General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I wish someone would have warned me….

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 09:54 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 315 Likes on 216 Posts

After several years of having a second bikes for "backup" or "cool weather" riding I found that more often than not they sat in the garage while I kept on riding my trusty old 2002 Fat Boy. After a period of years I decided that it just wasn't worth it having another motorized vehicle around to maintain, insure, etc. Sold my last "second bike" early this summer and never looked back.
I may still pick up an older Electra Glide to keep around some day, but for now having one bike apiece for the wife and I works out just fine.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:24 PM
TexHwy16
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because it is the only motorcycle I have ever wanted. I'm not a big guy 5'-10" 155 lbs. so my 883 XL Custom and I blend together very well. I'll never own anything other than a HD...

Old 10-08-2019, 04:33 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

You're definitely not alone. I'd bet most on here feel the same way. I know I do. Three in the barn now and considering a 4th. They all happen to be Harleys, but I'd have no issue with going with a different brand if something spoke to me. Had a Royal Enfield a few years ago...total POS and while it was light and nimble, I always felt as though it could disintegrate under me at any moment while at speed. Had a few issues with it due to poor, (VERY), craftsmanship so I got rid of it after 8 months or so.

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I am a motorcycle ****. Join the club.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
More so with a Harley than any other vehicle - you bike is only the entry fee... It never stops..
This right here pretty much says it all. Also when the mod bug bites you, there is no known cure whatsoever.

The following users liked this post:
Rev. Rev. (10-09-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 07:06 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,518 Likes on 2,714 Posts

The more the merrier! 1 isn't enough and they all scratch a different itch.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 AM
JRose609
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
The more the merrier! 1 isn't enough and they all scratch a different itch.
A friend of mine had a Road Glide for long distance, but he also had a Sportster that he turned in to a Scrambler. It was ugly and heavy, but he rode it all over town and off road. It was actually a fun bike to ride, and he said the same as you, "it scratches an itch."

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:51 AM
ChopSticks
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I am a motorcycle ****. Join the club.
THIS! Been riding for quite some time but when I finally pulled the trigger on a 1200N a few years ago haven't looked back since. And after 30k miles I've bought another bike every single year since. A lot of people ask why someone "needs" that many, but I look at bikes like shoes, they all serve different purposes. The 1200N is great for city and commuting, I have an old '74 CB which is a project, Monster for when you want a thrill, Fatboy for distance, and CBR that is left out of state for when I'm away.

It's great and refreshing to hear most people here are open to other classes and brands

This might be cliche; but "Everyone dies, not everyone lives." Live your best life ya'll!

Old 10-09-2019, 11:03 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

my cage is a wrangler.. doubly whammy on modding crap

Old 10-09-2019, 11:49 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,738 Likes on 4,241 Posts

I'll be honest. I had no idea that I'd enjoy spending money on my bike like I do. I'm a pretty simple guy. I can be as happy with a quarter pounder as I am with a nice filet at a good steak house. I have an old pickup truck and haven't had payments on it for about a year. I can afford a replacement, but I just don't see the point. I'll get another 50-60k miles out of it and it suits me just fine. Colleagues at work have houses that are 3-4 times the value of my simple ranch in Eastpointe, MI. My wife and I do well. She works for one of the largest law firms in the country and I've been with my company as a leader for nearly 14 years. Again, we just don't see the point in leaving a house that is enough for us.

My bike on the other hand. I've lost my **** over this damn bike. I have spent money on doo-dads and add ons like I'm a drunk sailor. I could have gone with a less expensive alternative, but my bike caught my eye and to hell with reason and rhyme...I saw it and said to myself...

....I want that!

Responsible-me is not very happy with bought-a-motorcycle-me right now.

Quick Reply: I wish someone would have warned me….