just a couple feet or less away from you. Seems to me that the slower traffic is moving, the safer lane splitting is and above a certain threshold, like 25-30 mph, I think it starts to get quite a bit dicier.

Not saying you are wrong, just offering another perspective.
My thoughts exactly, except that lane splitting is dangerous even if traffic is stopped, and downright suicidal if traffic is moving. Yes, I know all the arguments, there's been dozens of threads on the forum about this topic. If you doubt, I invite you to lane split on I-287 in Edison NJ at 8:30 AM and see how long you last. I promise you will be squashed like cockroach between the semis and the third-worlders in minutes!

Old 10-05-2018 | 05:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
If you doubt, I invite you to lane split on I-287 in Edison NJ at 8:30 AM and see how long you last. I promise you will be squashed like cockroach between the semis and the third-worlders in minutes!
thats not a valid argument. of course it's going to be suicidal in nj. lane splitting is only legal in ca. anywhere else and drivers won't be expecting it. in fact, they'll probably default to the 'oh hell no, you aren't getting ahead of me' mode.

hope they catch the hit and run driver.

The following 4 users liked this post by skratch:
BTLorys (10-09-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (10-08-2018), Sarah93003 (10-06-2018), TwiZted Biker (10-07-2018)
Old 10-05-2018 | 05:41 PM
badfish0024
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skratch
thats not a valid argument. of course it's going to be suicidal in nj. lane splitting is only legal in ca. anywhere else and drivers won't be expecting it. in fact, they'll probably default to the 'oh hell no, you aren't getting ahead of me' mode.

hope they catch the hit and run driver.

THIS. The majority of cars in California understand the rules of lane splitting and will SOMEWHAT watch and respect. But it definitely takes time. So in other high traffic areas, it would need to be worked into the system.

The following users liked this post:
Sarah93003 (10-06-2018)
Old 10-05-2018 | 07:49 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Good on the OP for assisting the downed rider.
Since you are in the Bay area, please check out "Accident Scene Mgmt." courses.
Or "Doc Wong's" riding classes.

Old 10-05-2018 | 08:16 PM
M8USA
Road Master

Not sure what I would have done but now knowing it about it, I would go after the car. You are in traffic and there are other vehicles that can stop & call 911. Getting the vehicle might be a big plus to the biker by having someone pay for the liability & property damages and any possible lawsuit.

As I know see bikers on you tube lane splitting I shudder at the thought that I was insane enough to do that for many years. All I can say is that I rolled the dice and I won.

Old 10-05-2018 | 08:39 PM
HubBub
Tourer

I use to drive through the Bay Area every day. I've been clipped on the Altamont and didn't go down, thank god. The freakiest is lane splitting up the Sunol grade anytime after 1:30pm. We use to lane split in rows at 65-70 in stopped traffic. Definitely a hair-raiser.

Old 10-06-2018 | 02:41 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soldierbot
props for stopping and offering assistance....hope the driver is caught and charged.
There, I fixed it for you
Sometimes it is meant to be...being in the right place at the right time.
For the downed rider another Thank You.
Rob

Old 10-06-2018 | 02:52 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by M8USA
Not sure what I would have done but now knowing it about it, I would go after the car. You are in traffic and there are other vehicles that can stop & call 911. Getting the vehicle might be a big plus to the biker by having someone pay for the liability & property damages and any possible lawsuit.

As I know see bikers on you tube lane splitting I shudder at the thought that I was insane enough to do that for many years. All I can say is that I rolled the dice and I won.
That's what I would have done. Seeing the impact was slight and the rider wasn't mortally wounded and traffic was slow and heavy anyway, chances are the down rider will be safe from traffic who will stop before running him over. My pet peeve has always been people who do not accept responsibility for their actions. I would have followed the hit and run driver until I could get CHP to intercept the driver. Yep, I have 911 speed dialed in my Sena 20S.

Quick Reply: Helped a downed rider on my way to work this morning