General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wish someone would have warned me….

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:47 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,642 Likes on 2,392 Posts
Default I wish someone would have warned me….

…that when you pick up your first Harley you will constantly think of additional bikes and upgrades.

Picked up my bike a few months ago. First 200 miles were rough, as I had no idea what the hell I was doing. A part of me thought I had become "that guy" - poser who bought a huge bike and regrets it because he doesn't know how to handle it.

2,000 miles later and I get downright grumpy if I don't ride. I'm feeling confident, enjoying the ride and not stressing (though always aware and careful). I ride to work now, look for every opportunity to ride, and I just really enjoy it. Kicking myself that I didn't jump into the big touring game earlier in my life (I'm 46).

But here is the problem. I want ANOTHER bike. WTF? Probably will go in a different direction than Harley as I'd like to experience something "different" and have riding options. The KTM, BMW, Ducati and Triumph dealers are constantly on my mind. I've resisted, but for how long?

And then I go to the local Harley dealer and look at the 19s. Bigger engine. Exponential improvement on the infotainment system. Oh no. Should I trade in? Not gonna do it but it has been on my mind.

Just a rant from a random new Harley owner. I can't be the only one….

The following 4 users liked this post by wolverinehusky:
Grouser62 (09-20-2018), HiDrag (10-12-2019), Rev. Rev. (10-09-2019), soldierbot (10-08-2019)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Hannibal Smith
Road Captain
Received 456 Likes on 191 Posts

As long as you use them, more bikes is great!

My newest purchase is a used 2007 Moto Guzzi V7C. Its not very fast (tops out at around 110) but is super fun and nimble. The easiset bike to ride that I have experienced in all my riding life.

Purchased my first bike in 1994, and have only sold one. I have a few!

Maybe go opposite for the next bike, something more bare and very lightweight.

Have fun.

Last edited by Hannibal Smith; 09-19-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

You sound just like me. At 54 (last summer) I bought a big (for me) Road King Classic. No intention of selling it.

Already sat on a Triumph Bonneville Bobber Black and an Indian Scout Sixty, which both feel downright TINY (and I am not a big guy at all), but did have KLR650's in mind until I came to my senses and realized I am no shape to go off roading.

Wouldn't mind something different/smaller. Even considered a Honda Rebel 500 or a Royal Enfield 500 Classic just for going to work and back, then realized my Harley is paid for and comfy as heck.

I have no basis for comparison....haven't rode bikes in nearly 40 yrs, but they tell me this RKC is nearly as "cushy" as you can get.....but still I look at other bikes.

About the only type that DOES NOT interest me, is a crotch rocket like a Ninja or whatever. Those are just "no" in my mind. hahahaha

Last edited by ve9aa; 09-19-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-19-2018, 03:54 PM
oldsoldier181
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,586 Likes on 4,795 Posts

I started riding again only a few years ago, and am 48. When I was young, I grew up around bikes. My dad raced, I had dirt bikes, and my only transportation in high school was my Suzuki GS450. Then I went into the Army, and kinda forgot about it. fast forward until 4 years ago, I rode my buddy's sportster, and got the bug. Bought one, traded it a year later for my road king classic, which I currently ride. I put on about 6000 miles a season, give or take. Not bad being in New England .
I already have my sights set on a new bike. When the 120 editions come out, I will have enough saved for a good downpayment. So, you arent alone. Our tastes change, our riding style changes.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:09 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,642 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Yea. Also, to clarify I plan on keeping my Road Glide (I just can't justify trading it in for a newer biker of the same class, despite the improvements to the newer models).

But a smaller bike would be fun - maybe even a dual sport (I rode dirt bikes off and on for a bit).

Old 09-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 262 Posts

Got my first road bike back in May and could have wrote your first couple paragraphs myself. You lost me at wanting to buy another bike though.

I will say this...I see other riders and like their style a lot. I find myself wishing I 'looked' like that. Not me, per se, but the bike and rider combined. Should I have got a low rider? Those are the ones that look the coolest to me. Like that's what I wanted to be when I started this journey.

The only problem is (and I noticed this when I test drove) I really like the feel of riding my Heritage Classic. That feeling is so much more important to me than the look.

If I was going to buy another bike I think I would keep mine. Maybe I'd get a low rider or sportster just for putting over to the neighborhood bar or coffee shop and use the Heritage for longer commutes. Then get a Road King for the weekend trips? Damnit...now I need a bigger garage.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:16 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,685 Likes on 1,265 Posts

I am looking at getting an 82 XLSA Roadster (type of Sportster) and either making a bobber or restoring it for my own fun. I have my Softail for the long rides and now this Roadster for the bar hopping rides around town. I would like to get a road glide or Road King for serious touring, but I have time to wait, because I am sure the wife is going to want a Streetglide for herself, she now has a Softail. She started on a Sportster.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Spartanden
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,297 Likes on 6,040 Posts

fair warning.... you buy a bike you will wish for another/upgrades/fancy do-dads/and ways to spend more money!!!
I wish I could have kept the Sporty... but I can only ride one at a time, and room is a premium!!

Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,667 Likes on 2,539 Posts

well, I sometimes think about a pre-018 Deluxe or Slim S...you know; before they became Jap bikes, but I will keep my RK Classic forever, or until it starts to give me issues.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:47 PM
fegod
Cruiser

Received 111 Likes on 65 Posts

have a sportster and a street glide, think I need to add a softaiil and a dyna to the mix

Quick Reply: I wish someone would have warned me….